Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Ploff time

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Are there no better options than DeSmith?
Only Fleury and potentially Holtby imo, and even those are a toss up. Fleury's old, and Holtby had good stats last year but sucked the 2 years prior to that.
The starter/playoff experience gives them the edge.
Campbell is out of our price range and wouldn't be interested in a backup role.
DeSmith is a .915 career goalie here. He's never been below .912 in 4 seasons.

The only reason for trepidation with CDS are his multiple surgeries. It was the same surgery, just on the opposite groin as last playoffs.
He said the repaired one gave him no problems throughout the year. So the hope is both are fixed and he's good to go now.

I'm still a bit concerned, with his super athletic style. But he's the backup and hopefully Jarry will be available this time in April and we'll be ok...

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yeah, and I imagine the cost difference between Wedgewood and DeSmith won't be that big.

I can't see DeSmith costing more than like $1.75 million a year.

Wedgewood just signed for two years at $1 mil AAV…so why is CDS earning a raise? If they sign CDS, that should be the contract terms….

Reactions: Ginormousthumbs

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yeah, I don’t get the giving CDS a big raise part. He sucked to start the year, bounced back but was unavailable for the playoffs again…if they’re being tight-fisted with Geno, they should certainly put the screws to CDS to sign for less than $1.5 mil…

Reactions: Ginormousthumbs

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
I don't know that I've agreed with you much lately (which is fine) but this is spot on.

That makes sense considering he changes his stances several times a day.

This morning you make a post agreeing with him. In the afternoon you head back here to find that he's now changed stances, so your agreement post is now a disagreement post. 2 minutes later you get a notification of a reply by him destroying your post

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Yeah, I don’t get the giving CDS a big raise part. He sucked to start the year, bounced back but was unavailable for the playoffs again…if they’re being tight-fisted with Geno, they should certainly put the screws to CDS to sign for less than $1.5 mil…
When you play that sporadically and start poorly, those numbers linger and people talk about them forever.

Best way to assess is to look at his game logs and break down how many were shit/average/good

Reactions: Andy99

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
When you play that sporadically and start poorly, those numbers linger and people talk about them forever.

Best way to assess is to look at his game logs and break down how many were shit/average/good

For goalies who played a minimum of 15 games De Smith came in 40th in Quality Starts with .500 (so half the games he played)

Quality Starts
Starts with SV% > average SV% for the year, or at least 88.5% on nights with 20 or fewer shots against.

2021/22 Goalie Stats

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
For goalies who played a minimum of 15 games De Smith came in 40th in Quality Starts with .500 (so half the games he played)

Quality Starts
Starts with SV% > average SV% for the year, or at least 88.5% on nights with 20 or fewer shots against.

2021/22 Goalie Stats
Moneypuck has him at 34th of 69 goalies who played 15+ games in goals saved above expected. Right in the middle of the league.

I'll agree with people that this was probably his worst year. But even if it is, that's not a bad low point at all.
I bet he'll start better next year too.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Moneypuck has him at 34th of 69 goalies who played 15+ games in goals saved above expected. Right in the middle of the league.

I'll agree with people that this was probably his worst year. But even if it is, that's not a bad low point at all.
I bet he'll start better next year too.

It’s decent especially considering we are not a goalie friendly team.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad