Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: We suck again summer edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Is Barabanov really going to be available from the SJS? He seems like the good young player that they should be keeping. Maybe like us and Rust circa 2017-18.

Something else we should be keeping an eye on is the RFA unQO pool. Plenty of teams fans thinking that some guys won't get the QO. I think there were some good steals in the last 2-3 years. Gurianov and Comtois come to mind as two interesting choices for a bottom 6 forward that could provide useful skill sets.

Tkachuk-trade, right?
I think it came out that it the contract was signed first, then traded. But, more or less, yes. Both him and Huberdeau.

ETA: Just checked, CF shows that the NJD signed him then traded him. So just like the MT trade.

Last edited:
Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
CBus will definitely be better, just not sure how much. Pens gonna need to get creative to carve out a top 4 spot in the division.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Thank God the Pens didn't try and acquire Severson. That price tag ... yuck, especially that term.

While I agree Severson isn't worth $6M plus at that term, it wouldn't cripple the Pens bc in 2 years it's not going to matter with the window being officially shut.

It would definitely be a different defensive construction vs just a year ago.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Columbus will be a lot better but I’m not sure if they’ll be competitive. I mean their roster last year at times was yikes.

Was it worth all the picks and long term cap space they gave up…TBD. Sounds like Carlsson will be there pick. Not sure if he’s NHL ready or not.

They have been acquiring young players for a while now.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
While I agree Severson isn't worth $6M plus at that term, it wouldn't cripple the Pens bc in 2 years it's not going to matter with the window being officially shut.

It would definitely be a different defensive construction vs just a year ago.
Unless there's a major blowup planned, I don't think we are looking at windows being "officially" shut. Look at Seattle. Look at Florida. You can build cup contenders in one or two off seasons. I don't think Dubas or FSG want a closed window either.

Once the three core guys are gone, then it might be interesting to see how it shakes out but I can't imagine there will be much appetite for the Arizona model.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Columbus will be a lot better but I’m not sure if they’ll be competitive. I mean their roster last year at times was yikes.

Was it worth all the picks and long term cap space they gave up…TBD. Sounds like Carlsson will be there pick. Not sure if he’s NHL ready or not.

This was a poor move for Cbus bc of the TERM. But if I'm Pitt with a ton of cap room and only a couple years left with the core, I would have considered this move. Only cost a 3rd round pick and you've got some real stability on Defense.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

When you’re icing Roslovic and Boone Jenner as your top two centers you will not be that competitive lol…

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Unless there's a major blowup planned, I don't think we are looking at windows being "officially" shut. Look at Seattle. Look at Florida. You can build cup contenders in one or two off seasons. I don't think Dubas or FSG want a closed window either.

Once the three core guys are gone, then it might be interesting to see how it shakes out but I can't imagine there will be much appetite for the Arizona model.

Florida has a prime Barkov #2 pick, Lundell was a high pick at #12. Ekblad was a #1 pick, Huberdeau was a #3 pick and became Tkachuk.

Florida's core came from the draft still.

Barkov
Ekblad
Huberdeau -> Tkachuk

You cant pair them with Seattle.

Reactions: SEALBound and Peat

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
When you’re icing Roslovic and Boone Jenner as your top two centers you will not be that competitive lol…
Well it will probably be Kent Johnson and Leo Carlsson. I know KJ was playing some wing but he’s going to be a tremendous playmaker and not that far off.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Well it will probably be Kent Johnson and Leo Carlsson. I know KJ was playing some wing but he’s going to be a tremendous playmaker and not that far off.
Probably but not this season I don’t think…Carlsson will probably be in the mix…they better hope he learns fast…I still think they’re a couple years from icing a competitive forward group

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
My guess is CBJ don't necessarily expect to be amazing with their new dmen but think it's time to give Johnson/Sillinger/New High Pick a competitive backing so they work on not having that losing mentality. Better to spend a little to give them a shot then sacrifice them waiting for the round of high picks.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

How about when the core guys aren't gone but largely a former shell of their prime? Because at their age I fully expect a significant drop from at least two of them. Beyond that you can't expect Sid or Geno to play every game.

Reactions: SEALBound

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
My guess is CBJ don't necessarily expect to be amazing with their new dmen but think it's time to give Johnson/Sillinger/New High Pick a competitive backing so they work on not having that losing mentality. Better to spend a little to give them a shot then sacrifice them waiting for the round of high picks.
Honestly dont think its that bad for CBJ. This is the best their D has looked on paper, maybe ever.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
You have to pay a premium to bring desirable free agents to Columbus.

I make fun of Ohio a lot. For good reason. But it's actually a pretty nice little city in and of itself.

But you aren't wrong. Preconceived notions are what they are and Columbus has never been competitive. Tough sell. Plus again Ohio as a whole kinda sucks.

Reactions: Rave7215

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I make fun of Ohio a lot. For good reason. But it's actually a pretty nice little city in and of itself.

But you aren't wrong. Preconceived notions are what they are and Columbus has never been competitive. Tough sell. Plus again Ohio as a whole kinda sucks.
And now Babcock is the coach.
Severson just signed up for no shot at Cups for 8 years.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Is Barabanov really going to be available from the SJS? He seems like the good young player that they should be keeping. Maybe like us and Rust circa 2017-18.

Something else we should be keeping an eye on is the RFA unQO pool. Plenty of teams fans thinking that some guys won't get the QO. I think there were some good steals in the last 2-3 years. Gurianov and Comtois come to mind as two interesting choices for a bottom 6 forward that could provide useful skill sets.

I think it came out that it the contract was signed first, then traded. But, more or less, yes. Both him and Huberdeau.

ETA: Just checked, CF shows that the NJD signed him then traded him. So just like the MT trade.

Barabanov is 29 next season and a UFA the year after. He's out of San Jose most likely after this year.

CBJ never intended to rebuild. So people thinking they were rebuilding should've read the writing on the wall when PLD got moved for players not futures and they signed Gaudreau.

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
Im actually intrigued by this off season due to the cap space we have. If Granlund is actually bought out we would have approx $24 million to spend. Obviously depends on if anything happens to Carter or Petry but I assume this is most likely how the money will be spent.

Forwards - Approx 13-15 Million to spend

Guentzel-Crosby-Rakell
$5-6 Million LW - Malkin - Rust
$3-4 Million LW - $4-5 Million Center - Nylander
DOC (1.2) - Poehling (1.2) - Carter

Defense - Maybe $4 Million here for LD depth
Petterson-Letang
POJ-Petry (Trade possible?)
Chad-Ruuta

Goalie
$4-6.5 Million Starter
Desmith

Reactions: Darren McCord

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I think you can probably cross Seattle off too. Almost 10 million dedicated to goaltending next year. They’ll bury Driedger in the AHL but even still no owner is going to sign off on spending $15 million on goaltending.

Well, there's always the "obvious" way around that: a three-way trade!
Kraken get Ullmark, Pens get Grubauer, and Bruins get DeSmith/Cap space!
:sarcasm:

Reactions: Jacob
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad