Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (Laine out of PAP, trade request still stands)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Well this response is exactly why it's a topic that continues to need to be talked about. Telling someone with a mental illness to be mentally stronger is like telling someone with a physical illness to just get physically stronger. Or maybe the sticking point is you not acknowledging that contemplating suicide is a mental illness.
The easiest way I've found to describe it is that it's like the thinking equivalent of an autoimmune disease - your brain just tries to sabotage you, and it's got the high ground. There are some disciplines for preventing flareups from happening, and handling them when they do come up regardless - akin to pacing yourself during exercise, and knowing when your body is telling you to take a break - but it's not something that truly goes away, and there are activities and things that can exacerbate that condition. Managing it is an active skill, and sometimes it's so severe that management by itself is not enough. (Thankfully, I've not gotten that far myself, so far. Came pretty horrifyingly close once, though.)

Indeed, if y'all have ever wondered why I've picked up that Positivity Police/Sunshine Brigade reputation around here... it's a side effect of one of those deliberate mechanisms I lean on hard to keep myself alive. "Despair and depression are easy; they're the default condition. It takes hard work, dilligence, and dedication to be positive."

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
Laine gone yet?
“No”
Closes thread.

Thank you once again for your non-contribution to this thread. We get that you have a hateboner for the guy, so no need to post your fleeting thoughts as there seem to be no substance to them in this thread when compared to your other thought filled posts on this forum.

While this has been an unexpected and fascinating discussion on a topic that needs more light shed on it...

I'll bring this back to Laine and say that Kuznetsov is now off the books in Carolina so the cap room to fit Laine in is more feasible going forward.

Seems like a no brainer, Canes powerplay has been abysmal and there is known chemistry between Laine and Aho, so in my eyes it all comes down to if Canes are willing to pay the price.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Thank you once again for your non-contribution to this thread. We get that you have a hateboner for the guy, so no need to post your fleeting thoughts as there seem to be no substance to them in this thread when compared to your other thought filled posts on this forum.

Seems like a no brainer, Canes powerplay has been abysmal and there is known chemistry between Laine and Aho, so in my eyes it all comes down to if Canes are willing to pay the price.
But the Svechnikov - Aho - Jarvis line played excellent.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Ok, and do they even think when they offer such trades? And what about Stamkos, who is dependent on the PP?

I just noticed this proposal, and HOLY SHIT. I'm inclined to agree with the Preds commentator on that one - they were doing okay until they tossed in Askarov like he's just a bonus throw-in. Yeah, Trotz has looked into moving him... him and a 1st for Fantilli, anyways.

CannonFire1

Jun 22, 2023
The only statistics you can trust are those you falsified yourself. Winston Churchill 😎
This is particularly true with suicide. Many times unless there is a note the authorities don't know for sure. If the family doesn't want to accept that a loved one took their own life, or if they fear being stigmatized, they may create a different narrative (such as accidental overdose). Suicide rates in the US have climbed at an alarming rate over the last decade, yet they almost certainly remain under-reported.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Another Laine fan boy triggered for no reason. You make too many assumptions. Can’t take a joke.

This thread is supposed to be about Laine, and when I come to read it, there is little to no substance and much of the discussion is off topic.

*New post*
Laine gone yet?
“No”
Closes thread, again.

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
Another Laine fan boy triggered for no reason. You make too many assumptions. Can’t take a joke.

This thread is supposed to be about Laine, and when I come to read it, there is little to no substance and much of the discussion is off topic.

*New post*
Laine gone yet?
“No”
Closes thread, again.
A lot of substance to a topic largely relevant to Laine.

"Cant take a joke" is the lamest defense ever.

Regarding those Preds rumours, in my opinion Askarov is overrated but I agree that tossing him like a throw in that deal would be insane.

Last edited:

Cujorulesdtown9

More Blue Pants
Sep 9, 2007
Michigan
As someone that had a pretty bad breakdown a few years ago from not taking care of my mental health by trying to "tough it out" for 15 years, mental health is beyond important. Cant be overstated enough how much that we hope that Laine gets to a good place in life, in himself, and back on the ice, wherever it is.

As much as the cbj fan in me kind of wants this chapter over, thats just not how any of it works. That fan impatience is always going to be there.

The Four Seven

Rest in Peace Johnny and Matthew
Feb 3, 2009
Central Ohio
When the mods have deemed the discussion off-topic, then maybe they'll do something about it. Not being a mod, it isn't your call to make. You can bitch about it all you want, but said bitching would be off-topic.

• Haha
Reactions: Cowumbus

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
A lot of substance to a topic largely relevant to Laine.
I am looking for hockey content.
"Cant take a joke" is the lamest defense ever.
Defense of what? Nothing will happen with Laine until he’s out of the program. When is that? Who knows, but this is the thread that would contain that information. This thread is constantly being bumped, but not with updates on Laine - or if it is you’ll have to search for it.

The joke is you come to this thread for Laine updates (Laine traded/out of the program, etc) but instead are met with posts on how growing up in social Czechia impacts your willpower on suicide. Yeah I don’t need/care to see that, closes thread. Same scenario on the other CBJ thread with people making fun of Portzline.
Regarding those Preds rumours, in my opinion Askarov is overrated but I agree that tossing him like a throw in that deal would be insane.
Askarov for Laine rumors?
When the mods have deemed the discussion off-topic, then maybe they'll do something about it. Not being a mod, it isn't your call to make. You can bitch about it all you want, but said bitching would be off-topic.
Are you a brain surgeon?
Thats why I said if you are looking to have actual updates on Laine just close the thread.

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
There was a link and a few posts chatting about it. You must not have looked hard enough for hockey content. Understandable though, in your righteous disgust over the discussion of mental health.

Yes of course I’m just hassling you. I get what you’re saying and th is conversation being had in the meantime isn’t for everyone. I’m impatient for resolution of the Laine matter as well.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I am looking for hockey content.

Defense of what? Nothing will happen with Laine until he’s out of the program. When is that? Who knows, but this is the thread that would contain that information. This thread is constantly being bumped, but not with updates on Laine - or if it is you’ll have to search for it.

The joke is you come to this thread for Laine updates (Laine traded/out of the program, etc) but instead are met with posts on how growing up in social Czechia impacts your willpower on suicide. Yeah I don’t need/care to see that, closes thread. Same scenario on the other CBJ thread with people making fun of Portzline.

Are you a brain surgeon?
Thats why I said if you are looking to have actual updates on Laine just close the thread.
When you criticize something, at least read it properly. They say it helps. 😎
For the rest, I respect you opinion this a thread should be about hockey.

Last edited:

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I can't think of too many threads on all of hf where discussion of mental health is more on-topic than a Patrik Laine thread, since it is currently the very core of the Laine topic itself. He's in the Players' Assistance Program for mental health issues. He has been outspoken on the topic even before the PAP, which is refreshing in the hockey world where the culture is too often "shut up and suffer in silence, be a man." If you want soundbites and news with no commentary or analysis or discussion at all, follow the team twitter account, not a message board full of humans trying to connect.

This was also perfectly on topic as it is in response to a heartfelt and Laine-centric article being posted. If one is to be so quick-tempered to get mad and whine because other users are sharing their own struggles in context, take a breath and scroll back a bit to see why folks are doing this in the first place. The post is #3174 in this very thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
There was a link and a few posts chatting about it. You must not have looked hard enough for hockey content. Understandable though, in your righteous disgust over the discussion of mental health.
wtf :laugh:
Yes of course I’m just hassling you. I get what you’re saying and th is conversation being had in the meantime isn’t for everyone. I’m impatient for resolution of the Laine matter as well.
I just came here to see CBJ hockey related information - that’s it. Not that deep. Talk about mental health all you want, just give me a heads up when there is an update on Laine w.r.t. his standing with CBJ.
I can't think of too many threads on all of hf where discussion of mental health is more on-topic than a Patrik Laine thread, since it is currently the very core of the Laine topic itself. He's in the Players' Assistance Program for mental health issues. He has been outspoken on the topic even before the PAP, which is refreshing in the hockey world where the culture is too often "shut up and suffer in silence, be a man." If you want soundbites and news with no commentary or analysis or discussion at all, follow the team twitter account, not a message board full of humans trying to connect.
Thats not want I want, which is why I came here.
This was also perfectly on topic as it is in response to a heartfelt and Laine-centric article being posted. If one is to be so quick-tempered to get mad and whine because other users are sharing their own struggles in context, take a breath and scroll back a bit to see why folks are doing this in the first place. The post is #3174 in this very thread.
It’s crazy the mental gymnastics people are doing to equate my sentiment of seeing the thread update daily and saying “there is no Laine CBJ news in here, I’m gonna close the thread” to “you hate people talking about mental health, and hate Laine”

This started a pissing war:
Laine gone yet?
“No”
Closes thread.

wtf guys lmao

Last edited:
Reactions: puckgoalnet

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
I know when I go to the grocery store and they’re all out of apples, I like to announce to everyone that I came for apples and there wasn’t any, call me when there is, rather than just leaving.
More like going to a grocery store for apples with a sign that says “apples inside” and going inside then saying “any apples? No? Okay I’m leaving. Let me know when you hear anything about the apples”
***in a joking manner mind you**
then everyone in the store saying “wow you hate plant seeds and are a worse person than I am because I enjoy talking about plant seeds in the apple store”

Insert 5 random people posting about how you “hate” plant seeds despite not having ever said anything negative about the seeds.

Keep in mind the whole time you were trying to make a joke about how busy the Apple Store is despite not having any apples, but lots of plant seed talks.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
More like going to a grocery store for apples with a sign that says “apples inside” and going inside then saying “any apples? No? Okay I’m leaving. Let me know when you hear anything about the apples”
***in a joking manner mind you**
then everyone in the store saying “wow you hate plant seeds and are a worse person than I am because I enjoy talking about plant seeds in the apple store”

Insert 5 random people posting about how you “hate” plant seeds despite not having ever said anything negative about the seeds.

Keep in mind the whole time you were trying to make a joke about how busy the Apple Store is despite not having any apples, but lots of plant seed talks.
You came in here looking to stir things up, and you got it.

As far as I know, there’s no Laine news imminent. So what’re we doing here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium