Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I think the goaltending situation becomes interesting now. We were likely always going to sign a goaltender this off-season. It was just a matter of what caliber goalkeeper. We no longer have a need for a third-stringer type. Blomqvist starts training camp as the No. 3, which is what he was. That said, Nedeljkovic cannot sit on his laurels. The contract he signed is team-friendly for many reasons, including sending him down if Blomqvist outplays him. We could end up losing Ned to waivers in such a scenario. Unlikely that it unfolds this way, but nobody should be comfortable here. Ned will continue to push Jarry. Jarry will push Ned if he loses the job (again). Blomqvist will push both, and push them hard.

Plus, I think there is still the possibility of another move, involving Jarry. We almost certainly would have to take a goaltender back via trade. Calgary, Ottawa, Utah, Anaheim, Edmonton, Carolina, Columbus, Detroit and Seattle are all teams that could be interested in a goaltender swap of some form. Vladar, Korpisalo or Forsberg, Vejmelka, Gibson, Campbell, Andersen (or ideally Kochetkov), Merzlikins, Husso and Grubauer would be the goaltenders in question. I did not include Colorado or Chicago because I don't think Jarry is an upgrade over either Georgiev or Mrazek. Both teams might be looking for backup upgrades to push their guy.

Ironically, the ONLY team who is currently looking for a goaltender without the need to send a goaltender back our way would be, you guessed it...Toronto. So, the Maple Leafs are now probably looking at the UFA market. They will likely be in on Brossoit, Talbot and Stolarz. Samsonov is not going back there. If they look for trades, Ullmark is available (Boston does not want a goaltender back, they want a center ideally); Saros is probably not going anywhere; Gustavsson is available (hard to understand if Minny would take a goaltender back, Fleury is done after 2024-25). And then Jarry.

Teams who need backups are for sure Winnipeg and Dallas. Chicago I believe will be in on a backup, too. Colorado wants one, but they have no cap space. Ditto Tampa Bay. Florida may or may not, depending on what they decide to do with Spencer Knight. Buffalo might look for a third-stringer in case Levi is not ready.

To me, Toronto is the target team now in terms of sending Jarry somewhere. But is Dubas even allowed to speak to Treliving, or will Shanahan intercept the call and hang up the phone after firing off a couple of gratuitous expletives???

The other option is taking on a bad goaltender contract in order to land either that elusive top-six winger (Laine?) or a first-round pick from somebody (Ottawa? Edmonton?).

As I stated in the beginning, this is interesting to me now.

Reactions: DRAGO 18

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
That would really change the dynamics of the roster. While it makes sense to run him on the "3rd line" I think that would be a Brassard situation where if you make a guy 3C and give him 3rd line wings with 3rd line ice time, don't complain when he produces like a 3C.

The other options are: 1. Make him 2RW / 2C and have him and Malkin rotate based on situations. 2. Do the 2016 thing where you have 3 solid scoring lines.
that would take a coach that thinks it's ok to coach. imo

Reactions: SEALBound

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I heard on a podcast that Colton might be the odd man out in Colorado. What about a 3 way trade with Toronto and Colorado?

Pens get Colton, Toronto gets Jarry and Colorado gets a Pick?

Toronto’s cap will get pretty tight filling out their skater roster.

They’ll probably go with a 1A/1B situation with Woll and a cheaper vet

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Not if the HD chances against are middle of the league but the HD SV% is one of the worst in the league.
It's not the amount, it's the quality of them. A good amount are secondary chances with the opponent alone with the goaltender. This is nothing new with this team, they have always given up quality HD chances.

This goes back to Fleury>>>Murray>>>DeSmith>>>Jarry>>> Ned....

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think Ottawa sticks out as the main destination for Jarry. Ottawa is in a situation where they’re desperate for improvement and they completely whiffed on the Korpisalo addition last year. There have already been reports that Ottawa will be in on every goalie and will do whatever possible to upgrade in net.

Korpisalo is unmovable, so they’re just going to have to end up buying him out or keeping him as an ultra expensive backup. I think Ullmark is their main target, but if he won’t waive to go there, there isn’t really a better alternative than Jarry.

I think Anton Forsberg and Ottawa’s 2nd this year for Jarry would be a pretty fair deal. Forsberg gives the Penguins a 1 year stopgap goalie until Blomqvist is ready while it saves them about $2.5 million in cap space.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I can't wait until the TML resigns Murray for 900k. And Samsonov for 900k. And take a swing a DeSmith for 900k. Then gives Marner $12mil. Then they lose in the first round and wonder what happened.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I think Ottawa sticks out as the main destination for Jarry. Ottawa is in a situation where they’re desperate for improvement and they completely whiffed on the Korpisalo addition last year. There have already been reports that Ottawa will be in on every goalie and will do whatever possible to upgrade in net.

Korpisalo is unmovable, so they’re just going to have to end up buying him out or keeping him as an ultra expensive backup. I think Ullmark is their main target, but if he won’t waive to go there, there isn’t really a better alternative than Jarry.

I think Anton Forsberg and Ottawa’s 2nd this year for Jarry would be a pretty fair deal. Forsberg gives the Penguins a 1 year stopgap goalie until Blomqvist is ready while it saves them about $2.5 million in cap space.
I would strongly consider that deal, but I suspect Ottawa would try and make it Korpisalo + a better asset or assets.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

It would be interesting to see a list of what teams are talking goalies. I can see Ottawa wanting a "my crap + for your less crap" in a Korpisalo trade but the more I think about it, the more I think they are in the "the best thing for us is for Korp to play better next year" realm.

The teams wanting goaltending I think are getting it. I don't see who would take him. The buyout isn't awful sans the 4th year ($2mil+). The next two, it would make sense if they truly want to get over the hump. Hopefully by then, the cap goes up enough to where it wouldn't matter.

If they are dealing with Dubas, I almost wonder if it isn't a "who blinks first" negotiation where Ottawa says, "Well, if we take Jarry, we will buy out Korpisalo..." with the acknowledgment that taking Jarry helps out the Penguins immensely so that newfound cap space is valuable. So it becomes leverage to sell Jarry low for the mere sake of getting out of the deal. On the other hand, Dubas can easily say "we can keep Jarry, no big...and look at Korpy, he sucks...your move".

If they get Jarry, before the buyout window, I have to assume that Ottawa offers Korps for nothing if they don't find takers. If they do, I do think someone bites because as we've seen before, starting goalies are like coaches - they can be recycled despite poor prior performance.

For discussion sake, from Ottawa, I think a decent deal for us would be: Kleven+4th. Kleven is a LD, 6'4, 200lbs. Couple games with Ottaway over the last two seasons as a call-up. Decent AHL numbers. That gives us a Dumo-ish prospect to bolster the prospect pool and it gives us $5.25mil in space.

Last edited:

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

It is solid value for Jarry. However, if the Sens are buying Korpisalo out anyway, then keep Forsberg and we can get Mathieu Joseph instead.

Jarry for Joseph and a 2nd rounder is a decent trade for all involved. I would ask for Ottawa's second-rounder in 2025 since we don't have one currently.

Now, if Ottawa wants us to take on Korpisalo, I would think about it if they give up a first. That is unlikely since they already have to forfeit one 1st in the next two years.

Reactions: The Old Master

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It is solid value for Jarry. However, if the Sens are buying Korpisalo out anyway, then keep Forsberg and we can get Mathieu Joseph instead.

Jarry for Joseph and a 2nd rounder is a decent trade for all involved. I would ask for Ottawa's second-rounder in 2025 since we don't have one currently.

Now, if Ottawa wants us to take on Korpisalo, I would think about it if they give up a first. That is unlikely since they already have to forfeit one 1st in the next two years.

There are no amount of realistic assets that can make me okay with taking on Korpisalo’s deal.

The point of moving Jarry is to get a bit of value and get a 1 year stopgap for Blomqvist, with the plan of running with Blomqvist-Nedjelkovic for 2025-2026. Trading for Korpisalo kills that entirely.

But yeah, that Joseph and a 2nd for Jarry deal is solid as well.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I can't wait until the TML resigns Murray for 900k. And Samsonov for 900k. And take a swing a DeSmith for 900k. Then gives Marner $12mil. Then they lose in the first round and wonder what happened.

Woll was actually really good in his 2.5 games in the playoffs

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think Toronto probably signs someone like Stolarz or Brossoit to play with Woll, and then acts all surprised when a career backup with 1 hot year isn't their lord and savior in net as they lose in round 1 again.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I am just not a Forsberg fan. I have no idea how he has managed to get term (more than once, I think!).

He seems to play lights out when he needs a deal, and then goes back to AHL-caliber goalkeeping.

I don't know what we have in Alex Nedeljkovic, and we may never know. But at least he seems to have the respect of the room. This team played hard for him down the stretch, which is more than I can say for Jarry or anyone else since Matt Murray's prime.

Also, I think Nedeljkovic's deal is devoid of any trade protection. At least, according to Puck Pedia.

In this current NHL climate, that is a win yes? :)

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Defensive stats say middle of the league so not terrible.

Who exactly is saying poor team defense being the biggest reason? I mean, yeah, the defensive zone scheme was absolute dog shit. Horse shit, even.

But I agree with Danny here that scoring depth past Sid and the PP were the driving factors of losing out on WC2.

If it's the coaching staff sitting bac and saying "it was team defense!", we are in big, BIG trouble. HUGE trouble. That's a complete detachment from reality that will not bode well for the upcoming season.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Defensive stats say middle of the league so not terrible.

Why can't it be both?

The poor offensive side of their game leads to the poor defensive side of their game. The team pushes north way too hard and gets caught going north and leads to many high danger chances the other way. Isn't there some stat showing they are the leaders in odd man breaks the other way?

The Pens are a turnover machine at the oppositions blueline. Attest the 10 shorthanded goals against let alone 5 on 5 or 4 on 4. There's not one culprit alone in this.

These are pretty glaring issues.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Defensive stats say middle of the league so not terrible. It’s more how much do we pay for average defense compared to others?

The problem is the Pens would have to finally realize Sullivan's idea of what a bottom six is would have to change. A big reason for "lack of scoring depth" is because of the type of players Sullivan insists on having in the bottom six. It shouldn't shock anyone that a team will lack depth scoring when the coach thinks players like Harkins, Acciari, Nieto, ZAR, Porter, etc. are the type of players you have to fill out your entire bottom six with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad