LeBrun: Patrik Laine wants a fresh start and trade out of Columbus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
i think they may be able to terminate his contract if he violates the rules again.
I'd want something more certain than a "I think" or "maybe".

Heck, I'm back and forth as to whether or not I'd want to give him a second third fourth chance at all. One could make the case that we have other Russians here he could relate to and that might help, but one could also make the case that his bad habits could spread. That latter would be a team-killing catastrophe to be assiduously avoided. So I'm not sure he'd be worth the risk regardless.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
If the valuable pieces themselves take up cap, then no cap dump is necessary. That'd be the ideal outcome. Futures really aren't that strong a need here; the prospect pool is largely built.
Fair enough. I guess where we don’t meet is on Laine’s value. He has had personal problems and now he asks for a trade. Don’t think you will get a valuable roster player for him.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I agree on Anderson but you will need to get a cap dump back if you want to trade Laine and get valuable pieces in the deal. You can switch Harris for Kovacevic if you want a big mean D.
Columbus will not probably return Anderson. I like him as a player but he is past for us.

Reactions: Benstheman

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
#1 is incorrect; his production does go down, but not substantially enough to justify his "invisible" reputation.
#2 is both incorrect - he has produced when guys like Matthews and Nylander are out and done great - and irrelevant, because he would not have "mediocre" support here.
#3 is probably accurate, but he's arguably worth that kind of money. Especially if we're no longer paying Laine, we'll have the room.

Seriously. Laine for Marner is what we would want. It'd depend a lot on what we'd be adding to make it happen, but presuming Mitch is willing, that'd be an ideal outcome.

The thought of Laine on the Leafs is enticing

It certainly sounds like the Leafs will be moving on from Marner (not something I completely support, but understand).

Tough task for Treliving. He absolutely cannot afford to lose a Marner trade. Mitch has earned some criticism but he’s a world class player at the end of the day and subtracting him from the Leafs makes them team considerably weaker.

So the return would have to be impactful enough that the Leafs feel secure in knowing they won’t take a step back.

I’d be interested in seeing what else could come back alongside Laine. Feels like an EA sports fantasy but a fun scenario nonetheless.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

It certainly sounds like the Leafs will be moving on from Marner (not something I completely support, but understand).

Tough task for Treliving. He absolutely cannot afford to lose a Marner trade. Mitch has earned some criticism but he’s a world class player at the end of the day and subtracting him from the Leafs makes them team considerably weaker.

So the return would have to be impactful enough that the Leafs feel secure in knowing they won’t take a step back.

I’d be interested in seeing what else could come back alongside Laine. Feels like an EA sports fantasy but a fun scenario nonetheless.

Matthews, Laine and Dubois in Toronto? 😼
patrik-laine-auston-matthews-and-pierre-luc-dubois.jpg

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
does Columbus want to compete.

If rebuilding, retaining to 50 percent makes that one hell of a contract and could get some real value

does Columbus want to compete.

If rebuilding, retaining to 50 percent makes that one hell of a contract and could get some real value

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
That's an inherent risk for any team acquiring a new player.

If I'm Don Waddell - I make him available for a return that matches his value on paper. If no offers match that, then I tell Laine that we tried but unfortunately didn't get enough of an offer.
You can certainly take that stance as a fan, but that's not what will happen.

lol please, Marner is 3 times the player Laine is, Columbus would drive him to the airport and fly the plane to Toronto
Yeah that was an odd take. Marner's "underperforming" year is 15 pts higher than Laine's top pt total year.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017

This is insane. I hope it happens. Laine and a 3rd

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Invisible in the post season, not proven with mediocre support and his cap will be $12m+?
He has 16 points in 24 games - not exactly invisible could be better. Besides, it is another 2 years at 8.7 million. On the other hand Marner while good hasn't been a star in the playoffs as he has been in the regular season 50 points in 57 games - he has to be a star in the playoffs - not just a good player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad