OT: Paris Olympics 2024 - Jeux de la XXXIIIe Olympiade Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
1722448486097.png

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
I watched 3 woman judo fights. All ended on penalties. No judo move completed. Yawn. Respect to the athletes but it's pretty boring.
To be fair to Deguchi, her opponent never let her do anything. The Korean girl would attempt a throw as soon as she got a grip, regardless of her body position. Glad the ref saw that and kept penalizing her on that (and lose the match). From what I can tell, the Korean girl did that to all her opponents. As for Deguchi, her other matches were much more interesting.

Reactions: The Real Timo

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Judo has uniform rules and is governed by the IJF. It's basically the same sport at a given time no matter where it is played. Jiu Jitsu, on the other hand, has several declinations such as BJJ that makes it harder for the games to harmonize. This is a huge problem for the Olympics regarding qualifications
The Japanese are fairly pissed off with all the rule changes in Judo causing many matches to be decided by penalties and not actual Judo. They are annoyed how too many players (not from Japan) prioritize getting their opponents to get penalties to win matches and essentially destroying the 'beautiful' sport of Judo. After watching some of these matches, I have to agree.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
I feel so sorry for the players. They're a solid team, there was no need to cheat in anyways.
Still boggles the mind. Cheat, sure, I'm sure a lot of teams do that...but using drones? Talk about using the loudest most noticeable way to try to cheat or are all soccer/football players deaf? *facepalm*

Reactions: Habs10Habs

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
So if Canada wins in soccer are they through to the next round despite the deduction or are they dependant on results of other games too?

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Still boggles the mind. Cheat, sure, I'm sure a lot of teams do that...but using drones? Talk about using the loudest most noticeable way to try to cheat or are all soccer/football players deaf? *facepalm*

They have been doing it for years, it was a proven method for them. You use a drone because A) It's not obvious who is flying it and B) You don't need to be physically close to the pitch to spy.

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
The Japanese are fairly pissed off with all the rule changes in Judo causing many matches to be decided by penalties and not actual Judo. They are annoyed how too many players (not from Japan) prioritize getting their opponents to get penalties to win matches and essentially destroying the 'beautiful' sport of Judo. After watching some of these matches, I have to agree.

Ehh, it was even worse before. There used to be other points like kokas and yukos that made the sport even more tactical and calculated

Games are often decided by shido (penalties) when one of the fighters "refuses" to fight and instead makes fake attacks, non-traditional grips for too long without intending to attack, and excessive defence. It is a slog to watch at times I admit, but it used to be even worse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad