LeBrun: Patrik Laine wants a fresh start and trade out of Columbus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
I don't really consider that fortunate. Marner is one of the few players competitive with Laine in the realm of "catching absurd amounts of hate and dismissal for the stupidest reasons".
I think Mitch could go to CLB, relax and play some great hockey. Id almost bet on it...

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I can partially agree with this. You’re not getting 50 goal value for Laine.

But this guy has serious potential, especially to a team like Toronto with a struggling power play.

I still see a 1st + solid roster player minimum.

Or a package deal with Laine as the centrepiece with other quality assets as a “trade-up” for a player like Marner.

The more I think of it a Laine - Marner base makes good sense for both teams. Laine strikes me as someone who wouldn’t give a shit about the Toronto media, and would probably give it back to them often.

Oh yeah. Torontos needs are defense, centre and goalie. They have a new hard nosed coach. Laine already needed to take breaks from the game and would be going to by far the most pressure filled team in the league. What a perfect fit!

Reactions: wintersej

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I have serious doubts you've ever seen marner play hockey if you believe this.
Marner is a regular season player and we will play in the PO without him soon. Also he played with Matthews I doubt he would play so good stats with our last season defense and centers. But his salary would be tragical for the team.

Lorenzo1000

Sep 8, 2003
Winnipeg
Back to Winnipeg.gif

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
Oh yeah. Torontos needs are defense, centre and goalie. They have a new hard nosed coach. Laine already needed to take breaks from the game and would be going to by far the most pressure filled team in the league. What a perfect fit!
I get what you're saying - Toronto doesn't need more wingers. You're 100% correct.

From an asset in/out standpoint you couldn't do much better than Laine in a Marner trade if his value is indeed lower than it should be.

Going to be tough sledding next year in Toronto either way with the Marner+JT contracts on the books. A Laine + swap for Marner not only clears cap, but its a recoup of assets Dubas has bled out over the last few seasons. Laine would also give the leafs an absolute weapon on the PP.

Pressure has never been the issue with Laine. He's a bright lights player IMO.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Marner is a regular season player and we will play in the PO without him soon. Also he played with Matthews I doubt he would play so good stats with our last season defense and centers. But his salary would be tragical for the team.
Marner does fine in the playoffs - not superstar level offensive production, but otherwise much better than his reputation would dictate. He's also performed when Matthews has been out injured, so that's not really as much of a consideration. His salary is a legit concern, but one we can afford if Laine's out of the picture.

I used to doubt him quite a bit as well, but having done much more research, I honest to G-d believe he'd be Panarin 2.0 here on the ice. Unfortunately, that might also extend to how long he's willing to stay, which is why I haven't been eager to pursue.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Utah for 2 of their 10 2nd round picks the next 3 years. 1 this year and 1 next year.

If any team can throw some picks at this sort of situation, they would certainly be top of the list. All of that draft capital and cap space, they can make that move.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I could see the Penguins being interested. He would certainly help the powerplay. He'd be given Crosby or Malkin as a center so the support would be there.

If Columbus was interested in Smith or Rakell and perhaps a RFA like POJ, something could work.

At $8.7mil with some question marks, I'm not sure I see a huge haul or even CBJ getting back a super quality player. I think you're looking a lateral move at best or a good prospect.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Marner does fine in the playoffs - not superstar level offensive production, but otherwise much better than his reputation would dictate. He's also performed when Matthews has been out injured, so that's not really as much of a consideration. His salary is a legit concern, but one we can afford if Laine's out of the picture.

I used to doubt him quite a bit as well, but having done much more research, I honest to G-d believe he'd be Panarin 2.0 here on the ice. Unfortunately, that might also extend to how long he's willing to stay, which is why I haven't been eager to pursue.
Point played good without Kucherov too but his stats are great especially thanks to Kucherov.

If a forward we need a player who has leaders qualities and plays good in PO. Look at Tarasenko against Florida and the last games against Rangers after his moving to Lundell and Luostarinen. Although he does not have excellent stats one has made many important things. Defense, carry the puck, win battles. This line is excellent.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
Marner will put up PPG+ with whoever he plays with. He is someone i can see thriving in a market like CBJ, kind of like what Gaudreau should have been for CBJ.

Marner is a driver and his salary will be high. But he will absolutely enable his linemates to be better players. and Johnny G would benefit following his lead IMO

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

I just refuse to give up on Laine even though I should.

You can see in my post history I've been saying this for years. I just think this guy has too good of a shot. I still see him somehow, someway putting up five straight 45 goal seasons.

A team should buy low and take a flyer on him. Put him with Matty Barzal.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Point played good without Kucherov too but his stats are great especially thanks to Kucherov.

If a forward we need a player who has leaders qualities and plays good in PO.
That's the ideal desire, but Laine's known issues are such that we can't expect an ideal return. Seek those qualities in some other add. Like, say, the second pairing shutdown blueliner that I want so badly I just might go completely apeshit if we don't get one.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I could see the Penguins being interested. He would certainly help the powerplay. He'd be given Crosby or Malkin as a center so the support would be there.

If Columbus was interested in Smith or Rakell and perhaps a RFA like POJ, something could work.

At $8.7mil with some question marks, I'm not sure I see a huge haul or even CBJ getting back a super quality player. I think you're looking a lateral move at best or a good prospect.
Rakell has far too much term to be considered, and adding POJ doesn't do anything for us 'cause we've got too many Young Upcoming Blueliners as is such that he wouldn't get the ice time opportunities he needs.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Marner will put up PPG+ with whoever he plays with. He is someone i can see thriving in a market like CBJ, kind of like what Gaudreau should have been for CBJ.

Marner is a driver and his salary will be high. But he will absolutely enable his linemates to be better players. and Johnny G would benefit following his lead IMO
Laine played 1PPG and 52 in 55 games (and had to return his shape after injuries) in not so good partners, especially defensmen. Be sure he will have 1 PPG more in a bit better team.
Gaudreau and Mariner are similar players, bad against the team with excellent forchecking and need special partners because they love to play around perimeter.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Bust

Jul 28, 2016

Dubas loves trading for star players.

I could see him in PIT.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg

Marner does not do fine when you look at his cap hit, and what other players of that cap hit do.

A Marner-Laine trades makes 0 sense for both teams. Marner is a slightly better but equally soft Gaudreau. Ya'll done need 2 overpaid pass first wingers. Meanwhile the last thing Toronto needs is another overpaid mental midget like Laine

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Laine played 1PPG and 52 in 55 games (and had to return his shape after injuries) in not so good partners, especially defensmen. Be sure he will have 1 PPG more in a bit better team.
Gaudreau and Mariner are similar players, bad against the team with excellent forchecking and need special partners because they love to play around perimeter.
The differences are substantial enough to matter. And this assessment is overlooking the known issues with Laine w/r/t availability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad