Confirmed with Link: Patrik Laine and 2026 2nd round pick acquired from the Blue Jackets in exchange for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I just got back from a drive to the grocery store and I wanted to hear some reaction so I searched "Laine" in Youtube and autoplayed..

Well the second clip is one from 'Overdrive', the Leafs radio show on TSN... And Frank Corrado is on there and he's being realistic because he does Habs games. He knows Laine's slotting into the second line, knows we're in a transition year, that the pressure won't be as insane as it normally would be, etc. Basically he's saying the same things we are.

The other stooge, some rando Leafs guy, first thing he says "If I'm a Habs fan I'm having real second thoughts about this." He has some valid points about injuries and stuff but then it devolves into "why would you bring this guy in to mentor your young guys? This reminds me of when Shanahan moved out Kessel because the Leafs were a young team, now the Habs are bringing a guy like that IN? I don't know about that".

Nevermind that Kessel won three cups after he left and the Leafs haven't done shit all (he neglected to mention this) or that we also get a 2nd round pick out of it. One thing you see in the media is guys that actually follow what's happening with a team or stooges that just watch TSN highlights but feel free to chime in.
LMAO. Zero chance Laine "mentors" our young guys. More like he fits in, or he GTFO. Our young guys know what they are building, and I suspect Laine is going to come in and want to be a part of it. I can't stress how huge this is.

Kiss Under the Guy

Mar 21, 2022
Not sure where he gets the “mentor part”. I’m sure they’re not expecting that of him. Besides, if he’s sincere about the mental health thing, I think he could be a good guy to talk to.
KH said in the presser that players with such a goal scoring touch often share that with their teammates, and he expects Laine to do so in practices

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
These salty Leafs fans tears are tasty af

latest_9.gif

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Leafs fans really trying hard to figure out how this is bad for us.
I can't see how anyone could find anythging negative about this trade...

Fantilli was living with Laine, can't see the team letting that happen if he was such a horrible influance.
We also have his last coach on staff, hard to belive we would make the trade if is report was overly negative.
We traded a player that was in our 7/8th in our depth chart + we got a 2nd round pick which should be very early.

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
I like this trade a lot. I liked Harris, but saw him as a 3rd pairing dman and we have others who can and will slide up into the LD position to start getting more minutes and responsibility: Struble, Xhekaj, Hutson and Engstrom.

We leverage our cap space here to take advantage of an opportunity to bring in a big skilled scoring forward who has one of the best shots in the league. Yes he's had past inconsistencies and some challenges, but the risk reward equation really makes sense for us. Cap space shouldn't be a problem for the 2 year term. If Laine performs and seems happy, he may re sign. If not, he could bring in a haul at the next deadline to continue the flow of assets into the organization. In the meantime, it's an injection of skill we would certainly welcome for this season.

Plus we get a 2nd?

Exceptional asset management and strategy by Hughes here.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
You folks are all excited but did you know that Mathews was named Leafs captain?!

lol. So what are the projected top 2 lines now assuming Dach lasts past the training camp? Laines presence really changes things up.

Reactions: SwiftyHab and knuck

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Monahan, Dach, Newhook, Laine, Matheson all traded to the habs in 3 seasons. That is so impressive especially when you look at what we gave up in total to get these players.

Not to mention all the first round picks.
One thing those players have in common is that they were all had big upsides as evidenced by their draft postions as 1st round picks (3 were top 10 picks and 2 were top 3 picks). To get such talent would cost a lot but Hughes and Gorton were smart in getting good value in exchange for taking on risks for each player. We'll see what Laine brings but so far they have made smart calculated trades.

This wasn't the approach by Bergy who rarely took risks unless they were considered low risks such as picking up the likes of Kassian, Semin, Hemsky, King, Parenteau and Briere. All players with limited upside. The best upside swings he made did not lost here long (Vanek, Radulov and Domi). Like all GMs, Hughes and Gorton do take low risk swings sometimes but they are often not intended to fill a specific need. When they do need to fill a long term need they have been smart about the type of risk they take.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Monahan, Dach, Newhook, Laine, Matheson all traded to the habs in 3 seasons. That is so impressive especially when you look at what we gave up in total to get these players.

Not to mention all the first round picks.

After watching Bergevin for ten years and having the media and his defenders all say how hard it is to acquire talent, it is absolutely wild that Gorton and Hughes have added Laine, Monahan, Dach, Newhook, Slafkovsky, Matheson, Hutson, Demidov. With previous management, Suzuki and Caufield would be relied on for all the offense without any puck movers to feed them. Mailloux would be rushed and demoted once the rigours of playing over minutes as a young rookie took hold. It just feels good to see how much talent.

One thing though is they've done their due diligence with every player yet and it was a big part of the excellent Monahan acquisition.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Harris for a 2nd I can see. It's about even. But that's a lot of money for 55 points. He's just under 9m for 2 years. Going to take us out of free agency next year. Especially a guy injury prone, terrible defensive and coming out of abuse program.

Hughes must plan on righting Laine, retain half and flip him at deadline. Getting a major return,

Montreal is in good shape next offseason cap wise. If Beck, Demidov, Hutson, and Reinbacher are on the roster in 2025-26, which I think is very possible, Montreal has 18 players signed at around $71 million (not including Price). Assuming the cap goes up to $91-$93 million that leaves $20-$22 million to sign 4-5 players - UFA’s or make trades to add NHL players. Thats with Price on LTIR.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
This also gives us the start of a very good 2nd PP unit with Dach, Laine, and Hutson + +
This is such an underrated part of this move. We actually have 2 units again for the first time in how many years?

If one isn't working/slumping, the other one should be capable of doing damage too (rather than burning our first unit out and then throwing Gallagher out there).

Reactions: Andy

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
This also gives us the start of a very good 2nd PP unit with Dach, Laine, and Hutson + +

Laine will gets some rewards for theses players. Dach and Hutson needs sniper to go with them. Not a fan of Laine, not a fan of the Fins, but still realy like the move and I believe that Laine could be an important player for our going forward

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
After watching Bergevin for ten years and having the media and his defenders all say how hard it is to acquire talent, it is absolutely wild that Gorton and Hughes have added Laine, Monahan, Dach, Newhook, Slafkovsky, Matheson, Hutson, Demidov. With previous management, Suzuki and Caufield would be relied on for all the offense without any puck movers to feed them. Mailloux would be rushed and demoted once the rigours of playing over minutes as a young rookie took hold. It just feels good to see how much talent.

One thing though is they've done their due diligence with every player yet and it was a big part of the excellent Monahan acquisition.
Yep. For years it was always 'but they're not available'... they always were. There's always talent available. But you have to be willing to do what's necessary to acquire it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad