Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I suppose Calgary MIGHT have some interest in Jarry, Wolf has put up stupidly good numbers in the AHL, but has really struggled badly in the NHL (so far). They probably want to see what they have in him, but I wonder if the Flames want a Vladar/Wolf combo. Vladar is coming off a serious injury, and the kid has been shelled so far.

That said, I would probably look elsewhere for a top-six winger.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I believe there is some thought they intend to give Dustin Wolf a longer look.

Yeah this is right, but Wolf also had a sub-.900 save% last year. I don't necessarily know that they'd want Jarry's long-term deal in a deal, but they're almost definitely going to want some sort of veteran-ish goalie to ease Wolf into the starter's role.

I suppose Calgary MIGHT have some interest in Jarry, Wolf has put up stupidly good numbers in the AHL, but has really struggled badly in the NHL (so far). They probably want to see what they have in him, but I wonder if the Flames want a Vladar/Wolf combo. Vladar is coming off a serious injury, and the kid has been shelled so far.

This is my thought as well. I don't know that Calgary would want Jarry's long term deal but I can't imagine they'll go into next year with Vladar and Wolf as their tandem.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007

I wouldn't say he struggled badly. He's been inconsistent. And he's played few enough games that a couple stinkers really tank his numbers.

They're not intending on really competing next year, anyway. They can run Vladar and Wolf for the first half of the season and see where things stand from there. If there is a worry Vladar won't be ready, they can add another cheap veteran as insurance.

There's no need for them to acquire Jarry.

By the way, Wolf was 47th in the NHL in Goals Saved Above Average last year.

Jarry was 40th. Nedelkjovic 41st.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Seems fair from both sides re: Markstrom. Devils potentially get a goalie for what's probably gonna be a later 1st. Flames get another pick to stockpile. Bahl's pretty garbage though.

Don't care about PLD. Dude sucks, and I'm just glad he's been dealt so we don't have to keep rehashing the same "what if" discussion about the loser anymore. He's gonna score against Jarry in some random February game and pixies is gonna die of dehydration from the climax though. :laugh:

It's still early, but I agree with @HandshakeLine that this team's probably sitting tight because they simply don't see a need to pick an avenue and think the past 6 or so years have been a series of unfortunate mistakes, not evidence that things need to change drastically. Oh well, Smith out for some schlub 3rd liner they'll use as a scoring wing and the addition of Wennberg to this team's bottom-6 oughta fix things, I'm sure of it. :laugh:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Dustin Wolf is a top three goaltending prospect along with Wallstedt and Askarov. What are we doing here lol

I wouldn't say he struggled badly. He's been inconsistent. And he's played few enough games that a couple stinkers really tank his numbers.

They're not intending on really competing next year, anyway. They can run Vladar and Wolf for the first half of the season and see where things stand from there. If there is a worry Vladar won't be ready, they can add another cheap veteran as insurance.

There's no need for them to acquire Jarry.

By the way, Wolf was 47th in the NHL in Goals Saved Above Average last year.

Jarry was 40th. Nedelkjovic 41st.

Calgary’s GM said they still intend to compete for the playoffs.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Seems fair from both sides re: Markstrom. Devils potentially get a goalie for what's probably gonna be a later 1st. Flames get another pick to stockpile. Bahl's pretty garbage though.

Don't care about PLD. Dude sucks, and I'm just glad he's been dealt so we don't have to keep rehashing the same "what if" discussion about the loser anymore. He's gonna score against Jarry in some random February game and pixies is gonna die of dehydration from the climax though. :laugh:

It's still early, but I agree with @HandshakeLine that this team's probably sitting tight because they simply don't see a need to pick an avenue and think the past 6 or so years have been a series of unfortunate mistakes, not evidence that things need to change drastically. Oh well, Smith out for some schlub 3rd liner they'll use as a scoring wing and the addition of Wennberg to this team's bottom-6 oughta fix things, I'm sure of it. :laugh:

I could care less about how PLD does in Washington. It’s just more about our GM and front office being unimaginative trash tbh.

I don’t know how anyone can think Kyle Dubas is going to do anything positive here after the last year plus.

Maybe he pulls a rabbit out of his hat, but watching teams solve their goaltending situation without any mention of Jarry’s name being out there makes me think we much like Sullivan / Rust / etc love what we have roster wise lol

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Idk I think it's more likely that this management team realizes this team is totally spent and they're not going to be spending significant assets or handing out huge contracts to make the team better.

I just wish they'd be selling off more guys. The idea of "staying competitive while recovering picks and prospects" is what they should be doing, but they could be more aggressive on the "recovering picks and prospects" aspect of that.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Dustin Wolf is a top three goaltending prospect along with Wallstedt and Askarov. What are we doing here lol

So do a lot of GM's. Talk is cheap and Calgary isn't very good. They won't be competing anytime soon.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
So do a lot of GM's. Talk is cheap and Calgary isn't very good. They won't be competing anytime soon.

I think people are really overrating what Markstrom was there.

Flames were basically as good as us last season. If they aren’t competing anytime soon, we aren’t either.

Idk I think it's more likely that this management team realizes this team is totally spent and they're not going to be spending significant assets or handing out huge contracts to make the team better.

I just wish they'd be selling off more guys. The idea of "staying competitive while recovering picks and prospects" is what they should be doing, but they could be more aggressive on the "recovering picks and prospects" aspect of that.

That’s the dog shit part that is driving me insane. Maybe Dubas will move Marcus Pettersson.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I think people are really overrating what Markstrom was there.

Flames were basically as good as us last season. If they aren’t competing anytime soon, we aren’t either.

Never said we were.

But they also lost Tanev. Flames were 9 - 14 after that trade. they aren't competing anytime soon.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That’s the dog shit part that is driving me insane. Maybe Dubas will move Marcus Pettersson.

I don't even think it necessarily has to be purely selling off the Penguins good players either, you can move out some of these more middling guys. Go get good value by trading Rakell while taking back another bad deal, an Oilers fan suggested Rakell for Campbell, Bourgault and a 2nd and I think that would be a smart move for this team to make. Go swap Smith and insignificant futures to Columbus for Laine and gamble on him having a strong year before selling him off again. Send Jarry out for a shittier, expensive goalie and get a 2nd back in value.

I think the Penguins have a lot of what I'd call "medium impact players" that they really wouldn't miss if they were gone that Rakell, Smith and Jarry all fall in. They're solid players but you're not going to miss them if you don't have them. You can get good value for those guys while not really demonstrably hurting your team by taking back bad deals or going after buy-low players.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think you can even go on the fully extreme end of the spectrum and do something like this:

-Rakell to Edmonton for Campbell, Bourgalt and a 2024 2nd
-Jarry to Detroit for Fabbri and a 2025 2nd
-Smith to Columbus for Laine

Are you really notably worse as a team with Rakell, Smith and Jarry out with Laine, Fabbri and Campbell in? Plus you're getting 2 2nds and a B level prospect for the swaps, just because the deals you're taking back are worse deals than the ones you're giving up. Your goaltending is clearly worse, but the futures gained there is worth it IMO.

lettuceAA

Dec 16, 2010

I find it funny that this board is all about young talent. But when he Flames have moved every aging FA they have for younger NHL players and picks everyone says screams rebuild, tank and they don't plan on competing. Conroy has handled the pending FA moves fantastically. They have cap space and a ton of prospects with potential. Pens should be jealous at the asset management.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I find it funny that this board is all about young talent. But when he Flames have moved every aging FA they have for younger NHL players and picks everyone says screams rebuild, tank and they don't plan on competing. Conroy has handled the pending FA moves fantastically. They have cap space and a ton of prospects with potential. Pens should be jealous at the asset management.

Caps too.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019

I just wish they'd pick an avenue and go with it, and being at this stage of the era, I think the only avenue to pick is tearing things down piece by piece and selling them off as they go. Long gone are the days of trying to salvage one final strong run outta this era. But they're absolutely too cowardly and arrogant to admit they're no longer in the upper echelon, or even relevant anymore. I don't disagree with you that they know it's over, but they'll keep riding on rims, sparks flying the entire way, as opposed to swallowing their pride and pulling over and calling it. :laugh: The only reason they traded Jake is because he and his camp made it abundantly clear he wasn't gonna entertain any offers and he would be going to FA. If there was even a glimmer of hope, they would've held on to him and offered him some dogshit contract after the season, 100%.
I could care less about how PLD does in Washington. It’s just more about our GM and front office being unimaginative trash tbh.

I don’t know how anyone can think Kyle Dubas is going to do anything positive here after the last year plus.

Maybe he pulls a rabbit out of his hat, but watching teams solve their goaltending situation without any mention of Jarry’s name being out there makes me think we much like Sullivan / Rust / etc love what we have roster wise lol
I just don't care about any of the lame bullshit this team's gonna do anymore until Sid retires. I expect the worst at every single turn. We agree that Sullivan and Dubas suck fwiw. I'm just kinda waiting to see what Dubas can do with a teardown and rebuild, but I'm not holding my breath. Even less optimistic about Sullivan molding the game of the next crop of top prospects. I'm hoping like hell Sullivan thinks he's too good to coach a rebuilding team that's perennially in the gutter and he just leaves.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I just don't like TJ. I don't like his attitude. I don't like him staring daggers at his teammates when they tip pucks in on him when he's mediocre and has never won shit here. Not even a playoff series. Dude acts like his own shit doesn't stink.

Call me crazy but even though Ned didn't outperform on the ice Ned still seems like a goalie that the team is much happier to go to war for personality-wise.

One thing I always loved about Maf is he had a good attitude and he never put the blame on his teammates for his own struggles. I always admired that about him.

Brooks Orpik used to rub me the wrong way for the same reasons TJ does. Orpik would just rip everyone but himself when the team struggled and it's like dude you're an overpaid physical defenseman who also broke our captains jaw at one point, f*** right off.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I just don't like TJ. I don't like his attitude. I don't like him staring daggers at his teammates when they tip pucks in on him when he's mediocre and has never won shit here. Not even a playoff series. Dude acts like his own shit doesn't stink.

Call me crazy but even though Ned didn't outperform on the ice Ned still seems like a goalie that the team is much happier to go to war for personality-wise.

One thing I always loved about Maf is he had a good attitude and he never put the blame on his teammates for his own struggles. I always admired that about him.

Brooks Orpik used to rub me the wrong way for the same reasons TJ does. Orpik would just rip everyone but himself when the team struggled and it's like dude you're an overpaid physical defenseman who also broke our captains jaw at one point, f*** right off.
Ned is why we went on the end of the season run, Jarry just blows. Ned wasn't that good at the end of the run but he atleast made saves down the stretch for us,

Reactions: Pancakes

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Much like my disdain for seeing Sullivan's face and hearing his passive aggressive "I can never be wrong, only wronged" bullshit, I hate Jarry and want him gone for the same reasons. Tired of the way he carries himself and how he always says shit in interviews like "Well, if you only knew what I was playing through..." etc etc.

Removing and replacing them is not going to fix things, no. But regardless, it's the right thing to do because they suck at their jobs and I can't f***ing stand them. :laugh:

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

Both can be true. The flames can be doing the right thing and also not be competitive. They have like the 17th rank prospect pool. They are doing the right thing but they are still gonna suck for a few years. They have minimal top end talent.

Saying they aren't competitive doesn't mean you are saying they are taking the wrong route.

Caps too.

Caps suck. They about to have PLD and Wilson leading they're post Ovi team. They will tank as hard as the pens soon. They are going to blow next year.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Ned is why we went on the end of the season run, Jarry just blows. Ned wasn't that good at the end of the run but he atleast made saves down the stretch for us,

Lol Nedjelkovic was ass on that end of season run. That end of season run was because the team was scoring a ton.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Both can be true. The flames can be doing the right thing and also not be competitive. They have like the 17th rank prospect pool. They are doing the right thing but they are still gonna suck for a few years. They have minimal top end talent.

Saying they aren't competitive doesn't mean you are saying they are taking the wrong route.

Caps suck. They about to have PLD and Wilson leading they're post Ovi team. They will tank as hard as the pens soon. They are going to blow next year.

It’s funny how little this board pays attention to other teams.

Calgary has no goaltending prospects.

Caps are expecting Wilson and PLD to lead them.

Jesus.

Lol Nedjelkovic was ass on that end of season run. That end of season run was because the team was scoring a ton.

Nah. Ned was solid for us. Look past the stats. Watch the games. It’s pretty fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad