Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Ploff time

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I don’t know how we can say with any degree of certainty how the playoff teams from next season will shake out. At least not until after FA. I think the Sabres have close to 40 million in space.
Who's their starting goalie gonna be? So far they have 41 year old Anderson.
What quality starter is taking that job right now?

That's what they'd need to make the playoffs.
Are they even gonna spend to the cap? Plus what good free agents will choose Buffalo over others right now, given the state of their management?

I really don't see Buffalo having more points than us next year. There's only so much you can do with 34 mil when you already have a lot of holes and have high free agent costs.
The guy who is supposed to be their generational defenseman and minute eater defends like guys on Wilkes. That's a problem.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Who's their starting goalie gonna be? So far they have 41 year old Anderson.
What quality starter is taking that job right now?

That's what they'd need to make the playoffs.
Are they even gonna spend to the cap? Plus what good free agents will choose Buffalo over others right now, given the state of their management?

I really don't see Buffalo having more points than us next year. There's only so much you can do with 34 mil when you already have a lot of holes and have high free agent costs.
The guy who is supposed to be their generational defenseman and minute eater defends like guys on Wilkes. That's a problem.
I’m not saying the Sabres are going to compete for anything. I’m just saying that it’s way too early to be thinking our playoff spot is already locked up next season. I wouldn’t even bother guessing until FA is done.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I’m not saying the Sabres are going to compete for anything. I’m just saying that it’s way too early to be thinking our playoff spot is already locked up next season. I wouldn’t even bother guessing until FA is done.
No one fixes everything in free agency. It's for tune-ups, not a full restructuring. Those teams have too many holes to patch.

I'm normally cautious with things like this too, but the only team I'm concerned about are the Isles. And without Trotz I don't see this new coach getting as much out of that team like in years past. But I suppose I can see a timeline where that's possible.

But even if that happens and they pass us, I'm pretty sold on us finishing ahead of Boston. Their 2 best players out for like 20 games to start the year.
And are the Caps better than us next year? Or the Rangers? 🤔

I'm not worried. Even if we somehow miss the playoffs that means a shot at Bedard or at least a higher pick, which we need badly.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Thursday night trivia

When/who was last goalie to win a Stanley Cup playing 60 or more games?

Marc Andre Fleury 2009, 62 games. It was Quick in 2012, 69 games. NHL.com article said Fleury

Yeah but MAF smiled for all 82 games.

Reactions: Pens x

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Just left the airport and Hextal and Burke picked up Jags in a limo

Maybe Yohe will write an article about it
Geno/Jags 2nd line confirmed?? The dark prince returns?
hero-image.fill.size_1200x1200.v1614271530.png

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Let Lindberg play backup and toss him into the fire. Sink or swim baby. Go ultra cheap on the tenders.

Rather let him play than pay CDS 2M or whatever. You guys gotta live a little. Take the risk. Who knows Lindberg might ball out.

Worst case he's meh and you trade for another turd backup later.

Reactions: Andy99

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Let Lindberg play backup and toss him into the fire. Sink or swim baby. Go ultra cheap on the tenders.

Rather let him play than pay CDS 2M or whatever. You guys gotta live a little. Take the risk. Who knows Lindberg might ball out.

Worst case he's meh and you trade for another turd backup later.

How cheap we talkin? I feel like a vet like Holtby is going to come in at 1.5-2.

In our situation we're lucky to have a number 1 for 3.5. A backup at 2.5 or less is acceptable.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
I don't have a problem with them signing DeSmith as long as the contract is for one year and around 1 mil. He has been a very good backup, just sucks he hasn't been available at the most important time.

I also don't have a problem with them going after another backup.

But letting Lindberg be the backup is insane-O-mite. Guy has played like 7 pro games and then he got hurt. And that injury kept him out the rest of the season.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
PENGUINS

19. The Penguins are very much prioritizing re-signing Kris Letang and Evgeni Malkin (in that order) before free agency opens. But in the event that Malkin isn't able to be re-signed, the Penguins' front office has had internal discussions regarding pending unrestricted free agent (and Upper St. Clair native) Vince Trocheck as a possible Plan B. The Red Wings are among the teams expected to make a push for Trocheck in free agency. -- Taylor Haase at PPG Paints Arena

20. Speaking of Trocheck, he's recently arrived back in Pittsburgh and has joined the group of local players skating at the Lemieux Complex. Projected top-5 pick Logan Cooley is also among those skating. -- Haase

21. The ability to not only play with pace, but maintain that pace over a period of time is what the coaching staff wants to see from Radim Zohorna this season in order to become a regular in the lineup. Knowing that, it's encouraging to know that Zohorna is working with the same trainer as Hurricanes center Martin Necas this summer. The NHL's player tracking data clocked Necas as having the top recorded speed in the league in the regular season, peaking at 24.9 miles per hour. -- Haase

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I much preferred the thread reset at 1K posts versus 10K. Per usual, the answer lay somewhere in the middle.... Maybe 2500? lol

Anyway - does anyone want to make sense of Burke's logic (his on-record logic at least) that they're waiting to see what Letang will do before signing Malkin? It makes no sense. You're not (shouldn't be) maxing either guy... so it's not a situation where - oh we can't sign Letang so here Geno take 11M.

Either Letang comes in at 7.5-8.5 or we let him walk (I still think it's going to be a mistake). Either Geno comes in at 6.5-7.5 or we let him walk. Whichever order you sign them to those deals - you STILL have 9-10M spare cap space. There's no reason you can't sign Geno first.

If both players are demanding (which, I think they are) more than that or wanting to see what free agency holds....then let them go. Many sports franchises have held out to see if their favorite stars would sign with them - while missing out on potential deals and free agents only to watch their star leave. I really hope we're not falling into this stupid trap. Give them a week, or start making other plans.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
PENGUINS

19. The Penguins are very much prioritizing re-signing Kris Letang and Evgeni Malkin (in that order) before free agency opens. But in the event that Malkin isn't able to be re-signed, the Penguins' front office has had internal discussions regarding pending unrestricted free agent (and Upper St. Clair native) Vince Trocheck as a possible Plan B. The Red Wings are among the teams expected to make a push for Trocheck in free agency. -- Taylor Haase at PPG Paints Arena

20. Speaking of Trocheck, he's recently arrived back in Pittsburgh and has joined the group of local players skating at the Lemieux Complex. Projected top-5 pick Logan Cooley is also among those skating. -- Haase

21. The ability to not only play with pace, but maintain that pace over a period of time is what the coaching staff wants to see from Radim Zohorna this season in order to become a regular in the lineup. Knowing that, it's encouraging to know that Zohorna is working with the same trainer as Hurricanes center Martin Necas this summer. The NHL's player tracking data clocked Necas as having the top recorded speed in the league in the regular season, peaking at 24.9 miles per hour. -- Haase

I'm not threatened if it's us versus Detroit. Reasonable deal on the table and he'd take it to play with his hometown / better team. The free agency Summers where Vegas, New York, Tampa etc are spending cash...that's when Pittsburgh gets slim pickings. Detroit?

But yeah I don't like the plan B verbiage. Unless that means its' part of a greater plan B. Hell even just somehow signing Letang and Malkin isn't all the big of a victory - if you even want to call it one. What's the definition of insanity again? Let's keep the same players together and expect a differerent outcome? Team needs a shakeup regardless of what happens. Deals or free agents.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I much preferred the thread reset at 1K posts versus 10K. Per usual, the answer lay somewhere in the middle.... Maybe 2500? lol

Anyway - does anyone want to make sense of Burke's logic (his on-record logic at least) that they're waiting to see what Letang will do before signing Malkin? It makes no sense. You're not (shouldn't be) maxing either guy... so it's not a situation where - oh we can't sign Letang so here Geno take 11M.

Either Letang comes in at 7.5-8.5 or we let him walk (I still think it's going to be a mistake). Either Geno comes in at 6.5-7.5 or we let him walk. Whichever order you sign them to those deals - you STILL have 9-10M spare cap space. There's no reason you can't sign Geno first.

If both players are demanding (which, I think they are) more than that or wanting to see what free agency holds....then let them go. Many sports franchises have held out to see if their favorite stars would sign with them - while missing out on potential deals and free agents only to watch their star leave. I really hope we're not falling into this stupid trap. Give them a week, or start making other plans.
Right, it makes no sense. they should have a max $ they both come in at and should tell their agents, “this is max combined cap hit, you guys work it out” if the Pens can’t do that themselves….to me, this is Burke saying that they gave Malkin a lowball take it or leave it offer and if Letang comes in at the lower end of what they’ll accept, then maybe they can negotiate a little further with Geno…that’s how I read the situation. But there definitely is a max total $ theyre willing to pay out for both players…

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Right, it makes no sense. they should have a max $ they both come in at and should tell their agents, “this is max combined cap hit, you guys work it out” if the Pens can’t do that themselves….to me, this is Burke saying that they gave Malkin a lowball take it or leave it offer and if Letang comes in at the lower end of what they’ll accept, then maybe they can negotiate a little further with Geno…that’s how I read the situation. But there definitely is a max total $ theyre willing to pay out for both players…

But even that doesn't work to his logic of signing one versus the other in order. They're not 2 wingers.

I understand your take (the only take from what he's saying) - that they've artifically made a number that they both "have to fit"...but that makes no sense. Why not raise or lower it by 1-3M? We have 25 in space.

The real ceiling should only be what they can provide at their positions. Geno plays like an elite winger at this stage in his career. What do those get? Well at term/age right around 6.5-7.5. Letang plays like a "number 1 defender capable of offense" - again aging with injury history so 7.5-8.5. Based on the whole Makar/Josi publicity and recency of Hedman - I do believe someone will pay Kris 9.5...but that shouldn't be us.

So yeah - it makes no difference if you offer them those deals out of order. Either they take them or leave them. Neither are worth more than that for what they can bring this team. Maybe another team in depserate need of star power or a captain...but not us.

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think the Penguins could get Trocheck at a discount if it's Pittsburgh or Detroit. I think there was a rumor that San Jose offered Tavares $13 million a year, but he took like $11.5 million a year from Toronto instead.

But if Detroit is offering Trocheck $6.5 million a year, you're not getting him for $5 million a year. And frankly I don't want to pay him much more than $5 million a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium