OT: Paris Olympics 2024 - Jeux de la XXXIIIe Olympiade Thread

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
You mean you don’t like watching drag queens mock Christ?
lmao I can't believe some christians thought this. "They're all on one side of a table! It MUST be about us!"

I'm neither Christian nor religious.

I found the clips of the opening ceremony that I saw to be distasteful, as well as artistically weak and lazy. There is no great skill in cheap mockery and snark and flashing dicks which is what much of these ceremonies engaged in.

Just because someone disagrees with you on something doesn't make them an incel.
It's okay not to like it, but there wasn't anything distasteful at all. Are you misunderstanding things, because I'm assuming you think jesus was mocked. Artistically weak? care to elaborate?

The opening was weird, fun, and excellent IMO

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
I don’t get the drone thing. I mean how do you train at soccer or american football (or any sport played in a stadium or arena) and hope not a single person in the stadium is looking? It’s not like stealing the next pitch or play? Heck even that who cares you still have to hit the ball or throw on time to 2nd base… Good for you for outsmarting them; just play.

I always felt it was pretend fair play, one eyed closed “nah, I ain’t looking!’.

Like “whhhat? you mean they’ll pass the ball and kick it? omg we’ve been doing it all wrong!”… weird.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
lmao I can't believe some christians thought this. "They're all on one side of a table! It MUST be about us!"
Earlier in this thread I commented that I didn't find the ceremony offensive or blasphemous but this blitz of gaslighting is offensive.

The rotund woman in the centre of the scene has a crown and saintly halo as seen in hundreds if not thousands of depictions of Jesus Christ in European traditional painting and they posed (in their half-assed attempted to look) like the scene of Da Vinci's Last Supper. It's unmistakable. There's no point denying it or pretending it didn't happen. Allegedly, this section of the show was referred to La Cène Sur Un Scène Sur La Seine which shouldn't surprise you because it was very much what it was: The Last Supper on a stage on the Seine.

(The rotund person in the middle, Barbara Butch, on their personal Instagram, referred to it as "The Gay New Testament".)

Then there was a lot of ineffective and sloppy dance numbers and then the Dionysus figure in blue came out and one of the background guys whipped out his balls and they sang a song about how we're all nude. Whatever, who cares. It's just tasteless.
It's okay not to like it, but there wasn't anything distasteful at all. Are you misunderstanding things, because I'm assuming you think jesus was mocked. Artistically weak? care to elaborate?

The opening was weird, fun, and excellent IMO
I don't think anything about that was excellent but it's a matter of taste. The whole part celebrating fashion and then the disco barge was too long and boring, even the commentators were confused. The Minions were unnecessary. Lady Gaga was unnecessary. The can-can dance from the Moulin Rouge dancers was sloppy. The weather didn't help but it is what it is.

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
Aside from the fact that the opening ceremony felt more like a provocative statement of wokeness instead of a celebration of athletics, some parts of it were long in the tooth.
The one thing that bothered me most, is I felt that the athletes were left out of the celebrations; it was a show made for tv audiences, not for the athletes.
Heck, lighting the cauldron without any of the athletes being there just felt sad.
The best parts were the death metal band , the opera singers and Celine.
Let’s just hope the athletes can be part of the celebrations in the closing ceremonies.

Reactions: ReHabs

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Earlier in this thread I commented that I didn't find the ceremony offensive or blasphemous but this blitz of gaslighting is offensive.

The rotund woman in the centre of the scene has a crown and saintly halo as seen in hundreds if not thousands of depictions of Jesus Christ in European traditional painting and they posed (in their half-assed attempted to look) like the scene of Da Vinci's Last Supper. It's unmistakable. There's no point denying it or pretending it didn't happen. Allegedly, this section of the show was referred to La Cène Sur Un Scène Sur La Seine which shouldn't surprise you because it was very much what it was: The Last Supper on a stage on the Seine.

(The rotund person in the middle, Barbara Butch, on their personal Instagram, referred to it as "The Gay New Testament".)

Then there was a lot of ineffective and sloppy dance numbers and then the Dionysus figure in blue came out and one of the background guys whipped out his balls and they sang a song about how we're all nude. Whatever, who cares. It's just tasteless.

I don't think anything about that was excellent but it's a matter of taste. The whole part celebrating fashion and then the disco barge was too long and boring, even the commentators were confused. The Minions were unnecessary. Lady Gaga was unnecessary. The can-can dance from the Moulin Rouge dancers was sloppy. The weather didn't help but it is what it is.
Yeah… I’m not offended by any of it because who cares, but a bunch of fat people signing “it’s fun to be naked, it’s fun to be naked” at an event celebrating athleticism is just laughably dumb for me.

Agendas are always near impossibly hard to pull off in entertainment without sounding super pedantic and obvious anyway, whether it be about the environment, equality, world peace, however close to our hearts the subject matter is, or however well intended.

I feel the same about national anthems at sporting events incidentally.

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Remember what happened with Charlie Hebdo? I 'member. Imagine what the reaction would be to mockery at something at the scale of the Olympics.

Muslims in the west are generally a sacred cow to people of a certain belief system at the moment.

Yeah, I remember and it directly disproves your point. Charlie Hebdo mocked Muslims so a couple of them flipped and committed murder (including of another of Muslim).

I don't know what your background is but you sound woefully ignorant of the history of Muslims in France or the West in general. Muslims a sacred cow. Hilarious.

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
Yeah, I remember and it directly disproves your point. Charlie Hebdo mocked Muslims so a couple of them flipped and committed murder (including of another of Muslim).

I don't know what your background is but you sound woefully ignorant of the history of Muslims in France or the West in general. Muslims a sacred cow. Hilarious.

I feel you're repeatedly and deliberately misconstruing what I'm saying. I'm saying people of a certain political persuasion CURRENTLY view Muslims as a sacred cow. Do I need to type more slowly, or do you get it now?

EDIT: I don't think I'll continue to engage with you on this topic. I recall that you don't particularly argue in good faith, and i do not feel like getting warnings, so I'll bid you adieu.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I feel you're repeatedly and deliberately misconstruing what I'm saying. I'm saying people of a certain political persuasion CURRENTLY view Muslims as a sacred cow. Do I need to type more slowly, or do you get it now?

EDIT: I don't think I'll continue to engage with you on this topic. I recall that you don't particularly argue in good faith, and i do not feel like getting warnings, so I'll bid you adieu.

I do get it. I profoundly disagree and think you have no understanding of race relations in France. You're equating folks who may decide not to punch down with being a sacred cow. I find that dumb. There is nothing about Muslims in France - whether economically, politically or culturally that would dictate them being sacred cows.

Last edited:

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Why don't men playing beach volleyball wear speedos??
Cause no-one wants to see that? :D

I do get it. I profoundly disagree and think you have no understanding of race relations in France. You're equating folks who may decide not to punch down with being a sacred cow. I find that dumb. There is nothing about Muslims in France - whether economically, politically or culturally that would dictate them being sacred cows.
I think sacred is the wrong word. Feared is more like it. And a huge voter base that probably decides the election.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
I did a similar joke when he was drafted and got a warning ...

Sigh... no offence intended... just some locker room humour. And I use "humour" loosely cause my career as a standup comedian died long time ago for a good reason.

Reactions: LaP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad