Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
To be fair though it's absolutely incredible how they just passed off all that term and salary to Washington with zero retention.
Incredible that teams came to terms. For Washington, this does make sense. Their center depth is Strome, Dowd, McMichael...pretty putrid. Potentially worst in the league. Add PLD as a 1C, for all his warts, is a move I can least see them wanting to make.

Doesn't mean they are happy about the contract length and hit though.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Can not wait to see your heel turn on the franchise within 2-3 months of the season starting as per usual.
PLD is a selfish tool and it is hard to believe fourth team will be a charm, but I would have taken the deal if we could have jettisoned Jars without retainage.

On a positive note, I'll actually watch Caps @ CBJ games for like the first time ever. They hate that dick and they have a f***ing canon.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
At least from the one Flames fan I was talking to, I was surprised there was a moderate amount of interest in a deal around Jarry and Mangiapane. It gets complicated because they don't have a roster spot for Smith, so I'm not sure Smith makes sense in the deal.

But something like Jarry+ for Mangiapane and Vladar seems like a decent idea. Then try to trade Smith for a defenseman to play with Letang.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Dubois is signed through 2030-31 at $8.5 million per year
Jarry is signed through 2027-28 at $5.375 million per year
Laine is signed through 2025-26 at $8.7 million per year

There is a risk with all three. Jarry is the least risky, because he's a known quantity. But Laine has less commitment, which makes it easy to move on if you acquire him and he doesn't work out.

I would not want to be tied to PLD's contract. Not at that cost, not at that term, and certainly not with his history. That's especially true given his production last season.

Reactions: Turin

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
PLD is a selfish tool and it is hard to believe fourth team will be a charm, but I would have taken the deal if we could have jettisoned Jars without retainage.

On a positive note, I'll actually watch Caps @ CBJ games for like the first time ever. They hate that dick and they have a f***ing canon.
You would take on 8.5 for 7 years just to be out of Jarry's 5. 375 for 4 years?

Where is all these drugs you people are on?

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Dubois is signed through 2030-31 at $8.5 million per year
Jarry is signed through 2027-28 at $5.375 million per year
Laine is signed through 2025-26 at $8.7 million per year

There is a risk with all three. Jarry is the least risky, because he's a known quantity. But Laine has less commitment, which makes it easy to move on if you acquire him and he doesn't work out.

I would not want to be tied to PLD's contract. Not at that cost, not at that term, and certainly not with his history. That's especially true given his production last season.
PLD has about as much interest in playing hockey as I do in cutting the grass in this 94° weather. Or any weather for that matter.

• Haha
Reactions: DRAGO 18

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Incredible that teams came to terms. For Washington, this does make sense. Their center depth is Strome, Dowd, McMichael...pretty putrid. Potentially worst in the league. Add PLD as a 1C, for all his warts, is a move I can least see them wanting to make.

Doesn't mean they are happy about the contract length and hit though.

Nah, I disagree. Hendrix Lapierre is a very very good prospect and is killing it in the AHL finals. He, not Dubois, should be their French-Canadian offensive center. This deal probably sends Lapierre either to the wing or back to Hershey.

Lapierre is a better player than Dubois for 2024-25. There, I said it. Compete matters. Want matters.

This move is great for the Metro if anyone still feared the Capitals even a little.

One opening in the East among 2023-24 playoff teams has now been credited. There may be more, who knows.

Dubas, don't fall for any of this nonsense. Stick to the plan.

Reactions: DRAGO 18

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
PLD is gonna be fine in Washington.

People just give him issues regarding his compete because of he is size.

PLD wanted to go to LA and looked like he could not care less. Can’t imagine how he’ll look on a Washington team that’s on a decline.

PLD told Winnipeg he wasn’t signing long term with them and allowed the situation where he could return value.

Not sure why there is any issue there.

Los Angeles utilizing PLD how they did after signing him to a huge deal and then giving up on him within a year says a lot more about their franchise then the player.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
You would take on 8.5 for 7 years just to be out of Jarry's 5. 375 for 4 years?

Where is all these drugs you people are on?
Yes. We move Smith and Jarry, that's $10.4 MM, plus whatever we can net for Rakell; minus whatever we have to swallow in retainage in his $5MM deal. I don't like PLD's NMC through 2028 or the 2031 expiry, but the idea of ejecting Jarry while our core still has a pulse is appealing. There's a 15% chance PLD won't be a complete bust, right?

To answer your second question, there's a dispensary 1/8 of a mile from my house, with a staff of lovely college ladies. All of this contributes to bad financial decisions.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This is pretty much the gist of what I'm expecting their roster to start next year is going to look like:

Jarry to Calgary for Mangiapane and Vladar
Smith at $3 million to a contender for a 3rd
Re-sign Nedjelkovic (2 years at $2.5 million) and POJ (2 years at $1 million)
Sign Roslovic in UFA for 2 years at $3 million a year

Mangipane-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
O'Connor-Roslovic-Puustinen
Ponomarev-Eller-Acciari
Poulin-Puljujarvi

POJ-Letang
Pettersson-Karlsson
Graves-St. Ivany
Kral

Nedjelkovic-Vladar

Pretty underwhelming but this is about what I'm expecting at this point. I was initially thinking that the Penguins weren't going to keep POJ, but the way Dubas talked about POJ made me think that they'll still keep him around and likely use him in a full-time role.

They'll still have about $4 million in cap space with this roster, so they could do more, I'm just not expecting them to.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Nah.

Be a lot cooler if we did, though.

1718836571899.jpeg

BillyOcean

Jan 2, 2015
There are fans of this team, much like with MAF acolytes, that are absolutely thrilled to be anchored down by Jarry. Theyre excited for Jarry to fail. I'm also assuming they're somehow functional members of society. Take that one in.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
This is pretty much the gist of what I'm expecting their roster to start next year is going to look like:

Jarry to Calgary for Mangiapane and Vladar
Smith at $3 million to a contender for a 3rd
Re-sign Nedjelkovic (2 years at $2.5 million) and POJ (2 years at $1 million)
Sign Roslovic in UFA for 2 years at $3 million a year

Mangipane-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
O'Connor-Roslovic-Puustinen
Ponomarev-Eller-Acciari
Poulin-Puljujarvi

POJ-Letang
Pettersson-Karlsson
Graves-St. Ivany
Kral

Nedjelkovic-Vladar

Pretty underwhelming but this is about what I'm expecting at this point. I was initially thinking that the Penguins weren't going to keep POJ, but the way Dubas talked about POJ made me think that they'll still keep him around and likely use him in a full-time role.

They'll still have about $4 million in cap space with this roster, so they could do more, I'm just not expecting them to.

Why is Calgary trading for a goaltender exactly?

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
There are fans of this team, much like with MAF acolytes, that are absolutely thrilled to be anchored down by Jarry. Theyre excited for Jarry to fail. I'm also assuming they're somehow functional members of society. Take that one in.
I’m sure Jarry would play better away from this team, but we are probably not gonna allow that to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad