Player Discussion Patrik Laine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
DAL, CAR and DET are two teams in top 10 that seems to have had a split (I checked some of their forwards PP% on Frozen tools)
Dallas stack it but they have depth (parity) there so some pieces are interchangeable.
Car have gone with 2 D - quite uncommon now for unit 1 - but like to have Jarvis and Aho on 1st unit.

Detroit take a balanced approach. True true. :)

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Dallas stack it but they have depth (parity) there so some pieces are interchangeable.
Car have gone with 2 D - quite uncommon now for unit 1 - but like to have Jarvis and Aho on 1st unit.

Detroit take a balanced approach. True true. :)
Aho and Pavelski were seeing less than 65% of the available PP minutes.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Great to see Heineman shaking hands with Laine. Clearly he was not going to miss that day...Swede had to come and see what this new Finn was all about!

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
Where'd you see that ?
zh1jbfvybxkp35fnumpp.jpg

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
Unless Dach/Laine have instant chemistry in the preseason, I'd have Laine with Suzuki to start the season. He's our most paid player now he needs to play with a top line center. Slaf or Caufield can play with Dach and Newhook.
Why on earth you want to destroy the C-S-Slaf chemistry? Laine should start the season in the second line with Dach and Newhook. He did nothing for us yet. It would be absurd to remove Caufield from the PP1 for Laine on day 1.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Unless Dach/Laine have instant chemistry in the preseason, I'd have Laine with Suzuki to start the season. He's our most paid player now he needs to play with a top line center. Slaf or Caufield can play with Dach and Newhook.
I actually think Dach’s a better passer than Suzuki is. I like Suzuki better because he’s got a killer shot. I don’t think it hurts either CC or Laine to be with either of these players.

I would absolutely keep CC on the first unit PP to start the season though. Makes no sense to remove him. If his shoulder is still wonky and Laine’s is better, then sure flip them. But I think CC’s a better bet to have a good season this year.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Why on earth you want to destroy the C-S-Slaf chemistry? Laine should start the season in the second line with Dach and Newhook. He did nothing for us yet. It would be absurd to remove Caufield from the PP1 for Laine on day 1.
pp was 24th in the league. CC’s 9 goals ranked 34th. We’re really used to mediocrity aren’t we. Scratch that, mediocrity would be a pp ranked around 16 semantically.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
pp was 24th in the league. CC’s 9 goals ranked 34th. We’re really used to mediocrity aren’t we. Scratch that, mediocrity would be a pp ranked around 16 semantically.
Maybe if they replace Mike “I can do it all by myself and I’m blind from the right eye” Matheson with Hutson, we could see an improvement.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Maybe if they replace Mike “I can do it all by myself and I’m blind from the right eye” Matheson with Hutson, we could see an improvement.
I agree he’s meh on special teams (almost like he has too much time to think), I’m just scoffing at the idea there isn’t lots (looooots) of room for improvement at every position on pp1, including the « un-toucheable » cc-Suz-Slaf line.

edit - I have Hutson over Matheson and Laine over CC to start the year on pp1 because I feel they are almost obliged.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: rahad

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Sounds like a recipe for mediocrity.

Is there a top 10 PP in the NHL that “spreads it out”?

TB, Rangers, Oilers, Leafs, Carolina, Vancouver, Col, Fla …. None of them do this.
Nope they don't. They look to play the entire two minutes while tiring out the opposition.
We started getting some of those lengthier PP's happening towards the end of last season.
Unfortunately bad decisions put an end to some of the better ones needlessly.
They were however very good Power Plays and definitely kept the momentum rolling on our side.
Personally I like a healthy competition for those prime minutes something we've never had enough depth for...
Until now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad