Rumor: Pagnotta: Flames are exploring trade market on Nazem Kadri

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Probably not. He loves playing with the young guys and it revitalized him.
Also why the f*** would Calgary ever have to retain? $7m for a 2C isn't a bad contract when 3Cs are getting 5m+
He probably wants to win a cup more than playing with some decent young guys and riding off into the sunset lol

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
He's had seasons of 87 and 75pts in the last three years. Unless there's some A assets in the return he won't be moved. His contract is actually pretty damn good for the next 2-3 years.

If he wants out is one thing, but if not I'd just prefer to hang on to him at least for another year. Worked wonders pivoting Zary and Pospisil.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
It sounds more like he's just not going to be moved.
That's one way of taking it.

The other is that all of 30 minutes after Pagnotta tweets this, Dreger, who's related to Dave Nonis the Flames' assistant GM, puts out a message essentially saying no, it's actually other teams that are calling about Kadri. And that the Flames really like him and he likes Calgary. But at the same time, doesn't say that the Flames don't want to move him, just that they're not in a "full tear down". In other words, 'we're not desperate enough to treat Kadri like a cap dump; you're gonna have to pay up if you want him."

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
He played with Rantanen and Landeskog/Nuke and on the Avs scary PP.

He played with Zary and Pospisil on the Flamess anemic pp. it was just as good as that year if not better.
I mean completely different situation, he was our 1C and the only player on our whole team capable of carrying the puck so he got way more opportunity than he would in Colorado. Plus the point per game cup run is a massive factor in that season being a career-defining season for him. But either way hes a valuable 2C with a bad contract who will bring us back value if we take a decent sized cap dump back in return

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Always has been

I mean...kinda sorta. That's how he got that idiotic deal in the first place, after all. But usually teams get a strong stink-a-whiff from those awful contracts like a year after they're signed...and it almost never really goes away.

So Kadri's contract potentially becoming palatable again probably says something really foreboding about this years particular UFA market.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I mean...kinda sorta. That's how he got that idiotic deal in the first place, after all. But usually teams get a strong stink-a-whiff from those awful contracts like a year after they're signed...and it almost never really goes away.

So Kadri's contract potentially becoming palatable again probably says something really foreboding about this years particular UFA market.

If flames didn't give him that contract someone else would have. Not sure why you are acting shocked

Ufa Centers get paid, always have

Reactions: tmurfin

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
That's one way of taking it.

The other is that all of 30 minutes after Pagnotta tweets this, Dreger, who's related to Dave Nonis the Flames' assistant GM, puts out a message essentially saying no, it's actually other teams that are calling about Kadri. And that the Flames really like him and he likes Calgary. But at the same time, doesn't say that the Flames don't want to move him, just that they're not in a "full tear down". In other words, 'we're not desperate enough to treat Kadri like a cap dump; you're gonna have to pay up if you want him."

That seems like a pretty tenuous.

Its not up to Calgary, Kadri has a full NMC. Even if Calgary was planning on trading him, they need to get an offer from a team Kadri would be willing to go to before even bringing it to him.

I don't think anyone thought Kadri was a cap dump, he's a cup winner and just had a 75 point season. But "pay up" is pretty imprecise.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I have no doubt Kadri would welcome a move. Yes, he has full control, but that won't stop the Flames from finding a destination or a trading partner. Kadri is a great player and many teams would be interested adding his experience and talent to their lineup. The CGY flames are years away from being a legitimate contender again. They have a few bad years in front of them. At his age I highly doubt Kadri is interested in sticking around for those struggling years. I fully expect him to be playing for a different team come training camp.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
That seems like a pretty tenuous.

Its not up to Calgary, Kadri has a full NMC. Even if Calgary was planning on trading him, they need to get an offer from a team Kadri would be willing to go to before even bringing it to him.

I don't think anyone thought Kadri was a cap dump, he's a cup winner and just had a 75 point season. But "pay up" is pretty imprecise.

He does. And he's been vocal in the past about not wanting to be part of a rebuilding club. It might simply be a case of he doesn't absolutely want out, but he also wouldn't be absolutely opposed to a move either.

"Pay up" is basically saying the Flames likely expect something of value back. Doesn't have to be high end, but that Kadri isn't a cap dump and the Flames aren't going to do something ridiculous like retain 3.5M in cash for the next 5 years just to facilitate a move.

aryanoboi

Apr 17, 2020
Now I’m not that convinced that kadri is being explored (outside of the general “test the waters” that might be going on), but it is great to see as a flames fan that the ownership is finally accepting a scorched earth rebuild. I never thought I’d see this in my life.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
If flames didn't give him that contract someone else would have. Not sure why you are acting shocked

Ufa Centers get paid, always have

They do. And i'm not shocked at all by it, wasn't shocked when the Flames handed him that deal. I was actually a little surprised it took as long as it did for him to get his megadeal at the time.

But generally, those contracts age like milk left out on the counter. A year out from the date of signing, they're almost always toxic or basically untradeable. As Kadri's was. But if they're now exploring trade options...that implies that the latest crop of UFA Center contracts is possibly so ghastly and beyond the norm, teams are actually circling back to previous "awful" contracts as an alternative? That's a yikes harbinger of what is going to happen on Monday.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
They do. And i'm not shocked at all by it, wasn't shocked when the Flames handed him that deal. I was actually a little surprised it took as long as it did for him to get his megadeal at the time.

But generally, those contracts age like milk left out on the counter. A year out from the date of signing, they're almost always toxic or basically untradeable. As Kadri's was. But if they're now exploring trade options...that implies that the latest crop of UFA Center contracts is possibly so ghastly and beyond the norm, teams are actually circling back to previous "awful" contracts as an alternative? That's a yikes harbinger of what is going to happen on Monday.

Well it's really just Lindholm and maybe Stamkos as other top 6 options and they both have their negatives as well.

So ya, it is a weak market but there's never that much that makes it to July 1st

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
Who the f*** would take that contract.
Calgary playing parlour games saying the have no interest in moving him.

No. You have no interest in the shitty return you will get Conroy.
Like most of your recent trades.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Who the heck would take on that contract?

He's slated to make $7M as a 39 year old in the future.
idk, short term impact? why are so many people acting like 7 million is a lot for a guy coming off a 75 point season, and is at worst a solid 2C. 7 million is peanuts for 2Cs in todays game, not to mention that the cap boomed a bit, making his contract even more valuable.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
I just want to say how dumb Darren sounds with that whole “it’s not a complete tear down” please let’s not go full Craig Conroy now Darren. This guy makes it so obvious where he gets his info from

Reactions: Avsfan1921

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
idk, short term impact? why are so many people acting like 7 million is a lot for a guy coming off a 75 point season, and is at worst a solid 2C. 7 million is peanuts for 2Cs in todays game, not to mention that the cap boomed a bit, making his contract even more valuable.
Mangiapane just got sold for 5.8M. As an undersized 40 point winger. League is flooded with middle six wingers making 5+

7M for a top 6 center is peanuts.

Reactions: muddywaters

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I think the kadri thing is interesting because he's still playing at a damn fine level. But you're absolutely going to have to buy that contract out at some point. I don't believe any NHL team thinks otherwise. It's a ticking time bomb.
I mean, i see everyone say this, explain? how so? where is it so evident that Kadri will magically decline anytime soon, making the contract an anchor? lets say even if there would be just 2 years of solid 2C play left, where then it would be 3 years left and the cap higher in two years time, i doubt 7 million will be some anchor for an assumed decent 3C with 3 years left if we assume he declines at all to that level, that quickly. People need to catch up to the cap changing.

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
Who the f*** would take that contract.
Calgary playing parlour games saying the have no interest in moving him.

No. You have no interest in the shitty return you will get Conroy.
Like most of your recent trades.
Bro doesn't know what he's talking about

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad