Paul Maurice: Class act and a legendary coach

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan

Leaf fans be like

200w.gif

• Haha
Reactions: PlushMinus

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
With all due respect, he was almost one goal from joining Todd McLellan in the reverse sweep category. It’s great they got this far but getting so close to getting reverse swept is a bad look regardless of the outcome.
I think history will remember that they won the cup. Not a big deal will be made about almost getting reverse swept.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
With all due respect, he was almost one goal from joining Todd McLellan in the reverse sweep category. It’s great they got this far but getting so close to getting reverse swept is a bad look regardless of the outcome.
But he didn't join McLellan, and his team won the Cup. So this hypothetical scenario where he fails isn't reality and has no bearing on what he ACTUALLY achieved.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Not gonna lie. Thought he was terrible in Winnipeg.
He was so up and down with Hartford/Carolina 1995-2003...he leaves and they win the cup 3 years later lol but to be fair he did get them to the final in 02. No one was beating Detroit that year, they were basically an all-star team up front with Hasek in goal. I did enjoy Irbe vs Hasek, two awesome and very unorthodox goalies.

Funny to think Carolina beat Edmonton that year (06) and Maurice ends up beating Edmonton to win it years later. He got his chance against Edmonton afterall.

Reactions: Sentinel

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
But he didn't join McLellan, and his team won the Cup. So this hypothetical scenario where he fails isn't reality and has no bearing on what he ACTUALLY achieved.
The reality is that the series should never have gotten to 7 games with a crippled McDavid, Draisatl and Kane and a borderline AHL goaltender in Skinner.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
These takes that "being so close" to getting reverse swept practically nullifies the cup win make no sense and no one who didn't want Oilers to win, or otherwise has an axe to grind thinks that. Yeah it ended up going to game 7, but they won that game. They didn't get reverse swept, they won the cup. In the end it's no different to any other 7 game series, 4 wins takes it.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I finally decided to watch the celebrations. I was feeling pretty apathetic still until coming across this thread. Happy for Maurice.

He's been one of my top coaches to follow for many years.
Maurice has always been a great honest or at least funny interview but these are his best. As others have said, that shout out to his mom and dad was just great. Him grabbing that cup yelling "f*** yeah "over and over, that made me feel "f*** yeah"as well

Hell yeah!! Stanley Cup Champion

Hahaha at the very end

• Haha
Reactions: cptjeff

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
For me, he is quickly becoming the oldest remaining active link to the nhl (non player)

He's been a head coach since the mid 90s starting with the whalers.

There's Lou ahead of him off the top of my head but the list can't be very long.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad