OT: Parabola Memorial B.C. Lions 2023 Thread

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Jax has horrible interference from ownership I think. Looked like they learned their lesson but seemed to have taken a step back this past season?

I think, not sure, with the way Jones contract is structured, they have to consider how much dead cap space they have to deal with if they wait too long for Jones to it together again.
The wrestling promoter fancies himself an expert at sports too?

Reactions: Hit the post

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Justin McInnis is having a monster season.....so looked him up and tried to figure out where he came from....and was surprised to learn that he spent three years with Saskatchewan. But didn't seem to get any balls even thrown to him according to his stats.

Looking at him now at age 27 with B.C., he's probably the CFL's most dominant receiver. But I guess part of the problem with the Riders from 2019-2022 is that they didn't really have a QB that could get the ball to anyone.

But knowing the passion of the Rider fans, it must be a little galling to have had him for three years and then let him go.

I think the commentators said he was often injured during his time with Saskatchewan. Maybe they wanted to go with someone less talented but more healthy? I think that would have been the Chris Jones era at Saskatchewan too, he only coaches teams to losing records so maybe it was also McInnis wanting out too.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Rourke released by the Giants. Not sure why they bothered bringing him on in the first place. It was obvious he was never going to be part of their plans. I guess he did sign the contract as well. Gotta be pretty discouraging for the Victoria kid.

Reactions: Lindgren

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Rourke released by the Giants. Not sure why they bothered bringing him on in the first place. It was obvious he was never going to be part of their plans. I guess he did sign the contract as well. Gotta be pretty discouraging for the Victoria kid.
I really have no idea how Rourke has performed since leaving the Lions and the CFL. With the exception of a couple of highlight reel plays with the Jacksonville Jaguars in the exhibition schedule, he hasn't take a regular season snap.

But I think the NFL is a copycat league in terms of QB's. If you're an American and a high draft pick from a major university program, you get chance after chance. But if you're a Canadian whose biggest seasons are in the CFL, you have to be almost twice as good to get a shot.

I mean Rourke didn't even last through mini-camp this year with the Giants. Surely he couldn't have legitimately played his way off the roster in a couple of practice sessions.

Not sure what's next for the kid. Another NFL team might pick him up. But the best he can hope for now is a spot on the taxi squad. If you don't play, you can't get better.

Looking more and more like he should have built on his resume by staying in the CFL.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
You have to be lucky in the nfl to stick there if you are not a high draft pick.

I go back to SF example when Shanahan first arrived. They went with Hoyer as the veteran and had 2 youngsters in Mullens nd Beathard. Neither is really any better than Rourke but Hoyer got hurt and both got to start for SF that season. They deal for Jimmy near the end and he starts the final 5 games. Next season he tears his acl in game 2 or 3 at home vs Det. And those 2 again get starts.

Now both are backups in the nfl making an nfl salary. So if you are not lucky enough to get into the field you are stuck with the preconceived notion the staff have of you.

For a guy to rise up, Rourke needed to kill it on the whiteboard or ball out in practice. If he didn’t then he’s not going to jump anyone.

With NYG to get cut this early then he must not have shown well enough as well as Jones must be healing from his acl well as he injured his at nearly the same point when Kyler injured his the year prior and Kyler missed all of Sept and most of Oct I believe.

Jones and Lock were going to be the main 2 QBs. It was a battle for QB3 with DeVito and he has a couple of starts under his belt.

Rourke needed to have found a team where he was QB3 last year with a legit shot to be QB2 this year. That means veteran starter and same coaching staff coming back.

Reactions: Wry n Ginger

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Come home Nathan. There is no shame in being screwed over. Or don't. There is also no shame in being dogged in pursuit of realistically questionable goals.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Come home Nathan. There is no shame in being screwed over. Or don't. There is also no shame in being dogged in pursuit of realistically questionable goals.
Honestly, bad choice of teams to go with Jax when Lawrence was a 2 year starter. Very unlikely Pederson was going to tab a NFL to be his rookie contract's backup coming off a playoff appearance. Thus, they opted for Beathard.

Either Rourke and his agent should have seen the writing on the wall based on who was looking to sign him and since he didn't get the right situation, probably best to put in another season in the CFL to build up the resume even more.

If you just are not lucky enough to get onto the field, there's not much you can do.

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Honestly, bad choice of teams to go with Jax when Lawrence was a 2 year starter. Very unlikely Pederson was going to tab a NFL to be his rookie contract's backup coming off a playoff appearance. Thus, they opted for Beathard.

Either Rourke and his agent should have seen the writing on the wall based on who was looking to sign him and since he didn't get the right situation, probably best to put in another season in the CFL to build up the resume even more.

If you just are not lucky enough to get onto the field, there's not much you can do.
It seems to be one of those unfair truths with exceptions so rare they're incredibly notable when they do take place.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Probably just cheap insurance policy in case Jones injury status turned out to be worse than thought. Just a 'waiver claim' so it's not like the Giants lost any assets.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Probably just cheap insurance policy in case Jones injury status turned out to be worse than thought. Just a 'waiver claim' so it's not like the Giants lost any assets.
And the giants need to give reps to lock in preseason so no like they need another camp arm. Thus not many pre season snaps for a 4th QB.

Reactions: Hit the post

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The Giants coaching staff confirming that Rourke didn't take a single snap under center during their recent mini-camp. As the fourth QB, he was basically a dead player walking from the outset.

The Giants coaches said they were 'doing him a favor' by cutting him 'early' so he could potentially catch on with another team. Some 'favour'. But according to TSN's Dave Naylor, Rourke will try to hook up with another NFL team. But the best he can probably hope for is a practice squad gig, likely with another bottom-feeding NFL team.

Not very appealing.....but that's as good as it's going to get. Now looking like it will take a miracle for Rourke to even earn a legitimate 'backup role' in the NFL, much less a starting job.

It's a 'cautionary tale' for other CFL QB's who put up gaudy numbers in the three-down game and expect it to translate into NFL success. Guys like Joe Kapp, Doug Flutie, Warren Moon and Jeff Garcia were total 'outliers'.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Look at the owners (and avoid them like the plague).

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The Giants coaching staff confirming that Rourke didn't take a single snap under center during their recent mini-camp. As the fourth QB, he was basically a dead player walking from the outset.

The Giants coaches said they were 'doing him a favor' by cutting him 'early' so he could potentially catch on with another team. Some 'favour'. But according to TSN's Dave Naylor, Rourke will try to hook up with another NFL team. But the best he can probably hope for is a practice squad gig, likely with another bottom-feeding NFL team.

Not very appealing.....but that's as good as it's going to get. Now looking like it will take a miracle for Rourke to even earn a legitimate 'backup role' in the NFL, much less a starting job.

It's a 'cautionary tale' for other CFL QB's who put up gaudy numbers in the three-down game and expect it to translate into NFL success. Guys like Joe Kapp, Doug Flutie, Warren Moon and Jeff Garcia were total 'outliers'.
At this point in the CFL season, he's not walking back into a starter role. 1/3 of the season gone and would take him to 1/2 way through the season before he were to get onto the field. So, financially, probably best to try to land a PS gig and get that $225K USD for the whole season.

Probably have to hope someone gets hurt.

But, figure for 2025 year, he returns to the CFL. He needs to play.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Rourke signs with Atlanta. Cousins, Penix and Heineicke ahead of him on the depth chart.

With cousin’s Achilles injury and a rookie in Penix I do expect ATL to keep Heineicke on the active 53 man roster. So at best Rourke lands on the PS. But given the time of the year in the cfl hard to get up to speed for a second half push.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I said it at the beginning of the year.

Lions won’t win anything with Adams as QB.
As the interminable CFL seasons grinds onward, the defenses start to stiffen up around the league.....and unfortunately that's when Adams starts to lose his effectiveness. It happens every season.....and now that he's hurt the Lions are in a world of trouble without much at the backup QB spot.

If Rourke ever comes back to the CFL, the Leos would be crazy not to re-sign him. He's bigger and more durable. And a proud Canadian to boot.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I said it at the beginning of the year.

Lions won’t win anything with Adams as QB.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Too true....TSN is reporting that if Rourke at least makes the Atlanta Falcons practice rosters, he'll earn $900,000 this season. Not much wonder the CFL is either bleeding players; or can't recruit to begin with. You'd have to play nine seasons in the CFL to earn that kind of money.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Too true....TSN is reporting that if Rourke at least makes the Atlanta Falcons practice rosters, he'll earn $900,000 this season. Not much wonder the CFL is either bleeding players; or can't recruit to begin with. You'd have to play nine seasons in the CFL to earn that kind of money.
That doesn’t make sense if they say PS.

PS for guys with 2 years or less of experience in the nfl is $12,500 a week. $225k usd so about $300k CAD for the whole season.

He’d have to make the 53 man roster to earn an nfl salary. But with Cousins off his injury, Penix a rookie I don’t think Atl would have Rourke on the main roster ahead of Heineicke. They’d want a veteran in case cousins gets hurt.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Fun game in Regina. Thank you, Elks! We're gonna need all the help we can get.

Edmonton finally figured it out that Ford should be their starter - and we play them next Sunday. Great timing.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
A seriously concerning result in Winnipeg, and that was before Adams went down with an injury. Supposedly the Lions prioritized improving their offensive line this off-season, but you'd never know it from their performance against the Bombers. Winnipeg basically rushed only three guys and dropped back into coverage with remainder of their defenders, and they still ate the Lions O-line alive, with Adams running or his life most of the game.

Now losers of two in a row, if the O-line doesn't get better in a hurry, this Lions team may have trouble finishing at .500.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad