Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Kastelic is a decent forward. He’ll probably become a 15 goal 30 point guy in Ottawa.

Yeah the return is basically the Markstrom return, but with Boston also taking back Korpisalo. Which is super weird to me, but maybe they view him as having some value as a $3 million 1B goalie.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I can't tell if the market for Jarry is hot because even Korpisalo was traded or if the market for Jarry is terrible because Ulmark only brought back a late first stapled to Korpisalo...

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I can't tell if the market for Jarry is hot because even Korpisalo was traded or if the market for Jarry is terrible because Ulmark only brought back a late first stapled to Korpisalo...
I've been saying all along that the return in a Jarry trade would be hot garbage. I want him moved mostly for the cap space that opens up in said move. That way Dubas can spend it on more garbage.

I believe me being right about the shit return for a goalie trade makes me 1 out of my last 200. Take *that* @Gurglesons.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The more I think about it from Boston's side, the more this deal seems solid for them. I personally think Korpisalo is ass and have been adamant about that, but I don't think it's a stretch to say that they can get a good performance out of him like they've gotten good performances out of so many other goalies in the past. The term is the part that really sucks, but the $3 million AAV isn't all that bad for a 1B goalie.

Before Ullmark played for Buffalo, he had a career 3.1 GSAA, he was basically the definition of an average goalie. On Boston? He had a 72.8 GSAA in just 13 more games played. If they can improve Korpisalo by a similar amount as they improved Ullmark (so not make him a Vezina goalie, just have his improvement total be similar), Korpisalo seems like he'd be a good 1B goalie.

Imagine if Detroit trades for Korpi for some reason and the market on Jarry dies. Might have to put Gurgles on the ignore list lol

I think Boston actually wants Korpisalo as their backup/1B goalie. They have a terrific track record of getting great results out of goalies, so it's hard to criticize their thinking.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
The more I think about it from Boston's side, the more this deal seems solid for them. I personally think Korpisalo is ass and have been adamant about that, but I don't think it's a stretch to say that they can get a good performance out of him like they've gotten good performances out of so many other goalies in the past. The term is the part that really sucks, but the $3 million AAV isn't all that bad for a 1B goalie.

Before Ullmark played for Buffalo, he had a career 3.1 GSAA, he was basically the definition of an average goalie. On Boston? He had a 72.8 GSAA in just 13 more games played. If they can improve Korpisalo by a similar amount as they improved Ullmark (so not make him a Vezina goalie, just have his improvement total be similar), Korpisalo seems like he'd be a good 1B goalie.

I think Boston actually wants Korpisalo as their backup/1B goalie. They have a terrific track record of getting great results out of goalies, so it's hard to criticize their thinking.
Yeah going from Boston's system to whatever the hell you want to call the way Ottawa plays defense is sure to be interesting for Ullmark. About to see how good he actually is I guess.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
None of the goalies were going to bring back huge returns. Markstrom is 34. Ullmark is going into the final year of his contract, is 30 years old, and has been pretty bad in the playoffs. Korpisalo was atrocious last year and has a cumbersome contract. And Jarry has a lengthy contract and question marks about his consistency, especially late in the season and in the playoffs.

The benefit to trading Jarry isn't the return, but the potential overall flexibility you get.

Sideline

May 23, 2004

Korpisalo is awful. If Boston is so confident they can rebuild struggling goalies they could sign basically any UFA for less money and term than Korpisalo.

Rare Senators W unless they sign Ullmark to something stupid like 7x7.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
Yeah, I think the environment will make a world of difference for Korpisalo. I also think Ullmark may struggle. As much as it pains me to say it since they're my most hated team in the league, the Bruins organization is several tiers above the Senators org in every way.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Korpisalo is awful. If Boston is so confident they can rebuild struggling goalies they could sign basically any UFA for less money and term than Korpisalo.

Rare Senators W unless they sign Ullmark to something stupid like 7x7.

Korpisalo was really, really good in 2022-2023, though. He finished with a 12.7 GSAx in only 39 games, which was 11th best in the NHL.

I tend to agree with you in that they could take that same risk with someone like Samsonov, but I understand the thought process that Boston is going through here.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
By halfway decent, I mean something marginally useful without being tied to a completely burdensome piece of dead weight. As frustrating as he is, Jarry is better than Korpisalo by several levels.

Or the returns are so bad, Boston had to settle on what they got to move on from Ullmark?

Nobody is trading for Jarry. There isn’t even a team that makes sense for him to be traded to with LA, NJ, and OTT all filling in their spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad