LeBrun: Patrik Laine wants a fresh start and trade out of Columbus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
So, the Blue Jackets need centers…right? The Canes just so happen to have a 23 yr old, former 3rd overall pick on a gem of a contract…heh. That’d be a dream, Kotkaniemi’s full contract for Laine and his full deal, both teams take on big risks.

Disclaimer - dont think that would happen, but I definitely think the Canes will sniff around Laine. They’ve been linked to him in the past, the Aho connection, they definitely are in need of top 6 talent with Guentzel and Necas likely moving on and Laine could be the holy grail of all “distressed assets”.

Not sure what a deal would look like though. The Blue Jackets have been rumored to be interested in Necas, what would they add to Laine to make it worth that sort of deal to work?

I’d take Laine at full value if they’d take Kotkaniemi at full value.
It's funny, I could see a Carolina deal making some sense with Kotkaniemi. Two overpaid and overhyped players. But I can't see Waddell wanting to bail Dundon out of a shitty contract that Dundon probably forced Waddell to sign in the first place

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
This. I'd be shocked if he were claimed off waivers.

Hey Laine, you want a fresh start? Then agree to terminate that bloated contract and you can get one
Lol, this is business and that's a free asset on a 2 yr contract, every single team in the league with the available cap space would instantly put in a claim thinking they could be the team he finds his groove with. At the absolute worst they could flip him for other assets.

Reactions: Indy18

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Lol, this is business and that's a free asset on a 2 yr contract, every single team in the league with the available cap space would instantly put in a claim thinking they could be the team he finds his groove with. At the absolute worst they could flip him for other assets.

At the absolute worst you're handcuffed with $9m for two years of an absolute headcase.

He could find his groove, or he could continue to miss half the season and then the other 25% of games where he plays but is checked out.

That's a lot of cap for a big question mark

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I knew that Finland had a different language and culture but I thought people from European countries refered to them as Scandinavian anyway. But that difference between Finland and the others always fascinated me. I guess "Northern coutries" would have been the more accurate wording.

Makes ya feel better I always considered Finland as part of Scandinavia along with Denmark, Norway and Sweden

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Nevermind. Found this cool new website called Cap Friendly.

No thanks on the 2 years at 8.7 mill
Wait till I tell you what’s happening after free agency:laugh:

As for the Leafs POV, don’t really see him making too much sense. We’d have to send one of Marner or nylander back and I take either over him and idk if Columbus would want either.

• Haha
Reactions: Beerz

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Sounds like a soft deal to get this player moved along, there's upside but significant risk.

As a Canucks fan I'd be interested if Guentzel, Lindholm, or Necas doesn't happen, but again it would have to be a soft deal & prob require Mikheyev being involved.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Kotkaniemi is barely an NHLer and with 6 years left.

Laine is at minimum a top 6 winger on a short deal. Main issue is that he averages like 4 different injuries a season.

Let's not go putting these two in the same category

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
If Columbus is ready to take on some money, he would make a ton of sense for Montreal.

We have tons of cap space to spend but are probably going to be competitive only in 2 years.

If Laine works out you re-sign him and he's part of your core at 28.

If he doesn't work out you let him go and you didn't screw your window with him

He adds size to a forward group that could really use it and some much needed offensive punch.

I think he's a perfect fit, depending on the cost.

Edit: Totally missed the part where he was on the players assistance program. Yeah, that actually changes a lot of things.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Makes ya feel better I always considered Finland as part of Scandinavia along with Denmark, Norway and Sweden

Google answered this to me:
Geographically, Finland could be considered Scandinavian and at one time was a part of the Swedish Kingdom. Most Finns are Lutherans, as Scandinavians used to be. However, Finnish is not a Scandinavian language and Finns are ethnically distinct from Scandinavians.

I wonder how are they not ethnically the same though when everybody is tall and blonde?

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
At the absolute worst you're handcuffed with $9m for two years of an absolute headcase.

He could find his groove, or he could continue to miss half the season and then the other 25% of games where he plays but is checked out.

That's a lot of cap for a big question mark
He would be a free asset that would score more points than about half of every team in the NHL.

Surely there would be teams not interested, but to say NOBODY would? Utah literally has to spend 20M just to hit the cap floor, Laine could be a possible godsend for them.

But that's all irrelevant because that's not reality.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I could see Chicago. Two-year deal, expires at the same time as Bedard's ELC.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
I called this a few years back when Laine was an RFA. I thought he’d request a trade back then - good on Laine for giving CBJ his all.

I still can see him going to MTL first and foremost. Also could see him in CAR and DAL. Carolina cause they love their fins, Dallas because he seems to do well there.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Kotkaniemi is barely an NHLer and with 6 years left.

Laine is at minimum a top 6 winger on a short deal. Main issue is that he averages like 4 different injuries a season.

Let's not go putting these two in the same category
Laine's a top 6 winger when he's healthy, not in the program, and actually gives a shit. That's what.. 40% of a season? $9m is a lotta money for a player that's useful less than half the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad