Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I’m honestly not sure he’d be as expensive as you’d think. Look at what Cutter Gauthier was traded for, Drysdale is a good asset but not one that really knocks your socks off.

I feel like Pickering and a 2nd is a highly competitive offer for him. It could definitely get outbid but I feel that offer is at least competitive.
other teams are seeing blood in the water. no one is going to be offering top dollar.imo

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
If he’s willing to sign I’d swap Yager for McGroarty.

McGroarty is probably a slightly better prospect and also a little closer to being NHL-ready.
Could be done but as of now it's a one step forward, one step back move. We need more than one top six forward prospect. Ideally, McGroarty would be added without sacrificing Yager in the deal.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Attitude, confidence is huge…other players might not give it their all every night but players want to play with winners and Jarry isn’t that…so I get the sentiment…I’d rather not have him here because I think he’s paid too much for too long compared to what he brings.. we could bring in a platoon goalie for $2M that’s just as mid..rather put that $3M some place else
But that's my half point... This staff isn't winners and 80% of the roster has zero compete.

Just so strange to single jarry out for being a loser when the whole org is from ownership to equipment manager

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Yeah I think both Ullmark and Jarry get moved, with one going to Ottawa and one going to Detroit.

Jarry for Husso and futures would make a lot of sense to me. I suggested Jarry for Husso, Berggren and a 3rd on the main boards and got some likes from Wings fans (although there were also Wings fans who said they didn't want Jarry's deal at all), but I think that general neighborhood in value is pretty reasonable.

I honestly don't understand why Berggren spent most of last year in the AHL. He had 15 goals and 28 points in 67 games in the NHL in 2022-2023 and had 6 points in 12 games in the NHL this year, but he spent a huge majority of the year torching the AHL. Would be curious to hear from Wings fans for why he wasn't in the NHL at all last year.
There's a thread on main boards(haven't read any of it) saying Toronto's offer for Markstrom was similar to NJ's.

mrd1166

Jun 19, 2024
Pittsburgh
Dustin Wolf, best goalie in the AHL that past few seasons. Him and Vladar will split the games most likely. Flames are not looking to add a 5M goalie, they just traded one who is better than Jarry.
I don’t think there’s too many out there better than Jurry with the right team. I think Jurry would be a great Goalie, because he has shown signs of life. The fans in Pittsburgh don’t like him and I think it bothers him also he doesn’t like splitting time with anyone. He wants to be number one with no challengers. The penguins left him high and dry on defense hundreds of times it almost seems like they didn’t wanna play defense for him And they would play defense for Ned Edmonton is another team I would think for Jurry to go to, but I don’t know if they have the Space

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
The Athletic article mentions that McGroarty was hesitant to sign with Winnipeg because they weren't willing to promise him a path to playing time.

If I were I him I absolutely wouldn't trust Dubas/Mike Sullivan to provide such a path either lol. Sully hates prospects.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Boston wont trade Ullmark to the Leafs and the Leafs likely dont trade with Dubas. Who does that even leave them with? They will probably go for Stolarz or Talbot in FA i guess. The goalie market is super thin. If the team is serious about moving Jarry, it shouldnt be much of a problem (assuming his NTC isnt difficult)

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
The Athletic article mentions that McGroarty was hesitant to sign with Winnipeg because they weren't willing to promise him a path to playing time.

If I were I him I absolutely wouldn't trust Dubas/Mike Sullivan to provide such a path either lol. Sully hates prospects.

He’s an American playing in the NCAA.

Sully would put him on Crosby wing day one. He’s a Boston connection away from being the number one center over Sid

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Boston wont trade Ullmark to the Leafs and the Leafs likely dont trade with Dubas. Who does that even leave them with? They will probably go for Stolarz or Talbot in FA i guess. The goalie market is super thin. If the team is serious about moving Jarry, it shouldnt be much of a problem (assuming his NTC isnt difficult)

I think the situation with Ullmark is that he wants to stay on the east coast and pretty much the only teams in the Eastern conference who need a goalie upgrade are in Boston's division.

It's pretty much just Toronto, Ottawa or Detroit for Ullmark I think.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I think the situation with Ullmark is that he wants to stay on the east coast and pretty much the only teams in the Eastern conference who need a goalie upgrade are in Boston's division.

Oilers seem to be a darkhorse in all this as well. If (big if) they can find a way to dump Campbell, they could be in on Ullmark/Jarry

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

I think the other option for Ullmark is to stay in Boston. He has frequently talked about how much he loves being a Bruin, how much he loves his partnership with Swayman, etc.

The Bruins are going to sign Swayman to a lengthy extension this summer. But after July 1, they would be eligible to extend Ullmark. If he loves Boston that much, he might be willing to accept high-end backup money. Ned got $2.5M , so maybe $3M?

Boston would only have one year of (too) expensive goaltending, then back to normal.

That tandem is the foundation of that team. If they do what Bruins fans want, which is trade Ullmark and promote Brandon Bussi as the backup, they will take a definitive step back IMHO.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
If I had a five-team NTC, hmmmm...

Columbus (get your act together, then we'll talk)
Ottawa (new owner, same problems)
Carolina (that owner sucks)
Toronto (I mean, you wanna win, no?)
Utah (I can never see myself living there)

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Yager is in a dream situation here, is he not?

Malkin has 2 years left, max, based on his contract and Yager has no real competition for a 2nd line center spot. For that matter, Crosby is 37. Yager will waltz into the top 6 in a couple of years and even the first line. We'll be a bad team, but even bad teams score goals. He'll put up 70+ point seasons as our 1C and be in line for a big payday in RFA, even if he's not actually that good.

Famous last words, but Dubas has way too much riding on Yager to let Sully ruin him. Dubas' 1st pick, with no 1st rounder in 2024. Yager is going to get every opportunity to be a top-6 player here and a key player as soon as 2025.

Reactions: Jag68Sid87

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Man, adding McGroarty to the pool would be a tremendous win this off-season.

If you can do Pickering + 2nd, you take best dman available with the other 2nd. You then hope to trade Jarry and get a young dman back.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad