OT: Parabola Memorial B.C. Lions 2023 Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

3rd Sedin

Dec 15, 2010
Regina
That whole fourth quarter felt like it was shaping up for a last second game winning Winnipeg field goal. Team hunkered down in the final 3 minutes. Big early season win!

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
My fiancé doesn't buy it either. And there's the Lions never seem to win in Winnipeg. Lions are the team I don't hate in the CFL except when playing the Bombers.
Well, we were both wrong, as it could have gone either way.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
My fiancé doesn't buy it either. And there's the Lions never seem to win in Winnipeg. Lions are the team I don't hate in the CFL except when playing the Bombers.

The Bombers have reached the ‘hanging on to vets a bit too much’ stage. Offensive line is terrible and they have been running in fumes for the past 5 years now.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It really could have. Lions are healthy. Bombers not so much
For whatever reason, the Lions defense really seems to tire as the games go forward. They took nearly identical 20-7 leads against both the Bombers and the Argos in the league opener, and allowed both teams back into the game.

But can't argue with Lions offense.....it's clicking on all cylinders right now, and think Stanback will be an increasingly important player as the season winds on. Been quite awhile since the Lions have had a true elite-level running back.

Reactions: MikeK and Lindgren

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Tonight's comfortable win vs Hamilton sets up next week's game vs Saskatchewan nicely. Go Lions.

I still miss Parabola.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Matt Dunigan compared that Hamilton defense to a 'flag football team'. Ouch. VA finished with four TD passes in the first half; and could probably have finished with eight if he'd kept the pedal to the metal in the second half.

Now the Leos come home to entertain the Riders in a first place showdown. Those green and white Prairie stubble-jumpers will be filling B.C. Place again. Always a fun night when Saskatchewan comes to town.

Reactions: MikeK

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Guess who was at the game tonight...
IMG_53751.jpg

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I guess Rourke hasn't given up on his NFL dream, despite being on waivers three times and with his third NFL team in just one year.

And unless something dramatic happens in the New York Giants training camp, it's another long year on the practice roster. It's good money....far better than the CFL. But the longer he goes without taking a snap in earnest, the tougher it gets.

But the Leos aren't missing a beat with VA. In fact if he stay healthy, he's on pace for an historic season in the passing department with more than 6,600 yards.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I guess Rourke hasn't given up on his NFL dream, despite being on waivers three times and with his third NFL team in just one year.

And unless something dramatic happens in the New York Giants training camp, it's another long year on the practice roster. It's good money....far better than the CFL. But the longer he goes without taking a snap in earnest, the tougher it gets.

But the Leos aren't missing a beat with VA. In fact if he stay healthy, he's on pace for an historic season in the passing department with more than 6,600 yards.

His dream for sure, but I think it goes deeper than that at this point. I could be wrong, but I'm almost certain that even if it's just the practice roster spot he's eligible for a pension after a certain amount of time. We won't see him back in the CFL until he's unable to land a spot anywhere.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Quick Look into nfl pension it requires being in the roster ( I’m guessing that is the main 53 man roster) for 3 games either regular or post season games. Don’t think he was on it for 3 games in 2023.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

He's still a longshot but consider that the current "starter" is looking like a bust (probably a 'make it or break it' year for Daniel Jones for the Giants to walk away from him). Likely the backup on the depth chart, Lock is on his third NFL team (with not exactly a stellar history). I don't know anything about the probable #3 guy on the Giants QB depth chart.

Don't think he needs to play like Tom Brady in his prime to beat out one or two of those guys for a spot.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Justin McInnis is having a monster season.....so looked him up and tried to figure out where he came from....and was surprised to learn that he spent three years with Saskatchewan. But didn't seem to get any balls even thrown to him according to his stats.

Looking at him now at age 27 with B.C., he's probably the CFL's most dominant receiver. But I guess part of the problem with the Riders from 2019-2022 is that they didn't really have a QB that could get the ball to anyone.

But knowing the passion of the Rider fans, it must be a little galling to have had him for three years and then let him go.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He's still a longshot but consider that the current "starter" is looking like a bust (probably a 'make it or break it' year for Daniel Jones for the Giants to walk away from him). Likely the backup on the depth chart, Lock is on his third NFL team (with not exactly a stellar history). I don't know anything about the probable #3 guy on the Giants QB depth chart.

Don't think he needs to play like Tom Brady in his prime to beat out one or two of those guys for a spot.
You underestimate nfl coaches and their biases. They will typically defer to experience over potential. Just like Jax did last season.

Lock has starter experience so he and jones will be on the main roster. It is between Rourke and DeVito for QB3. No clue where jones is at on his acl recovery but that is the battle for Rourke is to be QB3 and if jones is not ready for the season opener then whoever is QB3 will dress as the backup in September.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
You underestimate nfl coaches and their biases. They will typically defer to experience over potential. Just like Jax did last season.

Lock has starter experience so he and jones will be on the main roster. It is between Rourke and DeVito for QB3. No clue where jones is at on his acl recovery but that is the battle for Rourke is to be QB3 and if jones is not ready for the season opener then whoever is QB3 will dress as the backup in September.
Jax has horrible interference from ownership I think. Looked like they learned their lesson but seemed to have taken a step back this past season?

I think, not sure, with the way Jones contract is structured, they have to consider how much dead cap space they have to deal with if they wait too long for Jones to it together again.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Jax has horrible interference from ownership I think. Looked like they learned their lesson but seemed to have taken a step back this past season?

I think, not sure, with the way Jones contract is structured, they have to consider how much dead cap space they have to deal with if they wait too long for Jones to it together again.
Jones is on the roster this season. His $35.5 mill base salary is fully guaranteed, so like Russ, he'd get that regardless of whether he's on the roster or not. They will walk away from him after this season with about $22 mill in dead money to take on in 2025 or split between 25/26 year. And will do so before the 5th day of the 2025 league year in late March as $11 mill of his 2025 base becomes guaranteed by that 5th day.

Reactions: Hit the post

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Jones is on the roster this season. His $35.5 mill base salary is fully guaranteed, so like Russ, he'd get that regardless of whether he's on the roster or not. They will walk away from him after this season with about $22 mill in dead money to take on in 2025 or split between 25/26 year. And will do so before the 5th day of the 2025 league year in late March as $11 mill of his 2025 base becomes guaranteed by that 5th day.
I just took a cursory look at the Giants recent history but it seems at least a good part of the reason why it seemed Jones didn't progress is that the OL of the Giants sucked ass & he didn't really have too many weapons to throw the ball too (or a running back for a running game). With them using their 1st round selection on a WR (and I assume them revamping their offensive line), Jones will at least be in a better position this upcoming season.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I just took a cursory look at the Giants recent history but it seems at least a good part of the reason why it seemed Jones didn't progress is that the OL of the Giants sucked ass & he didn't really have too many weapons to throw the ball too (or a running back for a running game). With them using their 1st round selection on a WR (and I assume them revamping their offensive line), Jones will at least be in a better position this upcoming season.
That's their hope. Thomas their LT is good, but been injured a bit. Their more recent RT, Neal from Alabama, has been terrible in his 2 years. Giants should just have franchise tagged Jones and make him prove it to them last season. Had they done that, they would have walked away from Jones this off-season. Whether they would have drafted a QB at 6 (Penix/McCarthy) who knows....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad