Owen Sound Attack 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Figured that Mikus would sign, they wouldn't take a 2007 born player without knowing if he was coming.

Also now that we have confirmation that both are headed to Owen Sound, that's great news. The defenceman seems like a future power play quarterback and the import sounds like a bit of a hidden gem.
I thought Mikus would sign but wasn't sure he'd sign before camp. I haven't lived in the region in awhile but the SIJHL isn't the best of leagues so you pretty well have to throw away the counting stats and focus on the tools to understand what translates to the OHL. I would think it's a promising sign if they want to put pen to paper with the player before camp.

I get the impression the Russian Varosyan isn't all that hidden but was more of a surprise in that he would come to North America from what I've seen. If the Attack can get him to come over that looks like a really big get or at least has the potential to be. Exciting tools/skillset seems to be the book on him. If both imports commit this would seem to be a potential banner day.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
I thought Mikus would sign but wasn't sure he'd sign before camp. I haven't lived in the region in awhile but the SIJHL isn't the best of leagues so you pretty well have to throw away the counting stats and focus on the tools to understand what translates to the OHL. I would think it's a promising sign if they want to put pen to paper with the player before camp.

I get the impression the Russian Varosyan isn't all that hidden but was more of a surprise in that he would come to North America from what I've seen. If the Attack can get him to come over that looks like a really big get or at least has the potential to be. Exciting tools/skillset seems to be the book on him. If both imports commit this would seem to be a potential banner day.
Hidden more due to the team that he was on seems to be poor and in the worst part of russia to scout.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Hidden more due to the team that he was on seems to be poor and in the worst part of russia to scout.
Fair enough. Definitely not in the easiest of places to get to. According to the write up, his goal is to come over for visibility with the goal of getting drafted. Can definitely accomplish that in Owen Sound. It will be exciting to get a look at him in camp.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
With 8 weeks till training camp starts this is going to be another interesting camp for players and fans alike.

There's definitely some interesting prospects at least from a statistical perspective coming into camp this year, and will be exciting to see what exactly there skill sets are in comparison to the returning roster that will make up the team.

The other exciting thing will be to see what this fresh new bench personnel can do to mold this roster into what our new HC's visions are. Coach Wray comes from what has been a very strong North Bay organization the past number of seasons with a competitive hockey and hopefully he can utilize the resources here to bring a similar result.

Until we actually see what this team can do in pre-season games I wouldn't put a huge expectation on where this team would end up in the standings. Along with the recent import draft where we have looked to have picked up a pair of interesting European players this roster on paper at least looks to be taking some shape.

It all starts in 8 weeks with rooke camp...

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
As was mentioned in the Greg Cowan article last week, Attack have now officially inked 4th round pick Easton Mikus(07).

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
As was mentioned in the Greg Cowan article last week, Attack have now officially inked 4th round pick Easton Mikus(07).

Thos os going to be a young squad . Very excited to watch the development of this group under Coach Wray and Staff.

Reactions: AttackRinkRat

cruickshankd

Jun 3, 2024
Just a quick offseason update so far:

Hired - HC Scott Wray, AC Brandon Shaw, AC Regan O'Grady

Signed - 1st round pick LW Pierce Mbuyi, 3rd round pick C Ethan Kindree, 3rd round pick LHD Elliot Arnett, 4th round pick C Easton Mikus

CHL Import Draft - LHD Max Bleicher(07), LW/RW Rafik Varosyan(07)
Love every bit of this!! Add in perhaps our 1st in the U18...lots of competition coming up...young team without any expectations coached by a young staff ..just what the doctor ordered!! Under 7 weeks

Last edited:

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Love every bit of this!! Add in perhaps our 1st in the U18...lots of competition coming up...young team without any expectations coach by a young staff ..just what the doctor ordered!! Under 7 weeks
I'm totally aligned with that, it's been a nice offseason so far. Get the pen to paper for the two imports and I really like the direction the team is headed in. I think two U18 picks, Trent Gates(07) and Braeden Van Gelder(07), both have a shot to make the team depending on how many D they choose to carry and what they end up doing with the OA group. Gates and Mikus are two wild cards to me as I think both demonstrated at a lower level that they can score, can they translate that to the OHL? If they can, that would be a huge boost to the Attack offense this year and in the years to come. Both kids are 17 and with the graduations at forward have the opportunity to grab some minutes early on if they can adapt to the league.

I think we have a pretty good idea of what the team looks like heading into camp but certainly lots to battle for in terms of playing time and roles. This should be a very fascinating camp come August for many reasons. Definitely feeling excited for Attack hockey!

Reactions: cruickshankd

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
Love every bit of this!! Add in perhaps our 1st in the U18...lots of competition coming up...young team without any expectations coached by a young staff ..just what the doctor ordered!! Under 7 weeks
Totally agree. I can't wait to see this team grow together. Unless Scott Wray has me totally fooled I see him as the prototypical players coach. I see a guy that once the players get to know him they will go through a wall for him.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Just playing around with some line combos and D-pairings and assuming Bleicher, Varosyan, Gates and Van Gelder sign, I think something like this would make sense:
1720706991546.png

To me, Tersigni and Waddick have something to prove this year and will likely be pushed by the younger players for their ice time and roles in the line up. Brennan would appear to be odd man out based on the pieces available at center. I could see them starting with four OAs while they sort things out with Guindon/Hookey/K.Smith. I think K.Smith is the logical piece to move early as his services will be in demand and we have more depth at D to cover the move. Guindon, Hookey and Jordan are the likely OAs in my opinion but maybe Stewart sticks around in the early part of the season if they plan to move Guindon early.

Defensively, I'd like to see the following to start:
1720707254221.png

G.Smith and Ethier are both essentially rookies again this year and I could see both Arnett and Van Gelder being options at times to rotate in. Dale may shy away from taking 8D again this year after G.Smith and Ethier sat in the stands for the majority of the season last year. I think taking 8D is fine provided the coaching staff has a plan in place to find them ice time. Overall, I really like the blueline. It's relatively young and inexperienced but I think there's a nice mix of pieces and some upside to work with. Hopefully this is the year Rogers finds his stride as he should slot in the top four this year.

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
Just playing around with some line combos and D-pairings and assuming Bleicher, Varosyan, Gates and Van Gelder sign, I think something like this would make sense:
View attachment 894096
To me, Tersigni and Waddick have something to prove this year and will likely be pushed by the younger players for their ice time and roles in the line up. Brennan would appear to be odd man out based on the pieces available at center. I could see them starting with four OAs while they sort things out with Guindon/Hookey/K.Smith. I think K.Smith is the logical piece to move early as his services will be in demand and we have more depth at D to cover the move. Guindon, Hookey and Jordan are the likely OAs in my opinion but maybe Stewart sticks around in the early part of the season if they plan to move Guindon early.

Defensively, I'd like to see the following to start:
View attachment 894098
G.Smith and Ethier are both essentially rookies again this year and I could see both Arnett and Van Gelder being options at times to rotate in. Dale may shy away from taking 8D again this year after G.Smith and Ethier sat in the stands for the majority of the season last year. I think taking 8D is fine provided the coaching staff has a plan in place to find them ice time. Overall, I really like the blueline. It's relatively young and inexperienced but I think there's a nice mix of pieces and some upside to work with. Hopefully this is the year Rogers finds his stride as he should slot in the top four this year.
Think you are fairly accurate with that, although I am sure Guindon will be in the AHL . He asked for a trade last year and word is that his heart isn't in OS. I still hear that Hookey is a possibility in Sarnia (his hometown). Stewart is a possibility , if the coach likes his style. I think they have already told Jordan he will be there. When does the Barlow trade happen? That could really shake things up

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Think you are fairly accurate with that, although I am sure Guindon will be in the AHL . He asked for a trade last year and word is that his heart isn't in OS. I still hear that Hookey is a possibility in Sarnia (his hometown). Stewart is a possibility , if the coach likes his style. I think they have already told Jordan he will be there. When does the Barlow trade happen? That could really shake things up
I can't see Guindon being in the AHL this year. I think he's back in the OHL but whether or not it's with Owen Sound is TBD. I think he's moved this year regardless as this is a pretty clear reset year for the Attack, just a matter of when. The team is a little thin on experience at center so they may not want to move him until closer to the deadline to help shelter the younger pieces behind him. I expect he'll be a pretty motivated player trying to earn a pro deal of some sort.

Barlow likely starts the year in Owen Sound and gets moved closer to the deadline. He could go end of November/early December if they decide they are fine with a pick heavy package or he goes in the window before the deadline when 08 born first rounders can be moved. I suspect Dale will be looking for a player in return so my gut leans towards the trade deadline. Some of the return package may be determined by what they are able to get for pieces like Konnor Smith and Guindon.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I can't see Guindon being in the AHL this year. I think he's back in the OHL but whether or not it's with Owen Sound is TBD. I think he's moved this year regardless as this is a pretty clear reset year for the Attack, just a matter of when. The team is a little thin on experience at center so they may not want to move him until closer to the deadline to help shelter the younger pieces behind him. I expect he'll be a pretty motivated player trying to earn a pro deal of some sort.

Barlow likely starts the year in Owen Sound and gets moved closer to the deadline. He could go end of November/early December if they decide they are fine with a pick heavy package or he goes in the window before the deadline when 08 born first rounders can be moved. I suspect Dale will be looking for a player in return so my gut leans towards the trade deadline. Some of the return package may be determined by what they are able to get for pieces like Konnor Smith and Guindon.
would think smith would be worth a 2nd and 3rd to start, gunidon 2, 3, and 4? guindon is not ahl ready, he would have been signed if he was.

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
would think smith would be worth a 2nd and 3rd to start, gunidon 2, 3, and 4? guindon is not ahl ready, he would have been signed if he was.
I think he is close, Montreal has no contracts left, only allowed 50, so I'm thinking it will be an AHL deal with someone other than the Habs

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Barlow trade should happen start of January so OS can get a 08 back

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
just my opinion,
For me, Guindon has to do one of two things this year to earn a pro deal. #1 would be establishing himself as a top level OHL scorer to demonstrate that he has top 6 potential at the next level or #2 would be showing that he could be an undersized 3/4C who can defend and kill penalties at the next level. In my opinion, it will be an uphill climb either way. I like him personally but realistically he'll have a tough time earning a pro deal. Maybe a big OA year translates to an AHL deal and he can work his way up to an NHL contract. I think he's a guy who will have to make it the hard way.

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
For me, Guindon has to do one of two things this year to earn a pro deal. #1 would be establishing himself as a top level OHL scorer to demonstrate that he has top 6 potential at the next level or #2 would be showing that he could be an undersized 3/4C who can defend and kill penalties at the next level. In my opinion, it will be an uphill climb either way. I like him personally but realistically he'll have a tough time earning a pro deal. Maybe a big OA year translates to an AHL deal and he can work his way up to an NHL contract. I think he's a guy who will have to make it the hard way.
That is a good assessment, I'm not sure it will be done in OS though

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I wonder if any team would make a splash for the duo of Guindon and Barlow at the deadline. Keep them together on the same team and you have a natural goal scorer with Barlow, and a great distributor with Guindon.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
I wonder if any team would make a splash for the duo of Guindon and Barlow at the deadline. Keep them together on the same team and you have a natural goal scorer with Barlow, and a great distributor with Guindon.
I think Guindon would need to have a good first half prior to the deadline for that to make sense. He should spend time with Barlow to open the season and if they work then maybe a team looks to plug and play the pair into their lineup? I would suspect the value on return would likely be better moving them separately but I'm certainly no expert in that regard.

Guindon had some pretty big swings last year in performance. Personally, I'd love to see what he looks like in a Scott Wray system/structure to see if they can get more out of him and potentially boost his trade stock. Based on the lack of depth behind Guindon at center I would think he's more likely to go at the deadline than preseason unless someone like Mikus or Gates surprises at camp. Behind Guindon would be Cormier who played 3C most of last season and would be a big bump for him to slot in at 1C this year as an 18 year old. Crawford would likely be the favorite at 2C behind Cormier and he's only heading into his 17 year old season. It's a big ask for the young guys to eat those minutes which is why I would suspect Guindon starts the year in Owen Sound.

Reactions: frontsfan67

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I think Guindon would need to have a good first half prior to the deadline for that to make sense. He should spend time with Barlow to open the season and if they work then maybe a team looks to plug and play the pair into their lineup? I would suspect the value on return would likely be better moving them separately but I'm certainly no expert in that regard.

Guindon had some pretty big swings last year in performance. Personally, I'd love to see what he looks like in a Scott Wray system/structure to see if they can get more out of him and potentially boost his trade stock. Based on the lack of depth behind Guindon at center I would think he's more likely to go at the deadline than preseason unless someone like Mikus or Gates surprises at camp. Behind Guindon would be Cormier who played 3C most of last season and would be a big bump for him to slot in at 1C this year as an 18 year old. Crawford would likely be the favorite at 2C behind Cormier and he's only heading into his 17 year old season. It's a big ask for the young guys to eat those minutes which is why I would suspect Guindon starts the year in Owen Sound.
Oh for sure I don’t think Cormier is #1 C yet. Only way he will get that this year is if/when Guindon is traded. I think he is ready for some more responsibility but if Barlow and guindon get traded the top of the roster is going to struggle LOTS to score goals.

Best case scenario for OS is getting an 08, 07 and lots of picks in a Barlow/Guindon trade and then a guy like Mbuyi surprises a lot of people with minutes and is up for the ROY playing in the top 6. Gonna be a rough second half of the season but atleast you guys have Carter George for now- he will really lessen the blow unless someone overpays like hell for him.

Votary back?

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Oh for sure I don’t think Cormier is #1 C yet. Only way he will get that this year is if/when Guindon is traded. I think he is ready for some more responsibility but if Barlow and guindon get traded the top of the roster is going to struggle LOTS to score goals.

Best case scenario for OS is getting an 08, 07 and lots of picks in a Barlow/Guindon trade and then a guy like Mbuyi surprises a lot of people with minutes and is up for the ROY playing in the top 6. Gonna be a rough second half of the season but atleast you guys have Carter George for now- he will really lessen the blow unless someone overpays like hell for him.

Votary back?
I wouldn't expect Votary back, no. The goalies will be George and Koprowski. I think the team should defend and keep pucks out of the net fairly well. If they play the right structure/systems then they may not have to light the lamp a whole lot. The challenge is getting the younger players ready for the increase in minutes and roles post deadline. Definitely need some of the younger players to play some big minutes this year and need a couple of them to probably feature fairly prominently in the offense. We'll get a pretty good idea of who those players might be pretty early on in the season I think.

Reactions: frontsfan67

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Honestly, in a perfect world for me, Barlow ends up in Flint this year and then while they’re rebuilding over the next two years Owen Sound is rolling and I can cheer for them in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad