Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Ploff time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
We already knew that the Pens were willing to a bend a little to sign Letang, and they aren’t with Malkin…that’s why we keep hearing he’s as good as gone…

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
This part of the tweet really stuck with me.

“Theres a path to a deal if both sides want it”

You love to see that in contract negotiations imo

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
In that same section about Letang, Friedman mentioned that Forsberg is looking at something like 8 years at $8.5 million to re-sign in Nashville, and considering what impact the 8th year plus low taxes in Tennessee have, it would likely cost way more to sign him in UFA.

I think that kinda kills the Forsberg idea sadly. 8 years at $8.5 million is $68 million total, and that's in a low tax state. You need to go up to about $9.75 million a year to match that money on a 7 year deal, and that doesn't account for PA having a 3ish% income tax. You're easily looking at $10 million in UFA to beat that Nashville deal.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Eh, Nick Paul just got 7 years at $3.15 million solely because he was a decent enough placeholder in a middle-6 center role for Tampa this year. Paul had 14 points in 21 games in the regular season and 9 points in 23 playoff games.

I don't think any team would go that crazy with ERod, but I completely expect him to at least triple his AAV from last year. I think he gets term in the $3 million to $4 million range.
If he does get that I hope it's not from us

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Friedman also addressed Malkin in 32 thoughts, he said he doesn't get the sense yet that Malkin has a "path to a deal" in Pittsburgh and they're not close. Friedman's using "path to a deal" to basically mean "they're apart but there's a common ground that can be reached before free agency".

Friedman also speculated that Malkin may just end up taking the Penguins offer in the end if they're not willing to budge, but I want to emphasize speculated on that part. It sounded like a musing on his part more than a report. He said some players negotiate by just pushing as far as they can go and then taking the deal at the last minute, and he's wondering if Malkin will end up doing that here.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Friedman also addressed Malkin in 32 thoughts, he said he doesn't get the sense yet that Malkin has a "path to a deal" in Pittsburgh and they're not close. Friedman's using "path to a deal" to basically mean "they're apart but there's a common ground that can be reached before free agency".

Friedman also speculated that Malkin may just end up taking the Penguins offer in the end if they're not willing to budge, but I want to emphasize speculated on that part. It sounded like a musing on his part more than a report. He said some players negotiate by just pushing as far as they can go and then taking the deal at the last minute, and he's wondering if Malkin will end up doing that here.

So to summarize, he covered all his bases so he can pretend he actually has any insight to negotiations no matter how it works out. That's journalism, folks.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Yeah we could be weaker, but who's taking our playoff spot then? The Islanders? The Flyers? The Red Wings? Who's making that massive jump? I don't see it.
First off, it's really difficult to judge that right now, since we don't know what the team rosters look like yet. We haven't even hit the draft (prime trading time) much less free agency yet.

That said, I wouldn't write off the Blue Jackets as a possibility. They've got some decent talent, and if just a few things work out better for them, I could see them making the jump into a playoff spot.
I could honestly say something similar about the Devils, for that matter.

But, again, a lot will depend on these next two weeks. I think we'll have a better idea of where things stand on the 14th.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So to summarize, he covered all his bases so he can pretend he actually has any insight to negotiations no matter how it works out. That's journalism, folks.

I mean, I don't really think what Friedman said was unreasonable. He (and a lot of other people) has been saying the same thing for a long time: the Penguins and Malkin are really far apart on money. I don't think saying "a lot can change over the next 12 days, we don't know what Malkin will decide if the Penguins decide to not budge" is really covering all bases. It's just pointing out reality.

There's a lot of nuance in these kind of things and I don't really see why it's worthy of criticism to show that nuance.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I mean, I don't really think what Friedman said was unreasonable. He (and a lot of other people) has been saying the same thing for a long time: the Penguins and Malkin are really far apart on money. I don't think saying "a lot can change over the next 12 days, we don't know what Malkin will decide if the Penguins decide to not budge" is really covering all bases. It's just pointing out reality.

There's a lot of nuance in these kind of things and I don't really see why it's worthy of criticism to show that nuance.

Exactly everyone is saying the same thing. He could leave.....but he could stay. Hextall runs the tightest ship in the league outside of maybe Lou. Nobody knows what's actually going on and they are speculating that same stuff I could write. The fact anyone pays attention to these clowns is laughable. If/when any real news comes out, Kevin Weekes will put out a creepy close up face tweet before anyone else anyways.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Exactly everyone is saying the same thing. He could leave.....but he could stay. Hextall runs the tightest ship in the league outside of maybe Lou. Nobody knows what's actually going on and they are speculating that same stuff I could write. The fact anyone pays attention to these clowns is laughable. If/when any real news comes out, Kevin Weekes will put out a creepy close up face tweet before anyone else anyways.

No, everyone is saying that the Penguins and Malkin are really far apart on money.

I'm not going to bother defending these guys, people will believe or won't believe whatever they want to. I think the track records of guys like Friedman and Seravalli make their insight worthwhile. You don't agree with that.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
No, everyone is saying that the Penguins and Malkin are really far apart on money.

I'm not going to bother defending these guys, people will believe or won't believe whatever they want to. I think the track records of guys like Friedman and Seravalli make their insight worthwhile. You don't agree with that.
I think they do what I just said Friedman did and cover all the bases so they're both right and wrong no matter what happens. That's really what all in sports media does this day. If you listen to Madden or any other sports talk they take one side of a topic one week and flip to the other the next week so they can't be totally wrong. It's fine if you just want entertainment, but to actually let these guys get you hopeful or upset is wasted energy.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
First off, it's really difficult to judge that right now, since we don't know what the team rosters look like yet. We haven't even hit the draft (prime trading time) much less free agency yet.

That said, I wouldn't write off the Blue Jackets as a possibility. They've got some decent talent, and if just a few things work out better for them, I could see them making the jump into a playoff spot.
I could honestly say something similar about the Devils, for that matter.

But, again, a lot will depend on these next two weeks. I think we'll have a better idea of where things stand on the 14th.

Blue Jackets feel furthest off to me.

That said, falling out with their goalie aside, NJD are getting closer and closer to a team where I don't understand how they're not part of the race. I guess their roster feels a little short of players who'll win games on their bad days just by being bloody miserable to play against.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
I don't see Malkin pulling a Jagr and selling elsewhere for pennies more.

I think if Malkin does sign with another NHL team it'll be because of the difference of $2M+ a season.

Reactions: sovietsanta87

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Only like 12 more days until we can send off our old Malkin and Letang jerseys to the pro shop to replace the numbers and lettering with Trocheck 16 and Petry 26. How sweet it is.

Reactions: bathroomSTAAL

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

There was also an Athletic article about Russian NHLers who go back to Russia during the off-season not being able to return to the NHL next year. I wouldn't draft a Russian player in the draft this year and I'd beg Malkin to stay in the US this off-season if they end up retaining him.

Also, Ovechkin rubbing dicks with Putin as he's playing soccer for Dynamo Moscow just shows how much of a piece of shit Ovechkin is

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Only like 12 more days until we can send off our old Malkin and Letang jerseys to the pro shop to replace the numbers and lettering with Trocheck 16 and Petry 26. How sweet it is.
Wouldn't it just be easer to change the Malkin to Penguins legend Konstatin Koltsov? If you change 58 to 59 you're well on your way to a retro jersey of current Cup champion Jayson Megna.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Wouldn't it just be easer to change the Malkin to Penguins legend Konstatin Koltsov? If you change 58 to 59 you're well on your way to a retro jersey of current Cup champion Jayson Megna.
Definitely makes sense in this economy. Good points all around.

Also, Jake has to change his number because Megna's got seniority.

reino

Jul 20, 2019
Hextall is running tight ship, but there is Malkin's side too. They could easily leak something to media if negotiations aren't going well, they have nothing to lose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad