Confirmed with Link: Patrik Laine and 2026 2nd round pick acquired from the Blue Jackets in exchange for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
I’m not buying this “Montreal pressure could get to him”. He essentially got traded as a cap dump and will have no expectation to lead the team. I think it’s extremely optimistic to think he can go back to his 40 goal ways, but 30-30 could be realistic if healthy.

You’re mistaken.

If he’s not PPG after the first 10 games I’ll be the first one in his Instagram DM letting him know what’s up.
We even have the end of summer to look forward to. So far, every summer he's been at the helm he's made a nice deal at the end of the summer:

2022 - Monahan + 1st for Simon Bourque
2023 - 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th + 25% Retained on Petry + Pearson bad contract, for Hoffman bad contract, Pitlick.
2024 - Laine + 2nd for Harris

Who’s gonna be the late summer addition this time? Askarov? McGroarty? 😋

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
If Laine hits, he’s not a guy you flip at 26. You keep him and sign him for life.
Injury prone with character issues. I highly doubt he's in long term plans. Laine has lengthy injury history. Then substance abuse. Bad defensively with huge contract.

I think he starts great but gone by 2nd deadline at lastest. A trade generally rejuvenates but long term Old habits die hard.

I think Habs get good 40 goal season out of him, flip him for a first. In 5 years looking back, Habs got a 2nd and 1st for Harris.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
He just doesn’t want to go into the detail, If he didn’t have anything good to say why would they acquire him or why would they have him as a coach… If you aren’t trusting is evaluation why would you have him coach your farm team…
Exactly what I was going to say

Plus Pascal Vincent knows him since Winnipeg even if he didn’t coach him there. It’s sure they took what he said seriously in their evaluation.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
I told y'all Laine could be had for a song, some didn't believe me. Heck he was cheaper than a song. I didn't even want him, but for free? Heck yeah! There's nothing to dislike about this move.

Moving Harris for a 2nd is fair value and free's up room on the backend. Getting Laine for nothing but cap space is fantastic.

It's just a no lose proposition for Hughes, with great possible upside. It's wonderful to have a GM who actually understands what he's doing.

Last edited:

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Tsn 1200 (Ottawa)

They like it. Obviously don't love it, as they bring up the injury and how he hasn't scored 30 in 5, but the co-host brought up that he had pace to 30+ 2 and 3 seasons ago.

TSN 1200 is usually down to Earth for takes on other teams, so it's why I listen to them over the 690.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
Injury prone with character issues. I highly doubt he's in long term plans. Laine has lengthy injury history. Then substance abuse. Bad defensively with huge contract.

I think he starts great but gone by 2nd deadline at lastest. A trade generally rejuvenates but long term Old habits die hard.

I think Habs get good 40 goal season out of him, flip him for a first. In 5 years looking back, Habs got a 2nd and 1st for Harris.
Yikes I’ll give you a hint. The vision of this trade isn’t an eventual 1st and 2nd for Harris.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
The works of Kent Hughes AND Jeff Gorton (Can’t stress enough how Gorton has played a vital role putting this thing together) has been absolutely incredible. We had to live 10 years + of mediocrity. Long gone are the days of trades are too hard…this is not playstation…if you want loyalty go buy yourself a dog etc…

When Hugo came to the scene, I remember thinking to myself “how the hell are they going to fix this mess?” Impressed to say the least. Although the task is not complete, it’s quite evident that this team is headed in the right direction.

It’s just too bad for Carey Price that HuGo came 10 years too late.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

He was in the NHL program for mental health issues not substance abuse…like Spencer Knight of the Panthers

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I had the same thought. This is still a relatively soft team, and Struble brings a deterrent that Harris does not possess, while also having many of the same mobility attribute that he has.
Yes, with a future core that will be built around smallish, skilled players like Caufield, Demidov and Hutson, Montreal needs a level of 'steel' interspersed through out the team's evolving line-up. While Struble lacks Harris' overall fluidity, he brings more than adequate mobility and a level of physicality that makes him a better fit going forward.

With the team's growing backlog of promising defenders, there wasn't enough room and roster space to retain all these prospects. I think most here would have been quite satisfied to have received a second round pick for either Harris or Struble, particularly from a team who should still be a lottery pick in 2026. The Laine trade was a sophisticated, multi-faceted transaction which saw Hughes use several assets at his disposable (excess positional talent and available cap flexibility) in a bold effort to dramatically improve the team. The assumed risk/cost expended was low with the potential of securing a potentially high return. The very essence of adhering to the principle of an intuitive "calculated risk".

Last edited:

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I am usually a player first guy so I'll admit bias but I look at the head coaches Laine has dealt with and I see his best years with the best coach (Paul Maurice) and his worst with John Tortorella and Pascal Vincent who tried to turn him into a centre. Sorry if I am not worried what Vincent has to say about him. Or if he fought with Torts.

Maurice took responsibility for Laine saying he wanted out of Winnipeg due to the bad locker room.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I am usually a player first guy so I'll admit bias but I look at the head coaches Laine has dealt with and I see his best years with the best coach (Paul Maurice) and his worst with John Tortorella and Pascal Vincent who tried to turn him into a centre. Sorry if I am not worried what Vincent has to say about him. Or if he fought with Torts.

Maurice took responsibility for Laine saying he wanted out of Winnipeg due to the bad locker room.

I mean Wheeler didn't have such a great reputation as a leader in WPG.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Kinda feel bad for Hughes having to put a diplomatic spin on this trade when the truth is he probably drove Jordan Harris to the airport himself as soon as the deal was offered.

If you're not going to spin the wheel on this move, I don't know what deal you would accept.

Harris is a good player, and we could lose the trade if Laine's issues get the better of him. But the upside is all for us.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I can hardly believe it. Who knows what we'll actually get with Laine, but the upside is tremendous.

Yeah, and that price was much cheaper than we expected. Cap space is still one of the most valuable things (if you have it). Seems to me that the Jackets owner wanted that contract gone and very little contracts coming back. I get that Laine has had injuries and was on the assistance program but there is no way he slipped to Monahan level in trade value. But then, you see this trade and it was close to Monahan. Not exact but close. Can't believe we got a 2nd out of this.

Wow, just wow! The part that excites me is Laine has not really played with good centers. Scheifele is basically it. Suzuki and Dach are both great fits for Laine.

Does Caufield and Laine share the left side wall spot on the PP?

Will be also interesting to see how Demidov fits this line-up now.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020

What substance abuse? His dad died and he was going through it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad