P.K. Subban Thread - Mk III - Unsigned Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Chantal Desjardins ‏@ChantalCJAD
I just spoke to Don Meehan who says talks are still ongoing with the #Habs regarding @PKSubban1. He stresses talks have not broken off.

Interesting, the last few days Meehan was saying ''no progress and no change in the situation.'' when the media asked.

Looks like they are talking today.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It's not over being proven. It's over NOT letting the inmates run the asylum. Pacioretty and Price both signed small deals after their ELC. Same with guys like Higgins. That's what Bergy wants. And if he wants that to be a team policy, he can't break on the very first guy he tries to sign. A couple years down the road, maybe you bend if a player is that good. However, not here.

Now if Subban wanted a long-term deal worth $4.5M or something, I'm sure Bergy would entertain that because that's fair value if Subban wants to skip his RFA years. But the rumored $6M over 8-years is completely ridiculous at this point, especially with the cap going down and having to sign Desharnais next year.

Well, that's contradictory. You can't say Bergy wants to put forth a team structure, and he needs to stand on his ground because if he budges now, it simply looks bad on him. In other words, he will stick to his 2y bridge contract idea. But then say, if PK wanted an 8y deal at 4.5M, he would agree to it because it's an amazing deal.
It's either one or the other. If Bergy is open to a long term deal, then the problem is they haven't agreed on a number, it has nothing to do with team structure.

All in all, if this bridge contract idea is true, I think it's stupid.
You are saying it's principle vs logic. Logic would tell you, PK is already a star and is only going to get better, so sign him long term now for cheaper.
Principle, everybody needs to follow a 2y bridge contract.

It's just dumb. Sign the kid already, he's your best player, and the only leverage you have is he's a RFA. Creating a rift between management and your star player this early in your tenure is just dumb.
Also, from what the fans have demonstrated yesterday, it seems there's more chances of Bergevin creating a rift between him and the fans more so than PK and the fans.

Cmon man !!! Staubitz is NO Prust. Either you haven't seen what Prusty brings to the table or you are just guessing.

Of course he's no Prust. Prust is a 3rd-4th liner, but he still isn't worth 4y at 2.5M.
Prust is more of a Moen type than a Staubitz. But point was, you give Staubitz the boxing duties, and look for a cheaper Prust type the following year. Instead of overpaying so much.

I'm not saying Prust is worth his cap hit, he probably won't be from a pure value standpoint, but they had to overpay to get him. He adds a dimension of balls/grit/toughness that the team needed. Staubitz is as good a fighter, but he can't play a regular shift. Prust is reliable defensively, plays an "energy" role and can kill pemalities.

Of course they had to overpay, we always have to overpay, that's the point.
But apparently, for arguably our best player, that doesn't apply, and simply because he's a RFA. Let's not look at how he's performed and where he is on our depth chart. No, all of this is irrelevant. All that matters is he's a RFA.

PunkinDrublic*

Interesting, the last few days Meehan was saying ''no progress and no change in the situation.'' when the media asked.

Looks like they are talking today.

As i said this morning. They were talking.

I HOPE WE HEAR GOOD NEWS SOON !

skule123

Mar 24, 2008
@HabsEOTP quoted Bob McKenzie from a source I didn't see saying that the Canadiens were not offering more than 2 years at the moment. Did anyone else see or hear that? Surprised that was the only source I saw on it.

That is good news for a lot of posters, but a little suboptimal for my hopes to buy some UFA years from PK now, and have all our core locked up.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Nice one, some are so passionate about offering him a super lucrative contract after two good seasons (I mean good, not exceptional) that it's on the verge of obsession, infatuation....:laugh:

OR...some people just want the Habs best player back, God forbid..

PS: If you take everything into account, which you obviously haven't done, they were 2 very great years.

Habtchum*

Kulikov just sgned a two year deal in Florida. He is as important to them as PK in Montreal.

A two year contract is the way to go. Plenty of time over the next two seasons to re-negotiate for a longer contract.

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
I think MB will win on this one. They started talking because PK will miss a game and he probably hate that drama.

They will sign before sunday.

Habtchum*

PK should listen to his father instead of his agent for the time being.

vipergtx18*

Yeah let's trade our best asset because he won't accept a ridiculous lowball offer.

if hese that good why has no other team offered him a contract for us to match which they have evrey right to do. cause he does not deserve the money he is asking for. plain and simple

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Kulikov just sgned a two year deal in Florida. He is as important to them as PK in Montreal.

A two year contract is the way to go. Plenty of time over the next two seasons to re-negotiate for a longer contract.

Loll..Man, this is getting ridiculous. People don't even know who PK is anymore..

Kulikov was the Panthers's 3rd Dman last year. The year before that, he was their 4th. As a rookie, same thing, except he only put in 16pts as a rookie. Last season, he suffered injuries and only played 58games.
PK has more points than Kuli despite having played one season less. Actually, PK scored more goals in his rookie year than Kulikov has in all three seasons. But looking at points tells a very short story of what a Dman down.
Kulikov does not play versus the toughest opponents. That was Campbell and Garrison's roles. This year, with the addition of Jovo and Kuba, and Gudbranson making ways you can't say he will.
He's also not on the top Penalty Killing unit, and again, nor the ES one.

So really, Kulikov is more of a MDZ type than a PK type.
You want a comparable for PK, it's Tyler Myers.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Every time I log in to this site after several hours or days of absence, a large part of me expects the thread title to be changed, to "PK Subban signed, n years x millions".

This entire situation seems completely irrational. He is our no. 1 dman, he is the kind of player you win championships with, and we are treating him like garbage.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
As @hfialkov first reported Dmitri Kulikov now signed with FLA. Two year deal with AAV of $2.5M ($2M and $3M). FLA submits for NHL approval

Habtchum*

Loll..Man, this is getting ridiculous. People don't even know who PK is anymore..

Kulikov was the Panthers's 3rd Dman last year. The year before that, he was their 4th. As a rookie, same thing, except he only put in 16pts as a rookie. Last season, he suffered injuries and only played 58games.
PK has more points than Kuli despite having played one season less. Actually, PK scored more goals in his rookie year than Kulikov has in all three seasons. But looking at points tells a very short story of what a Dman down.
Kulikov does not play versus the toughest opponents. That was Campbell and Garrison's roles. This year, with the addition of Jovo and Kuba, and Gudbranson making ways you can't say he will.
He's also not on the top Penalty Killing unit, and again, nor the ES one.

So really, Kulikov is more of a MDZ type than a PK type.
You want a comparable for PK, it's Tyler Myers.

Kulikov, myers, doughty have one thing in common:. All first round picks. Myers is overpaid because of his crazy owner

PK is not perfect. But he is progressing nicely. Two seasons at 4 milion per is no chicken ****.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York

I like Kulikov a lot but he's not nearly as proven as PK. Not that Florida is stacked defensively but he didn't get (and thrive in) quite the same difficult assignments as PK.

Let me remind everyone about this which shows you just how good Subban really is: http://hockeyanalytics.com/2012/06/2012-player-usage-charts/

Despite playing the second toughest defensive minutes on the team after Gorges, the Habs were significantly better with Subban on the ice than without him. The same can't be said of Gorges and Plekanec, the teams other two most defensively important players.

The same can't be said of Kulikov (who did respectable but was out-possessed in a moderately difficult role), Del Zotto (who was used in 60% offensive zone starts). Or even Myers and his generous contract.

Within Subban's age group compareables are Hedman, Ekman-Larsson, McDonaugh :)rant:), Pietranglo - the kind of guys who have superstar upside. Subban played - and thrived in - a more difficult role than Doughty last year.

Very good deal for Florida.

Surprised he got that little, Kulikov is very talented. But he was poor in the playoffs last year, probably didn't help his case. I think he's going to be a good one but he has consistency issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad