Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (CBJ, Laine agree to seek trade)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
But communication with his agent and personally are two different things.
Of course, but you can still ask his reps questions and they can talk to him.

If him leaving the program is just a formality at this point as some have suggested it's really not that big of a deal imo.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Laine play some games for CBJ still, maybe even until the TDL. Just depends if there are possibilities for a trade which would make everyone happy.

Don't wanna speculate too much, but while I don't think the trade request came out of nowhere, the circumstances it was made under makes me think there's at least a strong possibility it was a bit of a panic move after which he realized he really needs a breather and entered the program. This based solely on a personal experience where I ended up quitting a job when I was getting too close to burning out due to very stressful life circumstances. I actually would've had the benefit of a good employee medical program but I was not thinking clearly at the time, I just pressed the big red panic button.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Laine play some games for CBJ still, maybe even until the TDL. Just depends if there are possibilities for a trade which would make everyone happy.

Don't wanna speculate too much, but while I don't think the trade request came out of nowhere, the circumstances it was made under makes me think there's at least a strong possibility it was a bit of a panic move after which he realized he really needs a breather and entered the program. This based solely on a personal experience where I ended up quitting a job when I was getting too close to burning out due to very stressful life circumstances. I actually would've had the benefit of a good employee medical program but I was not thinking clearly at the time, I just pressed the big red panic button.
This is actually a reasonable assessment given the timeline and the little we know publicly.

But D-Wad has spoken in terms of moving the player almost exclusively.

Reactions: Ice9

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
A little tidbit from the Wild beat writer I picked up after reading about their Buium highway robbery:

Guerin had a busy day Friday as he met with defenseman Brock Faber’s agents to begin initial contract talks toward a potential lucrative extension this offseason. He indicated that he’s been involved in trade talks, as well. The Wild have shown interest in Columbus Blue Jackets winger Patrik Laine if half of his $8.7 million cap hit is retained for the next two years.

LInk

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Bruins give up a lot to have him at $4,350,000 - $5,000,000. Desperately need secondary scoring.
I don't think Columbus wants to go that route but a 50% Laine would have a return that would make most people on social media turn heads...especially if its July 14th and everyone of value is gone. Someone could get REAL desperate at that point for more scoring.

Reactions: Coach Parker

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
D-Wad?!!...what have you started?!!!!
I hope that there's no Richard in that family. He's going to have a rough life if so.

A little tidbit from the Wild beat writer I picked up after reading about their Buium highway robbery:

LInk
What would Columbus even be interested in from Minnesota? Spurgeon? Rossi? I don't know if the Wild are the best trading partners, but who knows...

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
What would Columbus even be interested in from Minnesota? Spurgeon? Rossi? I don't know if the Wild are the best trading partners, but who knows...
Other teams envision it like this: maintain the maximum allowable salary, the 7th round pick in the 3000 draft, a 10th winger of an ECHL team, and possibly a contract they are desperate to get rid of. And, at least according to them, the flying saucer hit Don Don, he agrees and still adds the 1st round and the team will lose because of them so that a 1st round pick would be in the top 3. :cool:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I don't think Columbus wants to go that route but a 50% Laine would have a return that would make most people on social media turn heads...especially if its July 14th and everyone of value is gone. Someone could get REAL desperate at that point for more scoring.
I'm the biggest advocate on the Bruins board that the Bruins system, culture, leadership and position at DeBrusk's departure is the PERFECT place for Laine to end up. Boston has pieces to move and cap space that would certainly make them good trading partners.

In the end, I would rather gamble on a fresh-start Laine in Boston on a two-year contract playing with Lindholm and Pastrnak over any UFA on the market.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad