Proposal: Penguins-Sabres-Avalanche 3-way trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
As a sabres fan, this proposal made me groan so hard. A. Tuch is part of the plan. B. Imagine throwing those mid tier prospects into an Eichel trade, which is essentially what you are doing, and it just becomes absurd.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I would be in favor of this. Given the roster the Penguins have and their needs, I think this honestly works out well for all teams. Not sure what Rust is going to want but I know it will be more than what Tuch gets now so...yes.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Tuch is an important part of our rebuild. Adams has made it a point to target players that wants to be in Buffalo.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I wouldn't be surprised if Buffalo had better offers at some point. I don't think it can be overstated how important Tuch was to this deal - from the area, doesn't see the team as a dumpster fire (well not totally), and signed to a great long-term contract. Not to mention Tuch will instantly step into that locker room and be a leader and be able to help other young guys like Cozens develop.

I'd say he's already on their untouchable list.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I wouldn't be surprised if Buffalo had better offers at some point. I don't think it can be overstated how important Tuch was to this deal - from the area, doesn't see the team as a dumpster fire (well not totally), and signed to a great long-term contract. Not to mention Tuch will instantly step into that locker room and be a leader and be able to help other young guys like Cozens develop.

I'd say he's already on their untouchable list.

He will also be a fan favorite given he is from Syracuse and grew up a Sabres fan

Nikolajs Sillers

Jan 2, 2021
I mean maybe I just know more players than most people here, but I recognize a majority of those kind of nicknames whenever I see them on here. You don't have to be a Penguins fan to know that. If I see a guy with a last name that is hyphenated, I'd bet that he has a nickname that is something along those lines.
Eh. Sabres have they own JJP if that makes sense.:laugh:

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
The Sabres GM already talked about how this is a dream come true for Alex Tuch and how he has a ton of pride in wearing the Sabres jersey (something Kevyn Adams has emphasized a lot) and how he’s a good leader, etc.

Don Granato also talked about how he coached Tuch for 5 years and how he’s dying to put on a Sabres jersey and also talked about his leadership.

I feel pretty safe in saying that they felt he was a key piece in the Eichel trade and will be looked at to provide veteran leadership and be an example of being proud to play for Buffalo (again, this is something Adams talks about very frequently as something he’s really put an emphasis on. He thinks it’s been a big issue)

Cuphead

Jul 16, 2010
Pierre Oliver-Joseph has been called POJ on this site dating back to before he was a 1st round pick. It's the same way that Zach Aston-Reese is ZAR.

I mean maybe I just know more players than most people here, but I recognize a majority of those kind of nicknames whenever I see them on here. You don't have to be a Penguins fan to know that. If I see a guy with a last name that is hyphenated, I'd bet that he has a nickname that is something along those lines.

that's not even his name. his last name is just Joseph.

and his nickname is P.O. Joseph

like J.P. Dumont

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Pitt
Penguins get Tuch
Sabres get Oliver-Joseph, Kaut and a 2023 2nd from Colorado
Avs get Rust at 50% (Buffalo retains 50%)

This deal is effectively Rust and POJ to Buffalo for Tuch followed by Rust at 50% to Colorado for Kaut and a 2023 2nd. I'm not entirely sure if this works with the cap for all 3 teams, but is the value reasonable?
Pitt declines easliy especially after rust has said he wants to stay in Pitt.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town

He's here to stay.

Honestly, that's great to see. And smart from Adams.

If you hit the reset button, that's one thing. New prospects will have some runway in the Sabres org as the culture slowly changes. For older guys ("old" in relative terms for the core, I realize that Tuch is all of six months older than Eichel) you can get that sense of hometown/region pride, and give them the responsibility to helping to lead this young core to a winning mentality.

If Tuch really grew up a Sabres fan, that's got to give him a huge shot of confidence. the GM and org saying to him "We couldnt get it done with ROR, or Jack Eichel and Reinhart and now they're gone, but we think you're the kind of leader than can break the cycle"

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Let's just toss Sid + Rust for Girard+Newhook+1st+Kadri out there...

Edit. Plus star of the month Compher
Honestly, depending on the Pens record at the new year, you might have some posters willing to discuss that, lol. Such are the moods of the Pens board after each loss that seems to herald a new low.

It does seem clear to me that if Sid goes anywhere else in his career, it's going to be to the Avs. Some how, some way. I want him to stay and contend with the Pens until the very day he hangs em up. But realistically, if the Pens really start to decline, and he, Malkin or Letang want one last swan song before their careers are over, the org and fans would be happy to grant that. Forget the return. Something about Crosby lining up with MacKinnon one day would be really frigging cool. That duo alone could probably will their way to a cup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Postanin CB Ting

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Honestly, that's great to see. And smart from Adams.

If you hit the reset button, that's one thing. New prospects will have some runway in the Sabres org as the culture slowly changes. For older guys ("old" in relative terms for the core, I realize that Tuch is all of six months older than Eichel) you can get that sense of hometown/region pride, and give them the responsibility to helping to lead this young core to a winning mentality.

If Tuch really grew up a Sabres fan, that's got to give him a huge shot of confidence. the GM and org saying to him "We couldnt get it done with ROR, or Jack Eichel and Reinhart and now they're gone, but we think you're the kind of leader than can break the cycle"

IF….WTF.

Below is just one of many sources….this was done prior to his first Buffalo visit in 2018

https://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/former-sabres-fan-alex-tuch-enjoys-buffalo-homecoming/

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Penguins get Tuch
Sabres get Oliver-Joseph, Kaut and a 2023 2nd from Colorado
Avs get Rust at 50% (Buffalo retains 50%)

This deal is effectively Rust and POJ to Buffalo for Tuch followed by Rust at 50% to Colorado for Kaut and a 2023 2nd. I'm not entirely sure if this works with the cap for all 3 teams, but is the value reasonable?

LOL. No thanks from Buffalo for your maybes. Tuch is proven at NHL and signed long-term. Plus, he wants to be a Sabre. Shut this down. It's just silly

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
IF….WTF.

Below is just one of many sources….this was done prior to his first Buffalo visit in 2018

https://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/former-sabres-fan-alex-tuch-enjoys-buffalo-homecoming/
Chill man, 'If' was just a poor word choice to start that paragraph. I'm not trying to sow doubt that he's a Sabres fan, the ticket thing has been mentioned like 4,000 times in the main trade thread. No need to get so defensive over it when the tone of my post obviously accepted his connection to the team as fact and anyone and their granny can verify that he's from Syracuse, lol.

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
Any specifics for why?

If you think it's awful for Buffalo, I really don't see how getting 2 NHL ready former 1st rounders and a 2nd for a prime aged top-6 winger is "awful". I'm not super familiar with Kaut, but POJ is NHL ready and projects as a 2-way 2nd pair D. His only issue in Pittsburgh is that he's insanely redundant with who else the Penguins have on defense.

Because Kaut is pretty much a bust.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad