Owen Sound Attack 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Credit where credit is due, and I'll reserve some praise until all these guys are here and contributing, but in terms of getting potentially quality players to show up, it's been a good offseason for DeGray.

This kind of competition and a reloading and younger roster is crucial and for the first time in a while it feels like not just roster spots that are up for grabs, but real opportunity for big minutes are possible for the guys coming in.

Reactions: Stellar29

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Credit where credit is due, and I'll reserve some praise until all these guys are here and contributing, but in terms of getting potentially quality players to show up, it's been a good offseason for DeGray.

This kind of competition and a reloading and younger roster is crucial and for the first time in a while it feels like not just roster spots that are up for grabs, but real opportunity for big minutes are possible for the guys coming in.
Varosyan will be really interesting to get eyes on. The only MHL 07 player who outproduced him last season was Ivan Ryabkin who is slated to be a top 5 NHL draft pick in the 2025 draft. Bleicher being a B rated prospect is the type of talent we've lacked in house in recent seasons. The import draft especially has been very good this year. I'll reserve judgment on the 2024 draft class until we get to see them in camp but it's been a pretty good offseason.

Reactions: frontsfan67

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
I'm sure they were likely caught off guard with Roy and knew Kwajah was a risk. I can't imagine they expected Pajkic to be a realistic option. Getting him to come to camp is a big win in my opinion. Getting him here with a chance to see him and get him around the team/coaches etc only helps with the ability to try and sell him on Owen Sound. Getting both 07 imports over to Owen Sound is huge, adding a player of the caliber of Pajkic would be a giant cherry on top.
Maybe he loves Salmon fishing too . 🤔

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
I'm sure they were likely caught off guard with Roy and knew Kwajah was a risk. I can't imagine they expected Pajkic to be a realistic option. Getting him to come to camp is a big win in my opinion. Getting him here with a chance to see him and get him around the team/coaches etc only helps with the ability to try and sell him on Owen Sound. Getting both 07 imports over to Owen Sound is huge, adding a player of the caliber of Pajkic would be a giant cherry on top.
If Pajkic shows thats big even if he decides on a different option. Hopefully my read on Scott Wray at his press conference is right. I see him as one of those guys that players will run through a brick wall for because they want to. Could a coach with his enthusiasm and attitude sway the family? Time will tell I think all cards will be on the table to try and attract him.

Reactions: Stellar29

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
If Pajkic shows thats big even if he decides on a different option. Hopefully my read on Scott Wray at his press conference is right. I see him as one of those guys that players will run through a brick wall for because they want to. Could a coach with his enthusiasm and attitude sway the family? Time will tell I think all cards will be on the table to try and attract him.
Totally agreed. Half the battle is getting him to Owen Sound. Now we leave it to the coach/GM to do the rest. It will be really interesting to see how he fairs at camp.

Reactions: KFawcett

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
FYI, There's a new system for purchasing tickets to Attack games online...

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Jeeze... Somebody has been hard at work this offseason...

1724513590322.png

Reactions: Millpond

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Totally agreed. Half the battle is getting him to Owen Sound. Now we leave it to the coach/GM to do the rest. It will be really interesting to see how he fairs at camp.
I wouldn't fix a % to it, but the fact he is coming to camp means he hasn't ruled out the OHL /Attack.

Which is positive news .

Reactions: KFawcett

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
It was fun being at the rink today and meeting a number of you. Lots of good hockey talk/stories to go around.

The camp itself was relatively uneventful for day one with the standouts being the players already signed. Mbuyi was far and away team red's best player and Easton Mikus was team white's in my opinion. Mikus is a little more expected being that he's an 07 born but seeing Mbuyi play that was is certainly encouraging. It'll be interesting to see if that transitions over to main camp.

I thought Bleicher was pretty quiet in the first session but seemed to find his footing in session 2 with two goals and looking much more comfortable. Pajkic was solid if unspectacular. It would be nice to see him in main camp to better evaluate. He's a little on the smaller side but listed at 185lbs. He didn't get out muscled by the players in rookie camp but how might he fair against the players in main camp? Costa was the goalie I liked the most on day 1. He's big and calm in the net. He was good at tracking pucks and staying square. He handled a couple of clean breaks really well. Durno was solid too but at 5'9" he seems like a guy to wait a year and see if he grows.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Does anyone have a link to the rookies at camp and what jersey numbers they have? I took my son to the scrimmage this morning and a few players stood out but I don’t know who they were.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Jacob Therien listed on Attack main camp roster.
Colby Barliw absent .
Discuss among yourselves

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Jacob Therien listed on Attack main camp roster.
Colby Barliw absent .
Discuss among yourselves
I saw Therrien before I missed Barlow listed and had to make sure it was the Therrien I was thinking it was. Pretty interesting player assuming it's not a typo.

I saw Therrien before I missed Barlow listed and had to make sure it was the Therrien I was thinking it was. Pretty interesting player assuming it's not a typo.
Ignore, since been corrected to Ty Therrien.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
To summarize the rookie camp grads, advancing to main camp are:

Team Red
Forwards

Brayden Lindsay 2024 draft
Pierce Mbuyi 2024 draft and signed
Colton Ashby 2024 draft
Trent Gates 2024 U18 draft
Owen Barfoot 2024 draft
Nick Gilby 2024 draft
Defense
Dominic Pajkic 2024 draft
Ronen MacFarlane 2024 draft
Logan Burnham FA
Goalie
Mason Costa 2024 U18 draft

Team White
Forward

Easton Mikus 2024 draft and signed
Ethan Kindree 2024 draft and signed
Gianluca Meli FA
Jacob Vandeven 2024 draft
Defense
Elliot Arnett 2024 draft and signed
Max Bleicher 2024 import and signed
Ethan Tatomir FA
Goalie
Dylan Durno 2024 draft

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Ty Therrien:
View attachment 903532
View attachment 903530

Looks like a possible Jackson Stewart replacement with that stat line.
Screenshot_20240827-193206_Chrome Beta.jpg

To summarize the rookie camp grads, advancing to main camp are:

Team Red
Forwards

Brayden Lindsay 2024 draft
Pierce Mbuyi 2024 draft and signed
Colton Ashby 2024 draft
Trent Gates 2024 U18 draft
Owen Barfoot 2024 draft
Nick Gilby 2024 draft
Defense
Dominic Pajkic 2024 draft
Ronen MacFarlane 2024 draft
Logan Burnham FA
Goalie
Mason Costa 2024 U18 draft

Team White
Forward

Easton Mikus 2024 draft and signed
Ethan Kindree 2024 draft and signed
Gianluca Meli FA
Jacob Vandeven 2024 draft
Defense
Elliot Arnett 2024 draft and signed
Max Bleicher 2024 import and signed
Ethan Tatomir FA
Goalie
Dylan Durno 2024 draft
Interesting no '23 draftees moved forward .

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
View attachment 903537

Interesting no '23 draftees moved forward .
Interesting that we has trying out in the Q. Likely explains him attending main camp and bypassing the rookie camp. Dale has a type and he could fit it lol.

I don't think the 2023 class not getting invites is overly surprising. The standouts for me were probably DiCarlo and Freeman who are both on the small side. I don't think they were likely to have a real chance of making it anyways so why not get a bit of an extended look at the 2024/FA group instead?

Gates was a total no show for me on day 1 but was one of the better players on the ice in day 2. Somebody must have said something to him that got him going. It will be interesting to see which version we get in main camp.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Honestly, this is best for everyone. Everybody knows how this ends. Why have it hang around the training camp? Going to Jets camp buys Dale time to make a deal he's content with and removes any potential issues around the team/dressing room etc. He's not making the Jets. Gives Dale a little leverage too if he's dead set on Barrie, who may or may not be trying to buy on the cheap, as he'll be coming back to Owen Sound if he won't accept a deal elsewhere. If he wants to play at the World Junior tournament he has to play games. He's on the outside looking in based on the pre-season projections I've seen and will need to show he belongs. Can't do that sitting at home.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
I think one thing of note, only 12 D on the main camp roster, including Konnor Smith. I would have thought if a deal was close they would have an extra body to cover his absence. It would seem the move to get to three OAs may have to come later.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
So disappointing, 2nd time in 5 years an Attack star player likely moved too late and for pennies on the dollar.

I wish Colby the best if this is it for him in Attackland, but hard not to have a bitter taste as a fan if the return is subpar. And 3 playoff wins in 3 seasons.

Reactions: OSA

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
So disappointing, 2nd time in 5 years an Attack star player likely moved too late and for pennies on the dollar.

I wish Colby the best if this is it for him in Attackland, but hard not to have a bitter taste as a fan if the return is subpar. And 3 playoff wins in 3 seasons.
I believe Colby announced his departure after the final playoff game last spring .

Nice to see Corbin land here.
Great kid .
Screenshot_20240827-211248_Chrome Beta.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad