LeBrun: Patrik Laine wants a fresh start and trade out of Columbus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
lol please, Marner is 3 times the player Laine is, Columbus would drive him to the airport and fly the plane to Toronto

This, Laine cried his way out of Winnipeg to be the guy and couldn't handle it now he wants to be carried again.

Reactions: JKG33

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
If Columbus is ready to take on some money, he would make a ton of sense for Montreal.

We have tons of cap space to spend but are probably going to be competitive only in 2 years.

If Laine works out you re-sign him and he's part of your core at 28.

If he doesn't work out you let him go and you didn't screw your window with him

He adds size to a forward group that could really use it and some much needed offensive punch.

I think he's a perfect fit, depending on the cost.

Edit: Totally missed the part where he was on the players assistance program. Yeah, that actually changes a lot of things.
The problem is that we're facing exactly the same calculus by keeping him, and so a "cap dump exchange" type deal is 100% not in the cards.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
He would be a free asset that would score more points than about half of every team in the NHL.

Surely there would be teams not interested, but to say NOBODY would? Utah literally has to spend 20M just to hit the cap floor, Laine could be a possible godsend for them.

But that's all irrelevant because that's not reality.
Washington had to basically give Kuznetsov away at 50% retained

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
We already have one underperforming soft winger

Marner would be one of the most complete players to ever play for CBJ.

His value on HF boards is completely off base. The fact that you actually believe this tells me you don’t make opinions for yourself.

Reactions: Mckay and Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Jackets fans, why is he unhappy? Is it even known?
Can't speak for others, but the first I heard of him wanting to move on was this thread. So far as I knew he was in the PAP due to frustration with on-ice performance plus personal tragedy (losing his father).

It could be he just has painful memories and thinks moving elsewhere might help move on. Who knows.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't see how the Sharks would be willing to take him on if Vlasic isn't going the other way somehow. I would be interested in taking Laine and Merzlikins if it involves sending Vlasic and Vanecek or Blackwood the other way.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
There is risk involved with Laine, but I feel like it's being severely overstated.

He's been ~PPG the past 2 years, only has 2 years left on his contract, and still quite young. It's not like he had a potential career ending injury like Eichel.

If anything, that's the exact type of player you target if you think Laine can bounce back with your organization, because he's dealt with so much the past few years and bounced around on so many teams. I have no doubt he wants to find stability and a team that he just can enjoy playing hockey on, and would happily take a discount moving forward.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
The high cap hit ($8.7M) is not only potential issue, its the actual cost as well which is more than cap hit as deal was back loaded

24-25 = $2M signing bonus + $7.1M salary = $9.1M total salary
25-26 = $2M signing bonus + $7.1M salary = $9.1M total salary

$18.2M in real salary cost acquiring Laine ($16.2M if deal is made after signing bonus this summer is paid out)

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
He's making 8.7 million dollars. Was in the player assistance program. Hasn't played more than 56 games in a season in more than 4 years. What are we talking about here lol.
2nd rounder at 50% retained?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Invisible in the post season, not proven with mediocre support and his cap will be $12m+?
#1 is incorrect; his production does go down, but not substantially enough to justify his "invisible" reputation.
#2 is both incorrect - he has produced when guys like Matthews and Nylander are out and done great - and irrelevant, because he would not have "mediocre" support here.
#3 is probably accurate, but he's arguably worth that kind of money. Especially if we're no longer paying Laine, we'll have the room.

Seriously. Laine for Marner is what we would want. It'd depend a lot on what we'd be adding to make it happen, but presuming Mitch is willing, that'd be an ideal outcome.

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
Can't speak for others, but the first I heard of him wanting to move on was this thread. So far as I knew he was in the PAP due to frustration with on-ice performance plus personal tragedy (losing his father).

It could be he just has painful memories and thinks moving elsewhere might help move on. Who knows.
You’re probably right here Viqsi.

Still a fairly young guy, from overseas, currently in PAP.

A clean slate would go a long way for Laine, and CBJ should do well here with a deal.

Hopefully it’s for roster players and not prospects - got some solid kids coming up that need veteran leadership.

Reactions: cslebn and MrEckted

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I hope Columbus isnt expecting much in return.

Watch him go to Colorado or Carolina for a 5th and put up 30 :laugh:

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Hard for CBJ to get value out of any trade right now because of how broken his last few seasons have been. Was hoping he'd at least have a good stretch of healthy play before thinking any trades. When he's healthy his price tag is not an issue. But it's too easy for trade partner to point to the history.

Someone mentioned he's been living in Florida lately. Not sure if hanging out with Barkov or what he's doing there.

Reactions: Easternbull

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Why in the world would Toronto trade Marner for Laine? Seems like awful value, a direct loss in terms of player quality and you're not answering any of your holes. Seems like a hard pass if you're the Leafs, no matter the add from Columbus.

Reactions: JKG33

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
Someone mentioned he's been living in Florida lately. Not sure if hanging out with Barkov or what he's doing there.
Probably where his treatment is taking place.

I disagree that CBJ won’t get much here - talent like Laine is hard to come by.

This guy is hardly Galchenyuk - I see someone doing well picking Laine up. Maybe in Tampa if Stammer leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad