Confirmed with Link: Patrik Laine and 2026 2nd round pick acquired from the Blue Jackets in exchange for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Defencemen and goaltenders exist too. I personally would like to get or retain ones that can help them win a cup. Not trying to be the Toronto Maple Leafs over here.
Maple leafs are a bad exemple that how a team should be build. Marner, matthews, tavares numbers aav been inflated since day 1. And they had cap flat era. So they were in trouble

Jul 6, 2016
Wow enfin, le dieu du hockey pascal vincent nous dit la vérité, sérieux tout le quebec attendait que Mr Vincent parle , très important comme opinion , on peux dormir tranquil maintenant qu'on sais ce que le genie de hockey quebecois pascal vincent pense , merci.

Je vais vraiment mieux dormir maintenant merci Mr Vincent , Merci BPM spannnre
Bien sûr, tu connais beaucoup mieux Laine que Vincent peut le connaitre:sarcasm:

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Anyone hear Aaron Portzline the CBJ beat reporter talk about how he doesn’t think Laine will change his ways? Some other interesting tidbits in this interview like how his teammates asked management to trade him

Laine's got baggage, no doubt. There's a reason we got him AND A 2ND for Jordan Harris.

But if he puts it together, it's a hell of a gamble. Even a 60 point Laine is a better option than any player we have internally to play in the top 6.

Some people are really, really going ham in here talking about 40+ goals or 80-90 points, which if it happened would be mind blowing. But I'm going to prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and I don't think 'the worst' is that bad either.

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
Wow enfin, le dieu du hockey pascal vincent nous dit la vérité, sérieux tout le quebec attendait que Mr Vincent parle , très important comme opinion , on peux dormir tranquil maintenant qu'on sais ce que le genie de hockey quebecois pascal vincent pense , merci.

Je vais vraiment mieux dormir maintenant merci Mr Vincent , Merci BPM spannnre
Binevenue

Laine's got baggage, no doubt. There's a reason we got him AND A 2ND for Jordan Harris.

But if he puts it together, it's a hell of a gamble. Even a 60 point Laine is a better option than any player we have internally to play in the top 6.

Some people are really, really going ham in here talking about 40+ goals or 80-90 points, which if it happened would be mind blowing. But I'm going to prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and I don't think 'the worst' is that bad either.
I’m just wondering what his baggage actually is. We know he was bullied in Winnipeg. We know he was addicted to Fortnite. We know his dad died. We know his teammates in CBJ asked for him to get traded and we know he went into the players assistance program. We know there’s a problem but until now no one has actually explained what that is.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Was Caufield particularly good on PP1 last season.
Personally I didn't think so he was a target and plays broke down on his side more than anywhere else.
We have so many options there is absolutely no reason to stick with the stuff that didn't work.
Our numbers tell us it didn't work...
It's in our best interest to make every effort to allow him to succeed in a role that should be his bread and butter, or face the fact that we have signed a non-core player to a 7,85 million contract until 2031.

Personally, I think Caufield will be fine. I find the rough treatment he's getting around here odd.

Reactions: Redux91

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Binevenue

I’m just wondering what his baggage actually is. We know he was bullied in Winnipeg. We know he was addicted to Fortnite. We know his dad died. We know his teammates in CBJ asked for him to get traded and we know he went into the players assistance program. We know there’s a problem but until now no one has actually explained what that is.
I honestly think he hasn’t really been in a place where he’s happy to play hockey. Like you mentioned about Winnipeg, not only is not considered not a great spot but he wasn’t treated well. Then he gets traded to Columbus which, again, isn’t exactly a premiere destination and has to deal with Torts as his coach. PLD wanted out of there too so who knows what the dynamics were in the room also.

I’m not saying Montreal is the best spot to play or he’ll have a way better time here, but the fact that he’s coming out of therapy and seems to be doing well mentally, I hope that’s a good sign. Plus all we hear about is how tight the room is, so hopefully he fits in nice.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
It's in our best interest to make every effort to allow him to succeed in a role that should be his bread and butter, or face the fact that we have signed a non-core player to a 7,85 million contract until 2031.

Personally, I think Caufield will be fine. I find the rough treatment he's getting around here odd.
Compared to Matheson, Caufield is receiving kidd glove treatment.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I honestly think he hasn’t really been in a place where he’s happy to play hockey. Like you mentioned about Winnipeg, not only is not considered not a great spot but he wasn’t treated well. Then he gets traded to Columbus which, again, isn’t exactly a premiere destination and has to deal with Torts as his coach. PLD wanted out of there too so who knows what the dynamics were in the room also.

I’m not saying Montreal is the best spot to play or he’ll have a way better time here, but the fact that he’s coming out of therapy and seems to be doing well mentally, I hope that’s a good sign. Plus all we hear about is how tight the room is, so hopefully he fits in nice.
A laid back guy who doesn't drink and would rather play video games then go partying with the boys is no doubt going to rub the old school people the wrong way. But it says more about those people then it does Laine.

Given how young our core group is, how guys are super excited to play with him, how we already have a fairly laid back captain as the team's leader, and a coach who would rather talk things through then yell and I would expect Laine fits in and is easily accepted even if things aren't all sunshine and roses.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Compared to Matheson, Caufield is receiving kidd glove treatment.
Veterans don't get the shiny new toy treatment that rookies and prospects do. David Savard was probably one of our steadiest players last year but isn't burning up the pages of HF. Matheson can dazzle you on one play and leave you scratching your head on the next one. He is a great skater who put up career numbers last year and faced tough opposition. He gets criticized for his defensive mistakes more than anything. Caufield has a big new contract and will be scrutinized because of it, par for the course.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada

The best part of Laine....even at the 60 point plateau, is he immediately makes us a two line team. Everyone will improve just a little, with a guy like this taking a smidgeon of pressure off of them.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Veterans don't get the shiny new toy treatment that rookies and prospects do. David Savard was probably one of our steadiest players last year but isn't burning up the pages of HF. Matheson can dazzle you on one play and leave you scratching your head on the next one. He is a great skater who put up career numbers last year and faced tough opposition. He gets criticized for his defensive mistakes more than anything. Caufield has a big new contract and will be scrutinized because of it, par for the course.
Offensive players will always make some turnovers or mistakes, Caufield will have some, Laine, Hutson too. Especially Demidov when he'll get here.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
A laid back guy who doesn't drink and would rather play video games then go partying with the boys is no doubt going to rub the old school people the wrong way. But it says more about those people then it does Laine.

Given how young our core group is, how guys are super excited to play with him, how we already have a fairly laid back captain as the team's leader, and a coach who would rather talk things through then yell and I would expect Laine fits in and is easily accepted even if things aren't all sunshine and roses.
Great post. I remember hearing similar things about Dougie Hamilton and how his teammates thought it was weird he wanted to go to museums on his off-days. Not every guy is going to be Post Malone living it up at the bar after every game.

I think we're the perfect team to take him on, which is why I'm glad we did. If he goes belly up here similar to his other situations, it may just be the way it is. But I don't see it.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Don’t disagree but we won’t be able to sign all the top 6 at 7m + so we will need to make choices and Laine is the one I would sacrifice.

If he scores 40 goals and + and becomes our best goal scorer, then it will be an other conversation but he will cost at least 9m and +
That would be a nice problem to have eh................we have not known a problem like that since Damphousse.......stay tuned, I get the feeling Laine is having a good season...

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Maple leafs are a bad exemple that how a team should be build. Marner, matthews, tavares numbers aav been inflated since day 1. And they had cap flat era. So they were in trouble

They're also the only somewhat competitive team that even tried to be that forward heavy in allocating cap except for the Penguins, who had generational talent down the middle in their prime.

I'll note that I'm not against re-signing Laine even if he's a 60ish point forward (depending on AAV and/or he can smooth out the rest of his game), but you have to be mindful of the overall team balance.

Reactions: Hins77

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Obviously the big contracts tied their hands a bit, but let's not forget they spent a sizeable chunk of money on defence and goalies that just did not deliver.

Look at 21-22 for them, Muzzin @4m, Brodie @5m Mrzaek @3.8, Giordano @6.8 (TDL acquisition). Injuries obviously played a big part but that's a huge portion of the cap that was spent for what was essentially depth at best players.

It's easy to blame the big 4, but when your spending over 6m on Murray to be your backup then it's hard to say that they were the reason Toronto couldn't address the goaltending/D issues.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The one really bad year Laine had coincides with him abruptly losing his dad. At 22 year old losing his dad without warning was something most of us couldn't handle.
I was 38 and lost my mom............terrible. At 38 I had two young children to raise, and full time work so it was easier with those distractions to recover so to speak...............
Laine lost his biggest fan.............at 22 No way you don't have mental health issues from that.

He is lucky now, the team will support him, and thinking he just got engaged so she will be a huge help in his regaining his mojo..........literally.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
At its essence, professional sport is entertainment. Without Matheson’s ‘dazzle’ this team would be much more unwatchable. Until we become legitimate contenders, i’ll take dazzle over steady any time. The fact is, Matheson’s level of dazzle will help the Canadiens become contenders before any other defenceman we could acquire at his comparable salary. Above all, both Hughes and MSL recognize Matheson’s value to the team and couldn’t care a whit if some fans are puzzled by his occasional gaffs. He can’t be replaced.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
At its essence, professional sport is entertainment. Without Matheson’s ‘dazzle’ this team would be much more unwatchable. Until we become legitimate contenders, i’ll take dazzle over steady any time. The fact is, Matheson’s level of dazzle will help the Canadiens become contenders before any other defenceman we could acquire at his comparable salary. Above all, both Hughes and MSL recognize Matheson’s value to the team and couldn’t care a whit if some fans are puzzled by his occasional gaffs. He can’t be replaced.
I was merely pointing out why he gets criticized by fans on a message board and we aren't always right, well, most of us aren't.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I was curious and found the clip (he does mention it's only hearsay).

- YouTube [1:37:11]

Also some of the players that asked for him to be traded (Jones, Werenski) were QAnon believers, I wouldn't be shocked that the excentric Euro guy that doesn't drink didn't gel in that locker room (or the WPG one with faith leader Scheifele).

Unfortunately hearsay becomes QAnon level truth on these boards in short order.

Is this true about Jones and Werenski? Do they actually subscribe to such idiocy?

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: DAChampion

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Matheson dazzles in all three zones far more than he screws up and is unfairly maligned by people who only understand the game at the lowest level. I think he is only a PP2 point man and benefited from a lack of competition but he is still a very good player and an extremely valuable asset.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I rather pay my top 6 the money they need then overpay on the bottom 6. Give me anybody on the fourth line at 800k and im gonna be allright with it. As exemple, Jake Evans will probably ask for a raise. I rather let him go, thans giving 2,5 on a 4th liner.
I agree with the overall point but I would point out when Evans signed his deal he was coming off 29 points in 72 games in essentially his 2nd season in the league. So there was a legitimate belief that he could be that 35-40 point 3rd line center who is a defensive ace. He hasn't fulfilled that promise so probably doesn't get a raise even as a UFA.

A team should probably have one "luxury" 4th liner in that 1.5-2m range, whether Evans is right guy for that role is debatable of course. I know most would probably want that luxury money spent on a guy who is a physical force but it's not a bad idea to spend it on a guy you can just bury with defensive zone starts and PK time as a way to free up better minutes for your top lines.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Nothing odd about the caufield treatment. The new toy isn't new anymore.

Laine is the new toy for now.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Matheson dazzles in all three zones far more than he screws up and is unfairly maligned by people who only understand the game at the lowest level. I think he is only a PP2 point man and benefited from a lack of competition but he is still a very good player and an extremely valuable asset.

That will be an interesting development for me. If hutson makes the team, I suspect there will be alot of howls to get him on pp1. But as we typically see, the veteran usually isn't supplanted very easily. I feel like matheson may have to play his way off the top unit despite how loud the footsteps behind him might become.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
That will be an interesting development for me. If hutson makes the team, I suspect there will be alot of howls to get him on pp1. But as we typically see, the veteran usually isn't supplanted very easily. I feel like matheson may have to play his way off the top unit despite how loud the footsteps behind him might become.

We have enough talent to have two strong units as Dach, Laine and Hutson were not part of last seasons top unit that showed potential at the end of the season and can head up a potent 2nd unit.

1a pp unit

Caufield, Suzuki, Newhook, Slafkovsky and Matheson

1b pp unit

Laine, Dach Roy, Dvorak and Hutson

It is best to keep the first line of Caufield, Suzuki and Slaf together as their rest periods will be synchronized as well as Laine and Dach who are likely linemates imo. Dvorak was very good in the bumper in Arizona but Armia or Gallagher could easily supplant him on the 2nd unit.

If Newhook ends up with Laine and Dach on the second line then I move him to the 2nd PP unit and promote one of Roy, Dvorak, Armia or Gallagher to the first unit.

Hutson and Matheson can play on either unit or perhaps they play together on the same unit and Guhle/Xhekaj/Barron play on the second unit bumping one of Armia/Dvorak or Gallagher out of the PP conversation.

It is just exciting to have so many great combinations and options that cover two units.

Last edited:

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
I was 38 and lost my mom............terrible. At 38 I had two young children to raise, and full time work so it was easier with those distractions to recover so to speak...............
Laine lost his biggest fan.............at 22 No way you don't have mental health issues from that.

He is lucky now, the team will support him, and thinking he just got engaged so she will be a huge help in his regaining his mojo..........literally.
Lost my dad to at 30.
Hard to deal with

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad