Post-Game Talk: Pens-2, Flames-4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Most of it has been said, but the flames defensive scheme was obvious. Give up the neutral zone, trap at the blue line. Forwards put pressure on up high aggressively and let the defense handle down low.

Why the hell was everyone still trying to cycle high? it was the only thing they were actively blocking in the zone with their system?

And ffs, seriously, Kunitz and coaches, god damn it. and what is with Geno being completely unable to handle the puck since his return?

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
The Devils won't catch us but they probably will beat us tomorrow. That means if the Flyers beat Columbus today and they'll be within 3 points of us with a game in hand after tomorrow.

the Penguins felt bad that the Flyers lost to the ****** Oilers the other night so they returned the favor today.

Farnham4top6

Despres #1D
Mar 6, 2011
north of you
I never feel inclined to post about the games but holy ****ing **** Chris Kunitz is playing like a he has spaghetti arms. Put him on Geno's line, they suck. Back to Sids line and they suck.

Sully, I absolutely admire what you've done with this team, and everyone calling for him to be fired is out to lunch, BUT FOR GOD SAKES, TAKE KUNITZ OUT OF THE TOP SIX!
Send him as a Christian missionary to Al-raqqah

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
- MAF was bad. Far from the reason we lost. But he was fighting the puck the whole game.

- Geno: uninspired, lazy. Bet he was pissed being put on a line with Kunitz.

Which leads me to. .. the one we dont speak of .The name of the lord repels you! Be gone you demon!

Positive for me was Pouliot. I thought he had awesome breakout passes and was involved offensively. Maybe should have shot the puck a few more times. But it looked worse because Cole misshandled some passes some lost posession.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
This isn't a good team. It hasn't been a good team for a while--years. It isn't going to be a good team until serious changes are made. We will go on runs, carried on the back of Sid, or Geno, or Fleury, but that doesn't mean this is a good team.

We have a coach who deserves to have his personnel decisions scrutinized heavily. Sullivan would be a really good assistant, but he can't even get lines right. He's not a head coach, especially not for a team trying to claw its way back into relevance.

We have problem players getting way too much TOI and responsibility. Kunitz is a trainwreck, and has been a trainwreck for years. He gets a couple of gimme points playing with the best player on Earth during a stretch of godlike hockey from Sid, and people think he's turned a corner. Cole is a reserve defenseman. Lovejoy is as well. None of those three guys should get anywhere near the amount of TOI or responsibility they've gotten this year. Cole was scratched for a while, which was good, but he's still an issue.

We have players who aren't bad hockey players, but they're simply bad fits. Bonino and Kessel just don't belong on this team.

Here's to hoping we miss the playoffs. Not because I expect it'll wake the organization up like being slapped in the face, but for the simple reason that we'll get to keep our 1st. That's important for a team with as dismal a future as this one.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
**** you.

Cullen lost this game for us.
I hope kunitz gets a concussion that's bad enough that he has to wear a diaper for the rest of his life.
Geno was a ****ing disaster.
PP was a joke
Sully is a moron
Reffs can all get AIDS

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
Most of it has been said, but the flames defensive scheme was obvious. Give up the neutral zone, trap at the blue line. Forwards put pressure on up high aggressively and let the defense handle down low.

Why the hell was everyone still trying to cycle high? it was the only thing they were actively blocking in the zone with their system?

And ffs, seriously, Kunitz and coaches, god damn it. and what is with Geno being completely unable to handle the puck since his return?

I thought Geno looked better than ever his last couple games. Today was his first game of the year, I'd say.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
People need to realize this team doesn't have the personnel for a dominant top 6. They're just going to rearrange the deck chairs depending on which center is struggling more.

Sid's line needed more speed. They move Hagelin there. Malkin's line was getting owned defensively. Hagelin moves down.

Anyone advocating moving Rust up should watch him play more. He doesn't pass. Crosby would shoot him dead on the ice.

I cannot even begin to fathom how you can possibly defend what Sullivan did there. Hagelin-Crosby-Hornqvist was quite literally the only line that was working today. The. Only. One. No coach with half a brain would break up the one group of players that was producing for them in a game.

Kunitz was hurting Malkin's line. Kunitz needed to be moved. You don't hurt the other line to fix it. You need a defensive presence? Move Cullen there. You need someone that can help move the puck? Move Wilson there.

Rearrange the deck chairs all you like but don't ****ing break up the one thing that works. That's not rearranging any chairs, that's purposefully sinking the ship. Geno's line didn't get any better with Hagelin and Sid's line clearly suffered.

Hophog

Aug 7, 2006
Hershey, PA
What a fun game to watch! I love seeing players being tripped and interfered with all the time :handclap:

And what the **** was wrong with Geno? Is Kunitzism is contagious?

Love Geno but I think he still thinks it's going to be easy against bottom feeders and that they'll score anytime they need to. You'd think he'd have learned by now.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I just don't know what our path is moving forward any more. We're just one of those teams now. We're just kinda there. We could make it, we could just narrowly miss. That's our outlook year to year.

That's a bad place to be. How do we re-tool and get back to being an elite team? Our stars aren't getting any younger. We have no real young talent at forward except for Sprong.

I feel like this is a team that is trending downward year to year and it's only going to get worse unless we start drafting and developing some young talent

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
This isn't a good team. It hasn't been a good team for a while--years. It isn't going to be a good team until serious changes are made. We will go on runs, carried on the back of Sid, or Geno, or Fleury, but that doesn't mean this is a good team.

We have a coach who deserves to have his personnel decisions scrutinized heavily. Sullivan would be a really good assistant, but he can't even get lines right. He's not a head coach, especially not for a team trying to claw its way back into relevance.

We have problem players getting way too much TOI and responsibility. Kunitz is a trainwreck, and has been a trainwreck for years. He gets a couple of gimme points playing with the best player on Earth during a stretch of godlike hockey from Sid, and people think he's turned a corner. Cole is a reserve defenseman. Lovejoy is as well. None of those three guys should get anywhere near the amount of TOI or responsibility they've gotten this year. Cole was scratched for a while, which was good, but he's still an issue.

We have players who aren't bad hockey players, but they're simply bad fits. Bonino and Kessel just don't belong on this team.

Here's to hoping we miss the playoffs. Not because I expect it'll wake the organization up like being slapped in the face, but for the simple reason that we'll get to keep our 1st. That's important for a team with as dismal a future as this one.

Most overreactive poster on the forum.

We are an NHL team. We have positives and negatives. Don't view things in a vacuum. Look at PK Subban on the Habs and the way he's being treated. Don't be like that.

Also, the Hags argument is so stupid in this game. He was out for nearly ten minutes. Of course the lines were changed.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Jim Rutherford has now had 4 trade opportunities to move Chris Kunitz and the only one he agreed to was rejected due to trade clauses.

If you want to be "done with this team", there's your motivation.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
As I stated in the GDT.

I blame the team for not stepping up, but I blame the refs for the advantage they afforded a bad team out of the playoff picture.

Hard to fight a steep upward Camel back hill.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Well this thread is already painful to read. I'm glad I stopped in to see the gross overreactions because of 1 really bad game. I love the Lovejoy mention too, he was obviously so bad today :laugh:

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
I cannot even begin to fathom how you can possibly defend what Sullivan did there. Hagelin-Crosby-Hornqvist was quite literally the only line that was working today. The. Only. One. No coach with half a brain would break up the one group of players that was producing for them in a game.

Kunitz was hurting Malkin's line. Kunitz needed to be moved. You don't hurt the other line to fix it. You need a defensive presence? Move Cullen there. You need someone that can help move the puck? Move Wilson there.

Rearrange the deck chairs all you like but don't ****ing break up the one thing that works. That's not rearranging any chairs, that's purposefully sinking the ship. Geno's line didn't get any better with Hagelin and Sid's line clearly suffered.

Hagelin was playing amazing with Kessel and Malkin previously, lets not forget that.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Pouliot needs to be mentioned in this PGT.
He's really coming into his own.
On the level that i can't tell you who will have the better NHL career in Pouliot or Maatta right now.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Well this thread is already painful to read. I'm glad I stopped in to see the gross overreactions because of 1 really bad game. I love the Lovejoy mention too, he was obviously so bad today :laugh:

I'm pretty sure this is the 2nd time you've made this post this week, so I'm pretty sure it's not "1 bad game" that people are responding to

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Jim Rutherford has now had 4 trade opportunities to move Chris Kunitz and the only one he agreed to was rejected due to trade clauses.

If you want to be "done with this team", there's your motivation.

Kunitz sucks but moving him is not some magical pill that will make everything better. This team is trending in the wrong direction. Sid and Geno are no longer good enough to carry them, Kessel isn't the PPG player we hoped to be getting but is the 50 point guy from Toronto. Our young players are nothing special.

Dinfire

Mar 9, 2011
Los Angeles
"When other people are negative, they are wrong. When I'M negative, it's totally warranted"

Oh come on man. Some people here complain when the Pens WIN. If you don't think that losing to a bottom feeder when you're on the playoff bubble is more worthy of scorn than Kunitz taking a shift off then you need to adjust your perspective.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
The problem with saying the top 6 is moving deck chairs around on the deck of the Titanic is that Kunitz isn't even a chair. Growing up my sister had this three legged stool, one of the legs was ****ed up and wouldn't stay on but she kept the stool because she liked the way it looked. Every once and awhile someone would be stupid enough to use the death stool. Kunitz is the death stool, not a chair.

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
Pouliot needs to be mentioned in this PGT.
He's really coming into his own.
On the level that i can't tell you who will have the better NHL career in Pouliot or Maatta right now.

Big time plus. He's carrying the puck like we were hoping he would, and seems to be getting a ton of good looks at the net when he jumps up.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Oh come on man. Some people here complain when the Pens WIN. If you don't think that losing to a bottom feeder when you're on the playoff bubble is more worthy of scorn than Kunitz taking a shift off then you need to adjust your perspective.

I think it's a message board where people have what may be their only outlet for their Penguins-related emotions and generally speaking I don't see the benefit of "you're all too negative but now you should be negative!"

If you wanna post and be negative, post and be negative. If you don't wanna post, okay, don't post. What's with the judgmental setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad