Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (CBJ, Laine agree to seek trade)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think many of us overrated our young guys. Btw, young... Marchenko is only two years younger, in his age Laine played more better here without such good offensive d-men and not better partners, Voronkov too, Chinakhov three years younger. Not fact Johnson will be so good. I do not trade them, especially Voronkov, but be realistic.

Without a doubt, Laine at his best is better than any of them. But our club will benefit from not having to deal with Laine when he is at his worst. Consistency and structure would be nice.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Without a doubt, Laine at his best is better than any of them. But our club will benefit from not having to deal with Laine when he is at his worst. Consistency and structure would be nice.
Ok wine can return only health. Do not think we had problems. That's why I hope he changed his mind after Waddell appointment.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
On Thursday, the NHL clarified to The Athletic how the players’ assistance program works in the offseason. In order to be cleared to return to active status, Laine must be cleared by doctors within the program, and they interact with players and can clear them both during the season and offseason.

But, the NHL only announces that a player has been cleared based on his availability to practice or play, so it doesn’t make any announcements in the offseason. Theoretically, Laine may have already been cleared, even though no announcement has been made.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Hes a point per game player and a former 40 goal scorer. Someone will in fact get stupid.
Also Florida is going to sweep the cup. Some big brained FO out there is going to act like the next florida and try their hand at reclaimation projects like Florida did the past few years. All it takes is one person which is why I keep getting amused at all these Laine at 50% retention for my cap dump player at 7 years remaining in their contract, my prospect who is about to bomb out, a 7th round pick and a $2 off coupon at Subway proposals..

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Also Florida is going to sweep the cup. Some big brained FO out there is going to act like the next florida and try their hand at reclaimation projects like Florida did the past few years. All it takes is one person which is why I keep getting amused at all these Laine at 50% retention for my cap dump player at 7 years remaining in their contract, my prospect who is about to bomb out, a 7th round pick and a $2 off coupon at Subway proposals..

It could as well be Florida. Not that they have a lot of trade chips available that I'd see Jackets being high on, but they have some cap opening up with all the UFA's etc and obviously Barkov would be happy. Will be interesting to see what happens. Maybe Laine talks to Waddell and hears what he likes and doesn't want to get traded. Who knows at this point.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
It could as well be Florida. Not that they have a lot of trade chips available that I'd see Jackets being high on, but they have some cap opening up with all the UFA's etc and obviously Barkov would be happy. Will be interesting to see what happens. Maybe Laine talks to Waddell and hears what he likes and doesn't want to get traded. Who knows at this point.
Unless the Panthers want to turn into the Marlins and purge most of their talent and money spent after winning championships I don't know why Laine would be a smart acquisition for them.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Unless the Panthers want to turn into the Marlins and purge most of their talent and money spent after winning championships I don't know why Laine would be a smart acquisition for them.

He could be a potential replacement for Reinhart (production wise, not sure about filling the same role) if they’re not willing to go above 8.75M AAV with him on a long term deal

Reactions: Marioesque

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Florida makes sense as a Reinhart replacement, and Barkov might push for it.

But it maybe doesn't make sense in terms of how we would structure a trade. Florida doesn't have trade assets. And contrary to the early thinking on this, there are going to be a lot of clubs interested after July 1st, some will have actual assets to offer.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Florida makes sense as a Reinhart replacement, and Barkov might push for it.

But it maybe doesn't make sense in terms of how we would structure a trade. Florida doesn't have trade assets. And contrary to the early thinking on this, there are going to be a lot of clubs interested after July 1st, some will have actual assets to offer.

I'd consider a deal around Laine and Reinhart via sign and trade :nod:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Reinhart in Buffalo:

Lumii_20240615_222952340.jpg

Worse stats than Laine (PPG) with better players.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Not actually worth a post but I'll still do it just for the tinfoil hats, in case something happens later

Social media tells us that Laine is on vacation in Chicago.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Reinhart in Buffalo:

View attachment 883121
Worse stats than Laine (PPG) with better players.

That's the Barkov effect.

Imagine what a better player especially offensively could do with Barkov. He makes Reinhart and Verhaeghe, or Duclair or Huberdeau into a league leader.

What Barkov could do with his best friend and best scoring talent in the league.....future knows, I hope.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
What Barkov could do with his best friend and best scoring talent in the league.....future knows, I hope.

The issue is, what do they trade for him?

It feels natural in this situation for the Panthers to pay up for retention on Laine but they have very few futures assets or players they can move. And I think even without retention there will be a hungry market for Laine after July 1st, teams will at least pay us something.

Reactions: Marioesque

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021

It feels natural in this situation for the Panthers to pay up for retention on Laine but they have very few futures assets or players they can move. And I think even without retention there will be a hungry market for Laine after July 1st, teams will at least pay us something.

Yeah they really don't have much to offer. Evan Rodrigues and 1st, 2nd? Does that do it? Probably not considering the picks are late round

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022

If they want to keep Montour I guess they could offer Ekblad. I would guess Columbus is on his M-NTC, though.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If they want to keep Montour I guess they could offer Ekblad. I would guess Columbus is on his M-NTC, though.

That actually makes sense. Hmmm..

Panthers fans are divided about keeping Ekblad. He's good but maybe not $7.5m good?? (I don't know his game well enough to comment).

One issue is that he likely doesn't waive to come here unless we are offering a big long term extension. So we really have to like the player. But maybe he'd be great #2D for Werenski? I don't know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad