Confirmed with Link: Patrik Laine and 2026 2nd round pick acquired from the Blue Jackets in exchange for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
We have enough talent to have two strong units as Dach, Laine and Hutson were not part of last seasons top unit that showed potential at the end of the season and can head up a potent 2nd unit.

1a pp unit

Caufield, Suzuki, Newhook, Slafkovsky and Matheson

1b pp unit

Laine, Dach Roy, Dvorak and Hutson

It is best to keep the first line of Caufield, Suzuki and Slaf together as their rest periods will be synchronized as well as Laine and Dach who are likely linemates imo. Dvorak was very good in the bumper in Arizona but Armia or Gallagher could easily supplant him on the 2nd unit.

If Newhook ends up with Laine and Dach on the second line then I move him to the 2nd PP unit and promote one of Roy, Dvorak, Armia or Gallagher to the first unit.

Hutson and Matheson can play on either unit or perhaps they play together on the same unit and Guhle/Xhekaj/Barron play on the second unit bumping one of Armia/Dvorak or Gallagher out of the PP conversation.

It is just exciting to have so many great combinations and options that cover two units.
All else being equal I prefer the 2nd PP unit to have 2 D, and when it's a choice between Dvorak/Armia/Gallagher/Anderson or a D like Xhekaj or Guhle then it's no contest, go with the 2 D.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
They might, but they will start off with the incumbents. Most teams operate this way.

I will be shocked if Laine doesn't start on pp1. If pp1 was great last season then maybe, but it was awful. They finished bottom 6, and from late January onward, they had the 2nd worst pp in the league.

Marty is also not going to want to start his relationship with Laine by pissing him off.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
You can really feel the inferiority complex from sens fans despite them winning the last 9 against us.
It's middle child syndrome. They aren't even the main NHL team in their own market considering the number of Habs (myself included) and Leafs fans in Ottawa.

It's honestly so cool to go to a Habs game in Ottawa and see the huge number of Habs fans there

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
All else being equal I prefer the 2nd PP unit to have 2 D, and when it's a choice between Dvorak/Armia/Gallagher/Anderson or a D like Xhekaj or Guhle then it's no contest, go with the 2 D.

If we are running a 1-3-1 or an umbrella having a second dman is of no advatage but if they are going to run a traditional pp then 2 dmen are preferable. Under Burrows last season it was strictly 1-3-1 setups as is also my preference but we will have to wait and see what they have in mind this season.

Reactions: Runner77

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
If we are running a 1-3-1 or an umbrella having a second dman is of no advatage but if they are going to run a traditional pp then 2 dmen are preferable. Under Burrows last season it was strictly 1-3-1 setups as is also my preference but we will have to wait and see what they have in mind this season.
Not strictly true, Colorado ran a 1-3-1 with 3D (Makar, Toews, Byram) for a bit a couple years back. The advantage of the 2nd D isn't strictly that they play the point while setup in the offensive zone, it's that we don't get caught out with only 1 D. So having Xhekaj play say the Right Wall where he can one time the puck is fine when setup in the zone, but then once the PP ends he can drift back to point for 5 on 5 play.

And anyways the main advantage in our case like with Colorado is skill, Xhekaj, Guhle, Barron, they all just bring more skill then whoever that F would be.

Reactions: Rapala

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
I honestly think he hasn’t really been in a place where he’s happy to play hockey. Like you mentioned about Winnipeg, not only is not considered not a great spot but he wasn’t treated well. Then he gets traded to Columbus which, again, isn’t exactly a premiere destination and has to deal with Torts as his coach. PLD wanted out of there too so who knows what the dynamics were in the room also.

I’m not saying Montreal is the best spot to play or he’ll have a way better time here, but the fact that he’s coming out of therapy and seems to be doing well mentally, I hope that’s a good sign. Plus all we hear about is how tight the room is, so hopefully he fits in nice.
But there clearly something about his personality that riles up his teammates to either bully him like in Winnipeg or believe he’s toxic and want management to trade him. My only guess is that he was overly confident and closer to cocky as a rookie in Winnipeg and completely deflated and defeatist when he was in Columbus. MSL, the psychologist and the team will have to do their best from keeping him from getting too high when things go good and too low when things go bad.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
But there clearly something about his personality that riles up his teammates to either bully him like in Winnipeg or believe he’s toxic and want management to trade him. My only guess is that he was overly confident and closer to cocky as a rookie in Winnipeg and completely deflated and defeatist when he was in Columbus. MSL, the psychologist and the team will have to do their best from keeping him from getting too high when things go good and too low when things go bad.

The problem in Winnipeg was that his talent threatened the captain.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
It's in our best interest to make every effort to allow him to succeed in a role that should be his bread and butter, or face the fact that we have signed a non-core player to a 7,85 million contract until 2031.

Personally, I think Caufield will be fine. I find the rough treatment he's getting around here odd.
Rough treatment?
He isn't great at sealing the wall no matter what kind of treatment you think he's getting.
I can't help but comment on where plays are breaking down.

Destopcorner

Apr 29, 2018
That would require putting a 3rd liner on PP1 and PP2 or using two defenseman on one or both units. I don't think that will happen, personally.
Indeed times change... but I miss the old Markov perfectly placed soft one timer pass to some other D with a blast. The cross ice was always in play too, loved the scheme of our old PP.

I'm confident Hutson will be the cataclysm we needed. That and Burrows packing.

Last edited:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Indeed times change... but I miss the old Markov perfectly placed soft one timer pass to some other D with a blast. The cross ice was always in play too, loved the scheme of our old PP.

I'm confident Hutson will be the cataclysm we needed. That and Burrows packing.

I think the 2 dman PP setup with the heavy shot trigger man is a relic of the past. Instead of thinking of the markov-weber, markov-souray, or markov-streit combos, we need to look at the markov-kovalev style duo where he would send no look cross ice passes.

Today's powerplays look at getting shots through traffic using lateral mobility to open up lanes, or finding passing seams through the pk and getting shots off quickly. It's no longer much about powering shots through anymore as much as it is to get the goalie moving and limiting their reaction/setup time.

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
He just might be in the right mind frame to change. I’m encouraged by this attitude to get help

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
CBJ reporter talks about Laine. Amongst the more interesting points he mentions that his release is accurate but slower than needed and defencemen are able to easily get in front of him by the time he lets the shot go which has frustrated him.

Anyone know if this is something that Dr Shot can fix?

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Reactions: BLONG7

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
You know that MSL was already controlling the PP during the past seasons
You also know that the team spent much less time at practice working on their PP compared to normal NHL teams because MSL wanted us to improve our 5 on 5 play before anything else.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
You also know that the team spent much less time at practice working on their PP compared to normal NHL teams because MSL wanted us to improve our 5 on 5 play before anything else.
I don’t disagree but to say that the PP is gonna be better because Burrows is not here anymore is just false

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I don’t disagree but to say that the PP is gonna be better because Burrows is not here anymore is just false
MSL has always talked about collaboration and just talking with everyone, so even if the final decisions are his, when the advice he's getting changes the results will change. It's the same with scouting, we maybe don't draft Fowler if Billy Ryan doesn't go to bat for him, but final decisions was still someone else.

Now I don't think we should assume the advice Burrows was giving was bad, but none of us fans know,

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Not sure where your getting those stats but from naturalstattrick we are
23-24: 19th with a 49.38% GF
22-23: 27th with a 44.75% GF

19th after being 27th and 28th in the 2 years prior, and in terms of actual goals we scored 160 and let in 164 at 5-5.
We were 23rd in Goals For at 5v5 last year - I guess the improvement came defensively at 5v5?

It is true that we scored less goals at 5v5 than the year before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad