LeBrun: Patrik Laine wants a fresh start and trade out of Columbus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Feels like a tough trade to make for both Columbus and whomever is trading for him. The talent and goal scoring ability is still there, it's just that he can't stay healthy ever since he went to CBJ. If a teams sport science section can help him stay healthy then it could be a real good trade for whoever gets him.

Feels like this is the sort of talent Carolina is looking to get back in a Necas trade.
Too many injuries, high cost, and no control. Trading Necas for laine doesn’t make sense for Carolina

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
10 team no trade list eh?
That’s all the Canadian teams, Buffalo, Minny and Utah I bet
Kaine is too funny. How arrogant is he thinking he could use a no trade list. He has negative value. If he wants a fresh start then he better jump on any team that will trade for him. Because the list of interested clubs will be short, if any at all.

Reactions: JKG33

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
His cap hit is an albatross for such a risky player. Huge risk involved here. Could be a huge pay off if he returns to form and stays healthy.

From the Habs one of Gally or Anderson needs ro be included. We can't have 3 players that are overpaid. Either player would still provide some cap relief for The Jackets.

Anderson + Winnipeg 1st + Jordan Harris.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
To Columbus:
:cbj
-2024 1st round pick (2nd overall)
-Lukas Reichel

To Chicago:
:hawks
-2024 1st round pick (4th overall)
-Patrick Laine
Zero chance Hawks do this. CBJ adds a lot to mske such a trade happen. IMO Laine has significant negative value and the cost to move him out will be so high it won’t happen.

Reactions: themelkman

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
To Columbus:
-Lukas Reichel

To Chicago:
-Patrick Laine

WTF would Hawks do that? Hawks give away better pick and young LW for lesser pick and a major ?

A very costly major question mark

$8.7M cap hit over next 2 years and the contract was backloaded so actual cost

24-25 = $2M signing bonus + $7.1M salary = $9.1M
25-26 = $2M signing bonus + $7.1M salary = $9.1M

$18.1M in actual cost for Laine the next 2 years

If Hawks take on Laine its not downgrading pick and giving away Reichel in process

AA or mid round pick for Laine is chance you take if your ownership is willing to greenlight eating cost/risks

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Laine + Johnson + Columbus 1st in 2025

For

Marner
KJ or the 1st. Not both. And we'd need ahead-of-time confirmation that Marner would extend here.

* * *​
Tarasov or Greaves + Laine

Chychryn + Forsberg + 25OA

CBJ saves about $3M in cap in this deal next season and can flip Chychrun at the deadline for more futures if desired. After next season they'll have about $9M for Laine's UFA replacement

Sens get the goalie and top 6 winger we need.
It's a fair try but I don't think that package works for us. Chychrun isn't the sort of blueliner we need. We really need a shutdown guy, not a "sell at the deadline" guy; we've got "sell at the deadline" already with Provorov.

If we don't get an offer that's a better fit I could see us circling around back to this but it wouldn't be my first or second choice.

* * *​
To Columbus:
-Lukas Reichel

To Chicago:
-Patrick Laine
I think we're happy enough with the 4th overall and wouldn't get enough from trading up to justify this.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
WTF would Hawks do that? Hawks give away better pick and young LW for lesser pick and a major ?

A very costly major question mark

$8.7M cap hit over next 2 years and the contract was backloaded so actual cost

24-25 = $2M signing bonus + $7.1M salary = $9.1M
25-26 = $2M signing bonus + $7.1M salary = $9.1M

$18.1M in actual cost for Laine the next 2 years

If Hawks take on Laine its not downgrading pick and giving away Reichel in process

AA or mid round pick for Laine is chance you take if your ownership is willing to greenlight eating cost/risks
The type of team that will be acquiring Laine will be one that is convinced of his upside. If a team has reservations or wants to hedge their bets, then they really aren't a fit.

Reactions: Viqsi

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
You can certainly take that stance as a fan, but that's not what will happen.
Here is a quote from Pierre LeBrun on the Necas situation (same article as Laine news):
At the end of the day, if Carolina can’t bring a team to the threshold it needs to move the 25-year-old Czech forward, so be it. The Canes have told teams they are ready to keep him.

In that scenario, what will be interesting to see is how Necas, a restricted free agent July 1, reacts if he’s not moved. It is beyond a doubt he wants a change of scenery.

Yes Necas is an RFA and Laine will be a UFA in 2 years. But this is the team that CBJ GM Don Waddell just left...

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Lsine isn’t pulling any real value

Too many injuries, high cost, and no control. Trading Necas for laine doesn’t make sense for Carolina

The no control part is big, didn't think of that. Seems like a lot of teams this off season have some tough trades to make.

I'm not getting into Necas talks or Laine to Carolina talks, but on "control", if you're referring to years of control over the player, two years is actually a selling point.

I'm sure there are a lot of clubs that will be looking at the dollar figure on 7 or 8 year contracts for Reinhart and Guentzel and will turn white with how much risk they're taking on. Two years for Laine, even with all the injuries he's had, is much less risky. It does seem like a Carolina type of move.

Yes Necas is an RFA and Laine will be a UFA in 2 years.

Necas hits UFA in a year or two anyways. That's not more team control than Laine.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Crazy he's only 26. Feels like he's been around forever.

He's an injury prone mess though, I would stay pretty far from him.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
To Columbus:
-Lukas Reichel

To Chicago:
-Patrick Laine
Why does Chicago take a salary dump and move down in the draft?

Probably has everything to do with living and playing in Columbus. I think Laine in all likelihood wants to play in a big market and I have a feeling he will thrive there. Will be interesting to see where and how this plays out.
I don't get it.. Winnipeg is far from a big market but the media is very big market-like. He didn't like playing 2nd fiddle and wanted to lead a team. Now he's got the chance in one of the lowest pressure environments there is, and he can't even do that.

Buddy wants to be a huge fish in an ocean, but he can't even be a medium fish in a tiny pond

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Why does Chicago take a salary dump and move down in the draft?
Upgrade Reichel into Laine.

No difference between drafting 2nd and drafting 4th in this year's draft.

It's the illusion of giving value to Columbus. But the trade leans in Chicago's favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad