Owen Sound Attack 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
I'll just add in general, there are a number of you who are around the rink on a regular basis who have a better idea of the inner workings of things than I do and can offer perspective and insights that I appreciate. Definitely appreciate the value added in the conversations on the board from those details that get shared. There's no need for everybody to agree on everything and healthy debate is fun.

I'd love to sneak away from work and catch some of camp this year and who knows, maybe I'll run in to some of you.
I'm one of the "Nuts" mentioned in the other post. We have a unwritten rule "What happens at Bayshore stays at Bayshore" for example we've witnessed 3 trades Suzuki,Guzda and Addy but don't say anything until it's public knowledge. I try not to criticize any ones opinion I apologize to everyone if it sometimes comes off that way. I personally put a positive spin on things thats just who I am. Like everyone there are things I don't like or agree with but still try and be positive,

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
We'll do what we can. lol. My expectations for this season are to see a hard working group and a group that is learning and improving steadily. I'm not putting any # of wins or points on the team.
I think that's the right way to view this coming season. The wins take a back seat this year to the process. This team is going to be young with a lot to learn and a new coach who will want to establish his program/culture with the group. Over time this group will learn to win as they figure out the systems and structure. It will be a year where we need other ways to measure this group besides wins and losses. Player growth and development over the course of the season will be the measure of success in my mind.

I'm one of the "Nuts" mentioned in the other post. We have a unwritten rule "What happens at Bayshore stays at Bayshore" for example we've witnessed 3 trades Suzuki,Guzda and Addy but don't say anything until it's public knowledge. I try not to criticize any ones opinion I apologize to everyone if it sometimes comes off that way. I personally put a positive spin on things thats just who I am. Like everyone there are things I don't like or agree with but still try and be positive,
Sounds like the Bayshore is a little like Vegas lol. I can respect that. Definitely more enjoyable to take a positive outlook than a negative one. I think last year was a major test for everyone but hope springs anew come camp at the end of August.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
This season I'm looking for a return of fun at the Bayshore.

There were a lot of long faces last year , and emotions ran high and low at times . Which was disappointing, because there were a lot of good kids on the team .

I am not concerned as much with the w-l as much as seeing this group bond as a team and feel they belong.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Attack have announced the hiring of a new Goalie Coach.

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
This season I'm looking for a return of fun at the Bayshore.

There were a lot of long faces last year , and emotions ran high and low at times . Which was disappointing, because there were a lot of good kids on the team .

I am not concerned as much with the w-l as much as seeing this group bond as a team and feel they belong.

As an opposing fan that is the vibe I usually get from the Attack. It seems like despite being a smaller market and I guess a more traditional building it seems like a place players loved in their time there.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
As an opposing fan that is the vibe I usually get from the Attack. It seems like despite being a smaller market and I guess a more traditional building it seems like a place players loved in their time there.
The market size and facilities in Owen Sound is something that opposing fans and clubs always seem to get confused on.

Fans look at the Bayshore and see the capacity size and think that the building isn't OHL standard or consider the building to be "small". This is something that has been constantly going around the OHL for decades now. As you pointed out the Bayshore is what you call a "traditional building" in today's standards.

The big question I would have for you is what do you consider traditional? There are buildings in this league that are far older then the Bayshore Community Centre and J. D. MacArthur Arena that have been renovated that are more traditional then you think.

Take Kitchener Memorial Auditorium was built in 1950, Sudbury Community Arena 1951, North Bay Memorial Gardens 1955, PMC in Peterborough 1956. I would say these facilities are far more traditional then the Bayshore Community Centre.

I've seen games in all of these facilities.

The players themselves at first look at the Bayshore as a small building until they get out on the ice and play under the Bear uniform and realize that the crowd noise and size of the building is something the creates an atmosphere that unlike any other building in the OHL. This is something that the players just build off of Night in and night out.

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
I haven't been to a game at the Bayshore yet but do want to experience the atmosphere.
Saw a game last year at the Brantford Civic Center and it was a blast.
To your point the Aud while yes probably the quint essential "traditional building" it has had many facility upgrades. PMC is probably a more fair comparable but has also had a recent refresh.

Don't get me wrong I'm not slagging the Bayshore more so pointing out its unique. I think it could be argued that 9000 people in Budweiser Gardens can not replicate the atmosphere of 2700 fans at a place like the Bayshore..

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Im betting the 3rd rd D will make everyone forget all about the 2nd rd D in time
I think it's easier to forget when they never show up vs when a kid like Dean Letourneau shows up and dazzles in camp and then disappears. Stops people from asking the question "what could have been" if they've never seen them in Owen Sound to begin with.

Reactions: KFawcett

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
I haven't been to a game at the Bayshore yet but do want to experience the atmosphere.
Saw a game last year at the Brantford Civic Center and it was a blast.
To your point the Aud while yes probably the quint essential "traditional building" it has had many facility upgrades. PMC is probably a more fair comparable but has also had a recent refresh.

Don't get me wrong I'm not slagging the Bayshore more so pointing out its unique. I think it could be argued that 9000 people in Budweiser Gardens can not replicate the atmosphere of 2700 fans at a place like the Bayshore..
A packed Bayshore during playoffs is an incredible environment. The regular season crowds can be great too but nothing I've ever experienced compares to watching the Attack playoff run they went on in the 2016/2017 season. The building was absolutely electric. I can only imagine how much fun that must have been to play in for the Attack players.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
With the Bertucci deal today, I'm thinking Colby lands in Brampton or Brantford.

Not sure Barrie has the assets to land him, nor does Digger really want to send him somewhere we play 6 games .

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Owen Sound brings in some OA centre depth in a trade with Erie. I believe someone correctly put those two together on this board awhile back lol. Got to think there is more to come with Owen Sound's OA picture.
1724091760907.png

Attack apparently have traded for Bruce McDonald from Erie, another 2004. OHL Trade Tracker doesn't report unless it's a done deal so, have to think another 2004 is out the door here shortly?

Was thinking the same thing. Has to be another shoe to drop.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Attack upgrade their OA group.
Is this where we bid 22 farewell ?

Can they roster 5 OA in off-season?
I suppose many teams do .

What's the cutoff date ?

Owen Sound brings in some OA centre depth in a trade with Erie. I believe someone correctly put those two together on this board awhile back lol. Got to think there is more to come with Owen Sound's OA picture.
View attachment 901904

22 ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240819-141659_One UI Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20240819-141659_One UI Home.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 2

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
View attachment 901904

Bruce is a great kid all around. Not a higher end skill player, but will give everything to his team when he's on the ice. He played PK1 last season in Erie and should make for a great mentor for 3rd and/or 4th line players.

You guys got an amazing young man, sad to see him leave us. Off the ice he has an amazing demeanor and personality.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Bruce is a great kid all around. Not a higher end skill player, but will give everything to his team when he's on the ice. He played PK1 last season in Erie and should make for a great mentor for 3rd and/or 4th line players.

You guys got an amazing young man, sad to see him leave us. Off the ice he has an amazing demeanor and personality.
Owen Sound will be a very young team this year. High character veterans will be key to help this next wave of Attack players.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Attack upgrade their OA group.
Is this where we bid 22 farewell ?

Can they roster 5 OA in off-season?
I suppose many teams do .

What's the cutoff date ?

22 ?
They still have plenty of time to trim/sort out the OA situation. Konnor Smith isn't a 100% lock to return, though I think he will. To me, Konnor gets shipped out if he's returned and likely doesn't play another game for Owen Sound. Jordan should be a lock. Now bringing in McDonald to shore up the center ice position should make it two. Leaves you with Hookey vs Stewart. Stewart is odd man out unless there's a market for Hookey. If somebody wants to pay something of value to Owen Sound for Hookey then I would be fine keeping Stewart. Don't quote me as I'm not an expert but I believe they can carry 4 OAs to the deadline and have to trim from 5 to 4 OAs late October ish?

leafsrdue

Oct 4, 2014
Is Barlow ok with coming to camp, then getting traded at the deadline? Not that he has a choice but the last thing this team needs is a grumpy superstar.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
His and sawyer boltons agent need big raises.
I don't really think that's so much the case as it's more the Matt Rempe response around the league. There's not many of that type out there anymore so there is a bit of a demand currently. Easier to tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat sort of deal. Stewart has never been shy about the physical side of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad