Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I hope he strips the team down.

There is no hope for this squad with Mike Sullivan and David Quinn at the helm.

Every other team in our division is making moves to be competitive.

We are running back a roster that failed two years in a row and wasn't even close last year to making a playoff spot.

At this point, I'd be floating everyone's name out there with retention including EK65.

Be very interesting if Sid doesn't sign July 1st.

Nah Torts will bench Michkov by midseason. He will be heading back to Russia by the years end. Gona be like when Radulov went back to Russia haha

Reactions: Maninthebox87

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think the point regarding Sullivan's track record of giving young players roles (or at least major roles) is an extremely valid point to mention regarding McGroarty. Even with his performance in the NCAA, I don't think Sullivan has really ever defaulted into playing a rookie in a significant role right out of the gate. Marino and Guentzel are probably the closest exceptions to doing that, but even in their cases, they were pretty damn sheltered at first when they came into the NHL.

With Marino, he was averaging under 17 minutes a night in his first 15-ish games and only jumped into a higher role after Letang got hurt. With Guentzel, he was playing only about 14 minutes a night and was bouncing around between Malkin's line and the 3rd line before he clicked with Crosby. Even if I think Sullivan's dislike of young players is overstated, I'm pretty certain that he wouldn't be offering McGroarty the kind of role he'd want out of the gate.

Has he earned that though? Realistically, how many NHL teams right now have a hole at 1/2C that they would gift to him? And be willing to pay the price to obtain?

Winnipeg has Scheifele and then...Lowry? Their gap is at 2C. McGroarty could be their 2C if he's truly capable so I'm not quite sure I understand the issue between the two parties. Which makes me think that if there even IS an issue, it may not be playtime and role related.

Could easily be "no to Winnipeg the city". Interestingly enough I think there are several teams with comparable players that could make for an interesting swap. My Vancouver buddy dreamt up Lekkerimaki for him. Then he slots in at 2C which alleviates them from have to sign Lindholm which makes room for Guentzel. Very high risk but it's a move I follow the logic of. Getting a young 2C of that caliber would be appealing to several teams. You just hope he doesn't turn out like Newhook.

Nah Torts will bench Michkov by midseason. He will be heading back to Russia by the years end. Gona be like when Radulov went back to Russia haha
I hope not. I'm excited to see this kid, even if it IS for the Flyers.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
"We're running back the same team next year because we haven't made a move before the cup finals have even ended"

Same shit people peddled at me last year.

UFA is less than 10 days away. Moves are being made.

If Dubas is trading Jarry, he’s lost out on two potential places to move him to.

I think it’s pretty obvious the front office is not focusing on doing much.

Reactions: Pens x

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

If Dubas is trading Jarry, he’s lost out on two potential places to move him to.

If you aint gonna do much they should not tell us they wanna make the playoffs. That's like insulting.

Reactions: Gurglesons

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
One thing to note that I didn’t know was that Reilly Smith’s NTC goes down from 10 teams to 8 on July 1…better chance he’s not moved until July 1 than before the draft….

Except Smith can submit a new list on July 1. So if he doesn't want to be traded, he and his agent can make the list be all of the likely teams who would acquire him.

Smarter to trade him now, with his previous list locked in.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

Patience young padawan

Reactions: Gurglesons

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Except Smith can submit a new list on July 1. So if he doesn't want to be traded, he and his agent can make the list be all of the likely teams who would acquire him.

Smarter to trade him now, with his previous list locked in.
Depends on who wants him and who was on his previous list…if he really wants out of here as rumored, he’s not going to put together an onerous list…I’m sure, like many players, he may have a number of Canadian teams on his list lol…I just suspect as well that there may be teams interested in trading for him but want to wait to see what happens in FA because he’s not their first choice

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I guess the one upside to Smith is that as a pending ufa if Dubas doesn't move him before the season starts then Smith is going to at least be motivated to have a good year.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
You mean in the off-season when Dubas traded for Erik Karlsson?

Yeah and as predicted his one big swing and not doing anything to improve the previous roster at all amounted to us finishing worse.

I feel like you are just arguing with me to argue at this point.

You think Dubas isn’t going to do much this offseason as you’ve said.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Yeah and as predicted his one big swing and not doing anything to improve the previous roster at all amounted to us finishing worse.

Oh you two 😜

1719169336727.jpeg

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
If sullivan is here with these "new" assistants

It is running it back

This dude not one single time last year identified a deficiency with the team

Not. One. Time.

I mean, maybe he said something, but his pressers are impossible to sit through. And in any case, nothing on the ice changed.

Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I hope he strips the team down.

There is no hope for this squad with Mike Sullivan and David Quinn at the helm.

Every other team in our division is making moves to be competitive.

We are running back a roster that failed two years in a row and wasn't even close last year to making a playoff spot.

At this point, I'd be floating everyone's name out there with retention including EK65.

Be very interesting if Sid doesn't sign July 1st.
Well, they were only 3 points out.

I'd say we should probably see how the offseason goes before suggesting we're gonna run the same team back.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Didn’t he bring in like 8/9 new dudes from the previous season? I feel like it was changed a good bit outside of top 6, which we assumed was fine anyway.

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
They are, it just not might jive with what you want them to do. Also, we haven't even gotten to the draft yet. Geez!

Didn’t he bring in like 8/9 new dudes from the previous season? I feel like it was changed a good bit outside of top 6, which we assumed was fine anyway.
There's been plenty of change. It just might not be at the NHL level until say training camp? Some ppl are so impatient. Bunting and PONO for example didn't start last season here and both are likely to be fixtures for the foreseeable future. In addition we're gonna make more moves over the next few weeks.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Well, they were only 3 points out.

I'd say we should probably see how the offseason goes before suggesting we're gonna run the same team back.

The offseason is pretty much here. That is why you are seeing multiple huge trades.

The Penguins have very little trade assets to offer at the draft. Potentially we could move players at the draft for picks, but I doubt anyone views any of our contracts outside of Marcus Pettersson worth a draft pick.

People said be patient last year. We did nothing outside of signing UFAs.

It's cope. This management group views this team as toast, but they aren't willing to put the final touches on getting us to where we need to be.

Kind of hilarious though. We've hired Kyle Dubas as GM to turn us into a typical Canadian team that won't commit to either route.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

It's going to take a lot of work to undo the damage that Hextall did.

The offseason is pretty much here. That is why you are seeing multiple huge trades.

The Penguins have very little trade assets to offer at the draft. Potentially we could move players at the draft for picks, but I doubt anyone views any of our contracts outside of Marcus Pettersson worth a draft pick.

People said be patient last year. We did nothing outside of signing UFAs.

It's cope. This management group views this team as toast, but they aren't willing to put the final touches on getting us to where we need to be.

Kind of hilarious though. We've hired Kyle Dubas as GM to turn us into a typical Canadian team that won't commit to either route.

Come on now, you know VERY few trades happen before the SCF is over. You cant sign FAs until July 1st. You're being flat out disingenuous right now. This is nothing but pure Anti-Dubas agenda bias.

Reactions: Factorial

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I'll guarantee everyone this, we will not be parting with high draft picks anytime soon. lol

#rebuild

Come on now, you know VERY few trades happen before the SCF is over. You cant sign FAs until July 1st. You're being flat out disingenuous right now. This is nothing but pure Anti-Dubas agenda bias.
Bingo! We'll look different two weeks from now, to what degree is the question.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
It's going to take a lot of work to undo the damage that Hextall did.

What is the damage Hextall did? Rakell, Rust, Malkin, and Letang are the only contracts signed by him on the books. The reason we are where we are is because Hextall traded a 3rd and a 5th and signed those guys?

The off-season is extremely short with the SCF going to Game 7. Adjust your expectations.

This team is content. That's why they kept Sullivan, that's why they hired Quinn and that's why we likely will see very little in the way of spending of assets or trades to make this team better.

Status quo and hope we make the playoffs and if not sell and get a 1st while faking that we are making it.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
It's going to be funny seeing the reactions around here in two weeks.

Same people that told me to be patient and then tried to defend the Ryan Graves signing last summer.
It's quite humorous to me that your pie in the sky expectations aren't called out more. You're just not a serious person.

Reactions: Factorial

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad