LeBrun: Patrik Laine wants a fresh start and trade out of Columbus

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
He sucks and is lazy, could see someone taking him if he made like $2M but that’s about it

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
He makes a ton over 2 yrs so what bad contracts coming back ?

Unless SJ says sure why not

Depends on what you mean by "bad contracts", but San Jose, Chicago, Calgary, Seattle, Utah and Montreal off the top of my head can all make it work without sending any salary back or only sending an expiring contract. Ducks too, but considering who they have on their roster you'd think they'd want someone with a more two-way game.

Cap has gone up, there are more teams that can spend.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
56 games / 56 points
55 games / 52 points
18 games / 9 points

That’s last 3 years on a horrible offensive team

If you tell me that’s bad numbers, I have nothing to discuss here
He's missed 117 games in the last 3 years and makes 8.7 million dollars. He also was just in the player assistance program.

You also left off the 45 games / 21 points in CBJ as well (I realize you did the last 3 years but this year also doesn't help).

Do I think he is a cap dump? No he's got too much talent for that. Do I think the return is going to be anything good? Also no.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
So, the Blue Jackets need centers…right? The Canes just so happen to have a 23 yr old, former 3rd overall pick on a gem of a contract…heh. That’d be a dream, Kotkaniemi’s full contract for Laine and his full deal, both teams take on big risks.

Disclaimer - dont think that would happen, but I definitely think the Canes will sniff around Laine. They’ve been linked to him in the past, the Aho connection, they definitely are in need of top 6 talent with Guentzel and Necas likely moving on and Laine could be the holy grail of all “distressed assets”.

Not sure what a deal would look like though. The Blue Jackets have been rumored to be interested in Necas, what would they add to Laine to make it worth that sort of deal to work?

KK for Laine and Columbus retains 50 percent
I’d take Laine at full value if they’d take Kotkaniemi at full value.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
He's making 8.7 million dollars. Was in the player assistance program. Hasn't played more than 56 games in a season in more than 4 years. What are we talking about here lol.
This. I'd be shocked if he were claimed off waivers.

Hey Laine, you want a fresh start? Then agree to terminate that bloated contract and you can get one

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I think he would have significant value in a trade if Columbus was willing to agree to considerable retention. Teams take the bait on players like this all the time. With only 2 years left on the contract maybe they would consider it.

At full price you're probably not looking at a very attractive market.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
He's missed 117 games in the last 3 years and makes 8.7 million dollars. He also was just in the player assistance program.

You also left off the 45 games / 21 points in CBJ as well (I realize you did the last 3 years but this year also doesn't help).

Do I think he is a cap dump? No he's got too much talent for that. Do I think the return is going to be anything good? Also no.
To be fair he had just come back from missing half the season due to an injury a few games into the season. The combination would make it hard for just about anyone in that situation.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
He’s a risk for anyone taking him on at this point. Good hockey player, but so flawed it’s not worth it unless you’re ready to gamble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad