Proposal: Penguins-Sabres-Avalanche 3-way trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Penguins get Tuch
Sabres get Oliver-Joseph, Kaut and a 2023 2nd from Colorado
Avs get Rust at 50% (Buffalo retains 50%)

This deal is effectively Rust and POJ to Buffalo for Tuch followed by Rust at 50% to Colorado for Kaut and a 2023 2nd. I'm not entirely sure if this works with the cap for all 3 teams, but is the value reasonable?

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Awful proposal.

Any specifics for why?

If you think it's awful for Buffalo, I really don't see how getting 2 NHL ready former 1st rounders and a 2nd for a prime aged top-6 winger is "awful". I'm not super familiar with Kaut, but POJ is NHL ready and projects as a 2-way 2nd pair D. His only issue in Pittsburgh is that he's insanely redundant with who else the Penguins have on defense.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Tuch has too much term not to be thought of as a part of the next good Sabres team. It would be a surprise if was made available and this is far from a can’t refuse type offer.

Reactions: sabremike

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Because they suck and they're getting 2 former 1st rounders and a 2nd for him in this deal.

You seem to have missed the hometown angle...
Apparantely Tuch had like 100 people in the stands against Buffalo.

Wouldn't be surprised if that played a role in the return there. He is actually one of the few guys in the league that is probably excited to be a Sabre right now.
No way they trade him anytime soon.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You seem to have missed the hometown angle...
Apparantely Tuch had like 100 people in the stands against Buffalo.

Wouldn't be surprised if that played a role in the return there. He is actually one of the few guys in the league that is probably excited to be a Sabre.

Yeah I didn't actually realize that Tuch was from Syracuse. I can actually see him excited to play for his hometown team (or close to hometown team), and I imagine that the Sabres really want to hold onto good players who want to play for the Sabres. I don't think Tuch really fits Buffalo's window, but the hometown angle is a legit one to point out.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
How about writing the full name of the player you're offering?
I don't know the abbreviations of every obscure Penguins prospect.

That being said, no from Buffalo. If there's something we have more than enough of it's young lefty dmen.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
f*** no.

Side note: I wish people would stop using nicknames for prospects that aren't anywhere close to bluechip/household name types.

How about writing the full name of the player you're offering?
I don't know the abbreviations of every obscure Penguins prospect.

That being said, no from Buffalo. If there's something we have more than enough of it's young lefty dmen.

Pierre Oliver-Joseph has been called POJ on this site dating back to before he was a 1st round pick. It's the same way that Zach Aston-Reese is ZAR.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I don't think the Sabres targeted mature young prospects/young NHL players with the idea that they could be subsequently turned into assets that are even further away from making an impact. I think the Sabres want to start improving ASAP, but with players who will be in Buffalo for 5+ years.

There's also the likelihood that Tuch, a good young player who might actually relish the idea of playing back home in Upstate NY, gives Sabres management the warm fuzzies from an intangibles point of view.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I also would've had to use google to know who tf "ZAR" referred to. Maybe every Pens fan would instantly recognize it, but not everyone is a Pens fan.

I mean maybe I just know more players than most people here, but I recognize a majority of those kind of nicknames whenever I see them on here. You don't have to be a Penguins fan to know that. If I see a guy with a last name that is hyphenated, I'd bet that he has a nickname that is something along those lines.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
Well, I suppose if they want to trade Tuch, before he even unpacks his suitcase, let alone finds an apartment is the time to do it...

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009
The Sabres aren't trading the center piece of the Eichel return. Also just because a team is bad doesn't mean that they need to move every decent player they have over 21. Tuch is 25 and signed for 5 seasons (including this one), he's not old or an upcoming UFA.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Penguins get Tuch
Sabres get Oliver-Joseph, Kaut and a 2023 2nd from Colorado
Avs get Rust at 50% (Buffalo retains 50%)

This deal is effectively Rust and POJ to Buffalo for Tuch followed by Rust at 50% to Colorado for Kaut and a 2023 2nd. I'm not entirely sure if this works with the cap for all 3 teams, but is the value reasonable?

NO

Buffalo will not trade Tuck.

he us from WNY and was a Sabres fan.

he had 400 tickets for his visit to Buffalo.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
If I'm Buffalo, I'd be more interested in dealing directly with Colorado... something around Tuch for Newhook might be appealing to both teams

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
If I'm Buffalo, I'd be more interested in dealing directly with Colorado... something around Tuch for Newhook might be appealing to both teams

[MOD]

Tuch is from WBY
He’s not getting traded anytime soon
Buffalo is just above the floor so they need more salary coming back in any deal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I obviously like the idea of the Pns getting Tuch, but you know...time is an asset.

Let's wait awhile and there's a good chance his value drops in Buffalo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad