LeBrun: Patrik Laine wants a fresh start and trade out of Columbus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
With all problems we can get players like Roslovic/Peeke (compare quality) and 2nd and 3rd rounds. If more, even the first round, Waddell would be a genius.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
With all problems we can get players like Roslovic/Peeke (compare quality) and 2nd and 3rd rounds. If more, even the first round, Waddell would be a genius.
Anderson + 26OA + Harris. But Viqsi already said no so I guess it won’t happen…

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
What are the reports on Laine. Is he supposed to come back this season?
It's not definitely known. Depends a lot on his status in/with the PAP, and for obvious reasons that's not generally available information. Nothing physical we're aware of that would get in the way.

One could presumably speculate that he'd be that much more likely to come back next season if traded as the fresh start would help with getting out of the PAP. But we don't actually know for sure.

EDIT: Oh wait nevermind, see post immediately above me. ;)

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
I get what you're saying - Toronto doesn't need more wingers. You're 100% correct.

From an asset in/out standpoint you couldn't do much better than Laine in a Marner trade if his value is indeed lower than it should be.

Going to be tough sledding next year in Toronto either way with the Marner+JT contracts on the books. A Laine + swap for Marner not only clears cap, but its a recoup of assets Dubas has bled out over the last few seasons. Laine would also give the leafs an absolute weapon on the PP.

Pressure has never been the issue with Laine. He's a bright lights player IMO.
What? Marner can bring back much more than Laine. Is this parody?

Reactions: Benstheman

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
It's not definitely known. Depends a lot on his status in/with the PAP, and for obvious reasons that's not generally available information. Nothing physical we're aware of that would get in the way.

One could presumably speculate that he'd be that much more likely to come back next season if traded as the fresh start would help with getting out of the PAP. But we don't actually know for sure.

EDIT: Oh wait nevermind, see post immediately above me. ;)
That make sense. Thx

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It's just that Anderson is a non-starter here. The 26th is interesting, and Harris would be interesting except that we have as much of a blueline logjam as y'all do and so he'd face the same lack of opportunities here. The Jackets and Habs just don't make very good trading partners right now.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
The problem is Anderson who wanted to play in another team and now he has bad salary to his play. Also we need a tough defensive d-man, not another small, offense. That's why I wrote Peeke as example.

Vancity96

Apr 13, 2014
Could something around Mikheyev + work for Laine?

Both have 2 years left on their deal.

If the Canucks aren't able to land Guentzal, Necas, or another top winger on the market, I wouldn't mind trying this out.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Could something around Mikheyev + work for Laine?

Both have 2 years left on their deal.

If the Canucks aren't able to land Guentzal, Necas, or another top winger on the market, I wouldn't mind trying this out.
I don't think so. A lateral winger move doesn't do us any good. The value of Laine to this team is that he could be a top-line guy; we've got plenty of top-6 guys already.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
The problem is Anderson who wanted to play in another team and now he has bad salary to his play. Also we need a tough defensive d-man, not another small, offense. That's why I wrote Peeke as example.
I agree on Anderson but you will need to get a cap dump back if you want to trade Laine and get valuable pieces in the deal. You can switch Harris for Kovacevic if you want a big mean D.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I agree on Anderson but you will need to get a cap dump back if you want to trade Laine and get valuable pieces in the deal. You can switch Harris for Kovacevic if you want a big mean D.
If the valuable pieces themselves take up cap, then no cap dump is necessary. That'd be the ideal outcome. Futures really aren't that strong a need here; the prospect pool is largely built.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad