Owen Sound Attack 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
they would probably trade for a cheap 04 to fill the gap. like savard for an 8th round pick last year.
I think if Guindon is not coming back, they have to tinker with the forward group. Definitely would need a veteran center to shelter the youth a bit but goal scoring could also be a struggle, especially once Barlow is moved. I think the D group should be solid, if unspectacular, along with elite goaltending but I'm not sure where the goals will come from at this point. They are going to need the younger players to contribute and the 17/18 year old players to take a step. Hopefully they can hit on the import picks.

Bonk

May 18, 2007
Cincinnati
Looking at making a trip to Owen Sound in early November to catch a couple games and was very sad to see Shorty's is closed. I absolutely loved that place -- Ted's in Meaford and Shorty's were must-hits anytime I came into town. Have any of you locals heard why it shut down?

And go Attack. Hope Barlow stays. Sorry to threadjack.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Looking at making a trip to Owen Sound in early November to catch a couple games and was very sad to see Shorty's is closed. I absolutely loved that place -- Ted's in Meaford and Shorty's were must-hits anytime I came into town. Have any of you locals heard why it shut down?

Bit of a long story. Mostly has to do with family drama stemming from a divorce.

Reactions: Bonk

AttackRinkRat

Apr 1, 2017

Shorty's is reopening under a different name and management. Shorty's Grill with Friends. They have a facebook page.

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
One time about 5 years ago, I followed the Kingston boys on a road trip, London, Guelph, Owen Sound and we stayed right at the rink. Comfort Inn or Best Western, they had a great menu there and it was full of OS fans going to the game.

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
HIRED✅

The Owen Sound Attack have named Reagan O'Grady as one of their assisting coaching staff for the 2024-25 hockey season.

"I'm super thankful for this opportunity to share what i've learned in the league as a player ad pass on my experiences to our team this year. I can't wait to get down to Owen Sound and meet the staff, players and the great fans at the Harry Lumley Bayshore Arena."

Welcome to the Bears Den Reagan!🐻

#owensoundattack #owensoundattacks #owensoundattackteam #owensoundattackhockey #hockeycoaching #hockeycoachinglife #hockeycoachingstaff #reaganogrady #attackstaff

Reactions: Section5Petes

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Shorty's is reopening under a different name and management. Shorty's Grill with Friends. They have a facebook page.
It will be a family restaurant NOT a nightspot like Shortys.
It'll be closed before Attack games are finished .

There is a new place that opened yesterday.
The Tipsy Fox Pub .
Maybe they will welcome sports fans ?

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
What does everyone think of the Attack's new coaching trio-
Scott Wray (North Bay Battalion )
Brandon Shaw(Niagara Ice Dogs,
Reagan O'Grady (Lindsay Muskies) ?

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017

Personally I love it. From Scott Wray's enthusiasm and attitude to what I've read about our 2 assistants I believe we have a group that are players coaches. If chemistry develops like I feel it will there could be a shorter learning curve then I've been expecting

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound

Without question, this is Scott Wray's bench. They've added two young lieutenants under him, Shaw with two years as an AC in the league already and O'Grady making his first stop in the league. Wray is very clearly the senior guy in this arrangement which I think is good for a first time Head Coach. I think it gives him the freedom to build and establish his vision without dissenting opinions that you might get with experienced assistant coaches. To me, Wray is set up to succeed and it's on him to build and shape his culture with the Attack, exactly how I think everyone wanted it. I'm happy with the end result but I think we'll see exactly what we have come camp and the regular season. Definitely adds some juice back into the team after last years conclusion.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Without question, this is Scott Wray's bench. They've added two young lieutenants under him, Shaw with two years as an AC in the league already and O'Grady making his first stop in the league. Wray is very clearly the senior guy in this arrangement which I think is good for a first time Head Coach. I think it gives him the freedom to build and establish his vision without dissenting opinions that you might get with experienced assistant coaches. To me, Wray is set up to succeed and it's on him to build and shape his culture with the Attack, exactly how I think everyone wanted it. I'm happy with the end result but I think we'll see exactly what we have come camp and the regular season. Definitely adds some juice back into the team after last years conclusion.
I for one am excited. This season may be the closest to a 'rebuild' we might see.

I'm looking forward to seeing a totally new staff, and how they will implement their vision .
How will the veterans respond ?

How will the rookies develop ?

Patience will be required from us all this
season .

Reactions: KFawcett

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Now the coaches are set for the season, we'll see how the season unfolds starting at training camp.

There should be a lot of raw talent coming in and the development side of the game will definitely be interesting to see how these coaches set their systems into this group. It will certainly start at training camp and will build from there.

If anything comes to mind is if this group buys in we should remain competitive hockey this season but to echo an earlier point patience is going to have to be required by fans. This certainly won't be like flipping a light switch fast but more a steady progression.

Looking forward to seeing this team start a new chapter in 2024-25.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
I for one am excited. This season may be the closest to a 'rebuild' we might see.

I'm looking forward to seeing a totally new staff, and how they will implement their vision .
How will the veterans respond ?

How will the rookies develop ?

Patience will be required from us all this
season .
Definitely different expectations this season for sure. Wins and losses take a back seat to process and player development. I think the mindset shifts a bit in the back half of the season as the team learns how to win.

Generally as fans I think patience is easier to keep when you can see the progression from the team and players in their growth and development. This will be a process no doubt and results won't come overnight but I think as long as the group keeps taking steps over the course of the season they will be exciting to watch.

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
Definitely different expectations this season for sure. Wins and losses take a back seat to process and player development. I think the mindset shifts a bit in the back half of the season as the team learns how to win.

Generally as fans I think patience is easier to keep when you can see the progression from the team and players in their growth and development. This will be a process no doubt and results won't come overnight but I think as long as the group keeps taking steps over the course of the season they will be exciting to watch.
I think as fans go, you guys could be at the top of the list. I hope this new regime has the ability that is required.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
This is Scotts bench but he mentioned that his first year in N.B Stan gave him a ton of responsibility and he believes that is the best way. A.C. don't progress under a H.C that doesn't allow them to do anything so I'm expecting when a little trust is built our A.C's will play a pretty active role. He also said ALL players need to play and it's on him to make sure the rookies can play. He did throw an 8-10 mins/gm # out but I wouldn't hold him to that if it's to much to start. He also alluded to his belief that if your on the team your equal none of the rookies sitting by themselves in a restaurant or anything like that. All in all I'm excited to watch this staff grow along with the younger team and see everyone become the best they can be.

Reactions: Stellar29

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
This is Scotts bench but he mentioned that his first year in N.B Stan gave him a ton of responsibility and he believes that is the best way. A.C. don't progress under a H.C that doesn't allow them to do anything so I'm expecting when a little trust is built our A.C's will play a pretty active role. He also said ALL players need to play and it's on him to make sure the rookies can play. He did throw an 8-10 mins/gm # out but I wouldn't hold him to that if it's to much to start. He also alluded to his belief that if your on the team your equal none of the rookies sitting by themselves in a restaurant or anything like that. All in all I'm excited to watch this staff grow along with the younger team and see everyone become the best they can be.
Glad that a lot of these new coaches are coming in and replacing antiquated ways of running teams. Hopefully that trickles down to the NHL in due time. They can only recycle the same set of coaches for so long.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
That's certainly an important point, it's not just player development but also about developing the young coaches. It will be up to Scott to delegate certain things and cede some level of control to his staff. Ultimately the key decision making will fall to Scott.

I'd love to see the rookies actually play. I hate seeing the rookies stapled to the bench in the third period as has been a bit of the norm the past couple years. A key part of development is playing and experiencing those tough third periods where games are often decided whether it's protecting a lead or chasing the tying goal. There has to be a bit of a tolerance, at least early in the season, for mistakes as that is part of the learning experience. You can't have a scenario where the young players are afraid to make mistakes as it's a good way to hurt their confidence and potentially negatively impact their games. I think this is all part of the process for teaching a team how to win games.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
This is Scotts bench but he mentioned that his first year in N.B Stan gave him a ton of responsibility and he believes that is the best way. A.C. don't progress under a H.C that doesn't allow them to do anything so I'm expecting when a little trust is built our A.C's will play a pretty active role. He also said ALL players need to play and it's on him to make sure the rookies can play. He did throw an 8-10 mins/gm # out but I wouldn't hold him to that if it's too much to start. He also alluded to his belief that if your on the team your equal none of the rookies sitting by themselves in a restaurant or anything like that. All in all I'm excited to watch this staff grow along with the younger team and see everyone become the best they can be.
All ages of the battalion hang out together off-ice. They seem to be a very tight knit group and best of friends for it.

Bardown99

Jan 20, 2024
Now the coaches are set for the season, we'll see how the season unfolds starting at training camp.

There should be a lot of raw talent coming in and the development side of the game will definitely be interesting to see how these coaches set their systems into this group. It will certainly start at training camp and will build from there.

If anything comes to mind is if this group buys in we should remain competitive hockey this season but to echo an earlier point patience is going to have to be required by fans. This certainly won't be like flipping a light switch fast but more a steady progression.

Looking forward to seeing this team start a new chapter in 2024-25.
Where and who's the goalie coach if all are set?

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
All ages of the battalion hang out together off-ice. They seem to be a very tight knit group and best of friends for it.
Scott actually mentioned that in his presser here. He mentioned the emergency back up for Dom and walking in on his first day with the team and a few players talking with him like he had been there for years.

Reactions: dirty12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad