OT: Parabola Memorial B.C. Lions 2023 Thread

3rd Sedin

Dec 15, 2010
Regina
Tough one to start the year. Should’ve had that one in the bag but we kept them in it. That O line is concerning, but at least this is Week 1 and there’s plenty of time to figure this out.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
A sloppy gamer on both sides of the ball....not a good look when a guy who's basically a rookie QB shreds your defense in the league opener.

And too many turnovers on the offensive side of the ball. And not to quibble with the Lions coaching staff, but what is Vernon Adams doing running third down, short yardage plays? Are they trying to get him hurt? If they keep doing it, he will go down.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
I was at the game today. Seeing 54,000 people in BC Place for a Lions game was surreal. I've been in there when there was 15,000 and it felt like a cavern. Today, it felt like a different world. Obviously bringing in 50 Cent was a big deal but if even a few people left after the game today thinking "that was fun, we need to go again" then it was worth it.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Omar Doman with an interesting hour-long interview on Global TV. Almost single-handedly responsible for the resurrection of CFL football in Vancouver.

Obviously probably half the people in the house tonight probably won't be back for the next Leos' home game. But if there's any franchise that deserves fan support, it's Doman and the Lions.

The issues with CFL football in league in Vancouver sort of mirror the league as a whole. There were times where the franchise was basically in bankruptcy and the late David Braley was the only thing saving it from extinction.

But good to see the franchise back on the upswing. Diehard CFL fans in the Lower Mainland deserve it.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Omar Doman with an interesting hour-long interview on Global TV. Almost single-handedly responsible for the resurrection of CFL football in Vancouver.

Obviously probably half the people in the house tonight probably won't be back for the next Leos' home game. But if there's any franchise that deserves fan support, it's Doman and the Lions.

The issues with CFL football in league in Vancouver sort of mirror the league as a whole. There were times where the franchise was basically in bankruptcy and the late David Braley was the only thing saving it from extinction.

But good to see the franchise back on the upswing. Diehard CFL fans in the Lower Mainland deserve it.
Getting a team on the upswing and adding an owner that knows how to hype his team AND knows the CFL game in a bigger market like Van is such a bonus. Next year's week 1 should be at home in just the big markets or markets that want put on a good show. Make week 1 a party across the nation

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

The cost to bring a big act is probably costing them the extra 25K of attendance, so that's basically the tradedoff they have to make. performer is only there for a 50-60 minute shows, so half of what they normally would do. Plus, not an act that's in their prime.

That's the thing with BC Place. Too large for the regular attendance. 25K for Whitecaps and low 30's for Lions is what is needed. So, the extra 20K sits empty and needs to be tarped off.

Have a soft spot for the Lions and CFL as that is what got me into football. But, I'm pretty much an NFL guy now, save for the Grey Cup.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I see CFL football is being picked up on a few networks south of the border. I can only imagine the bafflement of some of the fans. Heck, even the players have trouble with the rules at times.

It's an immense field with a 55 yard line; 15 yards wider; big end-zones and a one-point rouge on a missed field goal or a punt that goes into the end zone. Then there's all the motion at the line of scrimmage. And last, but not least, a football that looks like a cross between a watermelon and a pumpkin.

But's worked for more than 70 years. More than one way to play this game of football I guess.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The motion is to give the O an advantage since they have 1 fewer down. Ball is wider so bot as easy to connect on a deeper pass. Could see them reduce the size to match nfl.

Aside from that the game is the game.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
The motion is to give the O an advantage since they have 1 fewer down. Ball is wider so bot as easy to connect on a deeper pass. Could see them reduce the size to match nfl.

Aside from that the game is the game.
For some reason I thought they had switched to an NFL-sized ball not that long ago. Must have been imagining things again.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I have a couple in each size and the difference is not very noticeable. Probably moreso to a player that's only played with one, then tries the other. But it wouldn't take long to adjust.
Smaller the ball, the easier it is to throw. Hand size is a thing when it comes to the combine and QBs. And CFL guys are not your 6'4 Brady/Manning/Stafford guys. Going to be smaller ones who can move. So, hand size likely a tad smaller, so with a larger ball, maybe lose a few to several yards on a deep pass of 50 yards.

Reactions: The Stig

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Smaller the ball, the easier it is to throw. Hand size is a thing when it comes to the combine and QBs. And CFL guys are not your 6'4 Brady/Manning/Stafford guys. Going to be smaller ones who can move. So, hand size likely a tad smaller, so with a larger ball, maybe lose a few to several yards on a deep pass of 50 yards.
That's the reason I really thought Nathan Rourke might find a decent home in the NFL. He threw the heck out of the CFL ball and was particularly deadly when moving around in the pocket.

I figured with the smaller NFL ball, he'd be zinging passes down there by now. But in the NFL it's all about 'opportunity', and clearly there's still a stigma if you're a QB from the CFL going back to the days of Warren Moon. And it took Doug Flutie years to gain NFL credibility as well.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That's the reason I really thought Nathan Rourke might find a decent home in the NFL. He threw the heck out of the CFL ball and was particularly deadly when moving around in the pocket.

I figured with the smaller NFL ball, he'd be zinging passes down there by now. But in the NFL it's all about 'opportunity', and clearly there's still a stigma if you're a QB from the CFL going back to the days of Warren Moon. And it took Doug Flutie years to gain NFL credibility as well.
Also luck. I don’t think highly of Beathread who was ahead of him on the Jax depth chart but he got starts while in SF due to injuries by Hoyer and Jimmy.
It’s how it goes.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Fully expecting the Lions to walk all over my Bombers on Friday

I see Oliveira is back in the lineup, though backing up Augustin so who knows how healthy he is. Didn’t practice all week either.

This is a game the Lions have to capitalize on. I still see Winnipeg as the team to beat in the West despite the first two games, so BC needs to take advantage and put as much distance between them and Winnipeg before the Bombers wake up.

Reactions: Lindgren and MikeK

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
I think that the Lions are going to get thumped. The Bombers will be out to prove something, and they're at home. Not good for the Leos.

The Bombers oline has been terrible. They were at home week 1 and got creamed. Us Bombers fans have been lucky for so long it's hard seeing the team struggle

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
The Bombers oline has been terrible. They were at home week 1 and got creamed. Us Bombers fans have been lucky for so long it's hard seeing the team struggle
Yeah, yeah, poor Bombers. I just don't buy it. (Not that I don't think you're sincere; I completely get it.)

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
My fiancé doesn't buy it either. And there's the Lions never seem to win in Winnipeg. Lions are the team I don't hate in the CFL except when playing the Bombers.
When I started watching the CFL, the Bombers and the Lions were both terrible, which shaped my attitude. It was the Roughriders I hated, for the way Lancaster and Reed beat up on BC. And now I still want the Lions to run up the score against the Green.

Who was the better quarterback, Wally Gabler or Paul Brothers? (Even I had to admit that the Bombers had the much cooler name.)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
VA with a career game as the Leos eke out a 26-24 win in front of a hostile crowd at Princess Auto Field in Winnipeg.

Adams finishes with 398 yards passing and couple of TD's to Alexander Hollins. Easily one of the best games of the early CFL seasons.

Lions go to 2-1 and the Bombers 0-3. Looks good on 'em.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3rd Sedin and MikeK

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad