OT: Paris Olympics 2024 - Jeux de la XXXIIIe Olympiade Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
It seems the Olympics have made an effort over the past several years to bring in a different demographic, particularly in the winter Olympics. I'm specifically referring to the "x games" crowd. I don't think breakdancing is in the X games catalogue but the event kind of gives that same vibe.

It looks kind of odd to me as well that is an Olympic sport but if it was a well established olympic event already when I was growing up and watching Olympics for the first time, it probably would not have looked out of place to me. Its certainly an impressive athletic endeavor, even if it looks out of place.
Yeah but skate and snowboard make 100% sense those have been sports for a long time and it was kind of about time for them to be sports at the OG. I was not even aware breakdancing was a sports i mean it was pretty much a meme when i was young and then disappeared from the map, Probably like 75% of the countries at the OG don't know what breakdancing is outside of 80s-90s american movies.

This is probably rugby 15 which is yeah kind of boring. NRL games are fun to watch.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah but skate and snowboard make 100% sense those have been sports for a long time and it was kind of about time for them to be sports at the OG. I was not even aware breakdancing was a sports i mean it was pretty much a meme when i was young and then disappeared from the map, Probably like 75% of the countries at the OG don't know what breakdancing is outside of 80s-90s american movies.

This is probably rugby 15 which is yeah kind of boring. NRL games are fun to watch.
It's always been around. Perhaps more put of the spotlight, but I'd counter that there are many other events in the olympics which are not well known in certain parts of the world too.

Oryxo

Oct 24, 2007
From what I remember, breakdancing was one of the "host sports" requested by France. The next Winter Olympics will have "ski mountaineering" and LA will add baseball/softball, flag football, squash, cricket and lacrosse.

Reactions: TRG

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
From what I remember, breakdancing was one of the "host sports" requested by France. The next Winter Olympics will have "ski mountaineering" and LA will add baseball/softball, flag football, squash, cricket and lacrosse.
Lacross is coming back?! The international top 3 is: USA, Canada and Haudenosaunee (Iroquois Six Nation who compete under their own name at the world stage)....and Australia not far behind.

Also, I think Canada is the reigning Olympic champion (since 1908).

Reactions: the valiant effort

Oryxo

Oct 24, 2007
Lacross is coming back?! The international top 3 is: USA, Canada and Haudenosaunee (Iroquois Six Nation who compete under their own name at the world stage)....and Australia not far behind.

At least for the LA games in 2028. There's always a chance it gets added to the core Olympic sports eventually like they did with sport climbing, skateboarding and surfing recently. It would probably help if Brisbane in 2032 wants it there too because those 3 sports I named were made official after being in both the Tokyo and Paris Summer Olympics.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017

TWO TIME REIGNING CHAMPS :sarcasm:

It will be very disappointing when the IOC leaves the Iroquois out on the sidelines

Reactions: morhilane

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
It's different because of the synchronization and swimming part but yeah it's probably 3rd dumbest sport. Doesn't change my life either, matter of fact very little in this world changes my life, a very dumb argument.
It's not a dumb argument at all. If some people think it's cool and want to watch it? Have at it. Why should I care what others like? You want to add Chess next year? Go for it.

Reactions: Oryxo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad