Confirmed with Link: Patrik Laine and 2026 2nd round pick acquired from the Blue Jackets in exchange for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
A second round pick from Columbus is nothing to dismiss. That's very likely a high 2nd rounder.
sure but it depends on the team/situation, if we're talking about a perennial contender with a weak prospect pool + few upcoming picks that 2nd has much higher value, for a team in MTL's position it's much more expendable

we're basically in the exact opposite position as the perennial contender, it's fine to move non premium assets for a player with Laine's potential, especially when factoring in our area of need

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Leafs fans really trying hard to figure out how this is bad for us.
I just got back from a drive to the grocery store and I wanted to hear some reaction so I searched "Laine" in Youtube and autoplayed..

Well the second clip is one from 'Overdrive', the Leafs radio show on TSN... And Frank Corrado is on there and he's being realistic because he does Habs games. He knows Laine's slotting into the second line, knows we're in a transition year, that the pressure won't be as insane as it normally would be, etc. Basically he's saying the same things we are.

The other stooge, some rando Leafs guy, first thing he says "If I'm a Habs fan I'm having real second thoughts about this." He has some valid points about injuries and stuff but then it devolves into "why would you bring this guy in to mentor your young guys? This reminds me of when Shanahan moved out Kessel because the Leafs were a young team, now the Habs are bringing a guy like that IN? I don't know about that".

Nevermind that Kessel won three cups after he left and the Leafs haven't done shit all (he neglected to mention this) or that we also get a 2nd round pick out of it. One thing you see in the media is guys that actually follow what's happening with a team or stooges that just watch TSN highlights but feel free to chime in.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Holy cow, good trade.

Laine for Harris plus we get another second round pick. Kent Hughes loves his picks & prospects (as he should).

I shall miss Jordan Harris' shifty look.

View attachment 902002

It will be interesting to watch Laine this season. If it works out, what a steal. If not it's two seasons.

Once again good trade.
As a hockey trade, for this season, I don't see how Montreal won't be better with Laine in and Harris out.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I just got back from a drive to the grocery store and I wanted to hear some reaction so I searched "Laine" in Youtube and autoplayed..

Well the second clip is one from 'Overdrive', the Leafs radio show on TSN... And Frank Corrado is on there and he's being realistic because he does Habs games. He knows Laine's slotting into the second line, knows we're in a transition year, that the pressure won't be as insane as it normally would be, etc. Basically he's saying the same things we are.

The other stooge, some rando Leafs guy, first thing he says "If I'm a Habs fan I'm having real second thoughts about this." He has some valid points about injuries and stuff but then it devolves into "why would you bring this guy in to mentor your young guys? This reminds me of when Shanahan moved out Kessel because the Leafs were a young team, now the Habs are bringing a guy like that IN? I don't know about that".

Nevermind that Kessel won three cups after he left and the Leafs haven't done shit all (he neglected to mention this) or that we also get a 2nd round pick out of it. One thing you see in the media is guys that actually follow what's happening with a team or stooges that just watch TSN highlights but feel free to chime in.
Hayes is a meathead. knows absolutely nothing outside his Toronto bubble.

Reactions: StCaufield

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Even if he is only score 30 goal that is a legit NHL top 6, maybe even 1st line player.
For everyone that worried about it we now have is previous coach on staff I doubt we would have made the trade if he had concerns...

With current team, prospects + Laine and our picks our rebuild is basically complete, we now have all the asset top build a contendeing teams.

I still can't belive the cost was so low I'm starting to belive that Laine had all other teams that had interresse ability to fit is cap hit on is no trade list and might have force is way to Mtl...

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
I've watched him since '16 and seen pretty much all NHL games and all international games.

Best shot I've ever seen. It's a legit threat from anywhere in the offensive zone. Excellent playmaker, can really dish the puck and does it too much for the shooter he is.

At his best in rush offense, as he just needs to enter the zone and either shoot or be ready to shoot depending who is carrying the puck in.

Benefits from line mates who can win pucks in corners and behind the net, to strip the puck away from opponents. Also benefits from players who can effectively carry the puck to offensive zone. In CBJ he did most of it when he was on the ice. He can do it, but it's not his best attribute so if someone else can do the puck carrying he can focus on shooting lanes. If he's the puck carrier, he'll do more of the passing.

Should shoot more but that is a coaching thing.
Great analysis.thanks. Slaf or Dach will be great with him based on your description

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Can't wait til we dump Anderson/Armia/Dvo and bring over Demidov and sign a big UFA next year.
*Boom* rebuild complete.

Reactions: Rozz and Redux91

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

It’s clear he doesn’t have a clue about what we gave up.

Harris was a fine player but unless he comes a HOFer it doesn’t matter how good he becomes. Harris deserves a real shot somewhere and it wasn’t going to happen here. He was as expendable as Romanov was.

With the 2nd rounder it’s almost impossible we lose this trade. And even if we lose this trade this is still a gamble any GM would make 10/10.

Losing Harris at some point was pretty much a forgone conclusion. Getting Laine and a 2nd for losing him is hilarious and anyone trying to spin that into something bad don’t deserve the time of day

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
I'm dead with the Milk Jug. :laugh:

I'm also amused by how much he sounds like Johnny McInnis from Brampton Ontario instead of a 6'5" Finn.

I was expecting some cross between Saku Koivu and Ivan Drago and got Patty instead.
That shocked me. I expected a water bottle!

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I don't think it was Hayes, that's the thing. I know Hayes and I agree with your assessment of him. It was some older guy.
I went looking after I posted lol. Was Feschuk. He's out of touch. PPG player in 22-23 and 23-24, albeit less than 60 games per. The media thing is gonna be overblown because Laine is not French Canadian. I expect he'll be treated like Kovalev was if he comes in and works hard.

I'm quietly impressed with Corrado. I think he's done a solid job in front of the camera and as a colour analyst.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022

Not sure where he gets the “mentor part”. I’m sure they’re not expecting that of him. Besides, if he’s sincere about the mental health thing, I think he could be a good guy to talk to.

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014

Attachments

• IMG_6156.jpeg
    IMG_6156.jpeg
    264 KB · Views: 2

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Not sure where he gets the “mentor part”. I’m sure they’re not expecting that of him. Besides, if he’s sincere about the mental health thing, I think he could be a good guy to talk to.
Yeah I agree. I didn't know this but Corrado brought it up: Fantilli lived with Laine in Columbus.

I thought that was pretty telling that a) He was willing to do that and b) Columbus was willing to do that. If he was some cancer who they wanted away from young guys at all costs, that's surprising.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad