Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (Laine out of PAP, trade request still stands)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I can't remember him playing more than 56 games in Columbus. And I also can't remember him playing with a center like Suzuki. But I remember well who were his centers in the 2021/22 and 2022/23 seasons, and also the defensemen in the 2022/23 season.

If you want to criticize someone, you have to look at the conditions first.
I don’t know what point you’re trying to make or what you think I meant by my post. I’m just saying 31 (Jenner) > 27 goals (Laine).

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
Wow, I actually wasn’t being sarcastic; I just think it’s genuinely funny that he’s this intense and ongoing topic here. So……I guess apologize to everyone DSL….

Some of you guys REALLY take this shit way too seriously……
At least you stand behind your words and don't try to pass it off as "just a joke". :sarcasm:

I am quite sure this thread would be quite peaceful during the offseason if it were not for the trade related reasons making him an ongoing topic on many facets.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I don’t know what point you’re trying to make or what you think I meant by my post. I’m just saying 31 (Jenner) > 27 goals (Laine).
I'm saying if you want to compare players, you've got to be on a level playing field. And Laine had a concussion this season.

Personally, I'm waiting for him to play a minimum of 70 games, that's when we'll find out more about him.

To A. Nylander. Columbus was the first team where he played well. And even that played few games.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
You need to re-adjust your thinking to understand all the explanations given to these comments.
Simply put you'll never understand and if you look to try and understand you are fighting a losing battle.

My son died by suicide.He was bipolar and at the end was battling severe depression. He finally had had enough.

My wife and I went to support groups and survivors always wanted to know why? Unless there was a note left I doubt they ever learned why. And chances are good even a note would not have explained the pain the deceased was feeling.

Quit trying to understand and consider yourself lucky that you don't have to deal with whatever pain finally push people who die by suicide over the edge.
So very sorry for your loss, no matter how long ago...
Lost my law partner/colleague via suicide 18 months ago.
Losing a child that way, no matter the age, is incomprehensible...so not comparing. Just extending whatever good thoughts I can and empathy to the extent that I have experienced a piece of what you went through (and are still going through).

Reactions: EspenK

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Wow, I actually wasn’t being sarcastic; I just think it’s genuinely funny that he’s this intense and ongoing topic here. So……I guess apologize to everyone DSL….

Some of you guys REALLY take this shit way too seriously……
Mea culpa.

I assumed you understood that Laine was not your standard six-goal player. I also figured you understood that, along with the coaching situation, he's one of very few unresolved situations with regard to the team. But it's cool. We’re all just chillin' here anyway, taking stuff as seriously as seems appropriate at any given time.

Last edited:

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
At least you stand behind your words and don't try to pass it off as "just a joke". :sarcasm:
I guess some jokes just go over people’s heads

If I didn’t know any better I’d guess that you’re Finnish and that’s why you’re so mad. Or is that spot on?

^ Thats a joke too don’t get mad.

Here is what the joke is poking fun at:

It seems that that there is always a contingent of fans (presumably Finns) that follow Laine wherever he goes. Often those fans are bigger fans of Laine than they are of the TEAM that he is on. Their paradigm is much different than fans of the team. So discussion on team related things on HFCBJ with this group is often skewed. This difference rubs ME personally the wrong way at times.

Last edited:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

If I didn’t know any better I’d guess that you’re Finnish and that’s why you’re so mad. Or is that spot on?

It seems that that there is always a contingent of fans (presumably Finns) that follow Laine wherever he goes. Often those fans are bigger fans of Laine than they are of the TEAM that he is on. Their paradigm is much different than fans of the team. So discussion on team related things on HFCBJ with this group is often skewed. This difference rubs ME personally the wrong way at times.
I am Slovak and like Laine (like Voronkov, Chinakhov and Olivier). But I am Columbus fan since 2007 years, 14 years. And you are sure that I will continue (although I will also watch Laine's and Dvorsky's games, not all of them, of course) to be.
It's just quite strange to me how many people have access to it. And I would do that with any player.

Last edited:

Boxertim

Mar 21, 2014
winnipeg
Winnipeg fan in peace….still a huge Laine fan and would love him back on the Jets, I’m sure it has been mentioned in this huge thread, but what is the asking price for Laine?

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Winnipeg fan in peace….still a huge Laine fan and would love him back on the Jets, I’m sure it has been mentioned in this huge thread, but what is the asking price for Laine?
Allegedly they're willing to eat some portion of his salary and prefer a combo of prospects and draft picks over a NHL roster player. No idea what the price would be but could Rutger Mcgroarty be involved? No idea if that's enough for the Blue Jackets or if Jets would prefer another player from another team if it meant trading Mcgroarty.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Waddell has said on numerous occasions that he wants a hockey trade if at all possible.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I think that if Patrik is going to be in the program for a while, he should accept the fact that he will start the season in Columbus minimum. Waddell isn't going to trade him for beads just because he wants to leave.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011

I actually thought it was fun and added energy when many Finns came to our board when Laine arrived. While the core of participants here are CBJ fans, I welcome those who follow a player who becomes a Jacket.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
I actually thought it was fun and added energy when many Finns came to our board when Laine arrived. While the core of participants here are CBJ fans, I welcome those who follow a player who becomes a Jacket.
Thats fine and dandy. I just don’t agree with Laine’s individual success being seen as more important than the team, and often if you read between the lines that is the case.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Thats fine and dandy. I just don’t agree with Laine’s individual success being seen as more important than the team, and often if you read between the lines that is the case.
I agree that the inability or unwillingness (even if understandable) to see things as a fan of the team has made for some unnecessarily contentious conversations here.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
I think that if Patrik is going to be in the program for a while, he should accept the fact that he will start the season in Columbus minimum. Waddell isn't going to trade him for beads just because he wants to leave.
sure, but i think there's a false assumption here that patrik laine is the one keeping patrik laine in the program. he can't just choose to leave the program, the program has to decide that.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
sure, but i think there's a false assumption here that patrik laine is the one keeping patrik laine in the program. he can't just choose to leave the program, the program has to decide that.
I know it. But it does not mean nothing.
Btw, how is it? Does the player have to request a medical examination or is it up to the doctors to decide when the examination will take place?

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I know it. But it does not mean nothing.
Btw, how is it? Does the player have to request a medical examination or is it up to the doctors to decide when the examination will take place?
More than likely doctors speaking with him and depending on how those conversations go, the doctors will evaluate him and decide if they think he's ready to leave the program.

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
We don’t have to trade him…

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
You've been away from the game you love for a while. Your feeling better physically and mentally. You have a new GM telling you the direction he wants to take the organization and you have a new coach who is hopefully telling you his plans for the team and that he wants to use you like you'd hoped you would have been all along.

There's every possibility he has to stay and will be excited to do so.

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
You've been away from the game you love for a while. Your feeling better physically and mentally. You have a new GM telling you the direction he wants to take the organization and you have a new coach who is hopefully telling you his plans for the team and that he wants to use you like you'd hoped you would have been all along.

There's every possibility he has to stay and will be excited to do so.
Also returns to 40-50 goal scorer for the CBJ. I think this would be the best case scenario on how you look at it.

I know there are some fans that don’t care to give it another go with Laine and I understand, but gifted goal scorer’s don’t grow on trees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad