Prospect Info: Owen Beck

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

03HockeyFan

Mar 5, 2019
Pardon my ignorance but what about Beck’s game made him be picked over Luca Del Bel Belluz? They both play centre, about the same size (Edge to Belluz), on the same team and Belluz oustscored Beck by about 25 points while playing the same amount of games (68).
Del Bel had a full season on Beck (03 vs 04 birth year). Beck is physically more developed and a vastly better skater. Beck also played with lower grade line mates and saw less ice time than Del Bel. When you normalize for ice time and opportunity / line mates, you realize Beck is likely the better player statistically.

Beck is rock solid, and if I was drafting, I would pick him over Del Bel on every day that ends with a Y.

For context, I am a Steelheads fan and watched every game this season. Picking Beck over Del Bel is a no brainer.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
We pick a guy with these characteristics every year and none have panned out thus far. Let's hope he breaks the trend. Granted we typically pick these guys later on so they have a low chance to make it to begin with.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Really like this pick and the guy has upside too contrary to most comments on him being a 3c at most. Really good value pick at 33
I saw him as middle 6 projection with more probability of being a very good 3rd line center.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Pardon my ignorance but what about Beck’s game made him be picked over Luca Del Bel Belluz? They both play centre, about the same size (Edge to Belluz), on the same team and Belluz oustscored Beck by about 25 points while playing the same amount of games (68).

''He plays the right way.'' One of those guys.

I am so-so on this pick, because he's not a player that brings you out of your seat every game. But on the other hand he has very high end skating, and a powerful wrist shot. I think his best offensive potential might actually be on the wing because of these traits.

Reactions: fanfromnv and Doc5

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
I wanted Firkus, BUT....

Bobrov's reasoning on picking Beck is solid, and I agree.

He's a Center with good size who does everything right... good size at 6ft, too, good speed.

Good pick, and many had him as a 1st round pick too.
Beck and Schaefer were two of the main forwards I wanted us to take at 26 and 33. I figured we'd go fwd and RD

Reactions: dralaf

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
I'm sure Slaf will be good, but two way centers are so sore and valuable that the risk/reward of passing on Wright makes little sense at all to me.

I would have loved it if we traded #13, #26, #33, next year's Florida 1st (and to behest ever other pick in this draft if needed), to move up to #2, #3, or #4 to select Wright as well. Now that would be a good draft.

Kirby Dach is fine but he is 21 now and his potential is lower than in once was. The sky is still the limit for Wright.
I was so hoping this was the case. We could have traded everything you said, hell id throw in the rest of this draft to Seattle for picking Wright.

It was perfectly lined up.. and if our draft was just 2 players; Slaf and Wright : it would have been our greatest draft ever.

I just dont get the love (time and effort) to care about any player above rnd 1. All are minimum 3 years away, and then another 3 years to reach "potential". Most are never going to sniff the NHL.

Of the very small amount that do make it, Majority at best will be bottom 6 F, 5+ D...

Imo, teams are better served each year to trade all their picks to target the one player they need. All the others can be had through trade, waivers, free agency etc..

In this draft we landed Slaf, Dach, and a bunch of pipe dreams. I believe we could have drafted Slaf and Wright with some more will and creativity.

I know NBA has smaller benches, but they have it right with 2 round draft.
7 rounds is an outright joke.

This doesnt mean we cant have the greatest development program, and i understand the need to have AHL ECHL teams... just think there should be a U18 2 round draft (NHL), and anyone not drafted become free agents to sign where they please.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tripledeke333

NicRattlehead

Mar 5, 2021
Houston, TX
Very well put! We display more passion than any other fan base, sometimes overly critical, sometimes overly sympathetic but always from our hearts! Go Habs Go!!!!
Honestly that is what drew me to the team. I’m from a small town in Northwest Florida and visited Montreal years ago for Grand Prix weekend and was enamored by the passion of the Canadiens fans in Montreal about their team and about Hockey in general. I started watching games when the season started and I haven’t stopped since.

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005

I am so-so on this pick, because he's not a player that brings you out of your seat every game. But on the other hand he has very high end skating, and a powerful wrist shot. I think his best offensive potential might actually be on the wing because of these traits.
Neither does Lehkonen and look how important he was to Colorado's Cup win.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

He is a 100% pure center.

He reads the ice well and is defensively responsible as well as being the top faceoff guy in the OHL. He is also really sturdy and will only get stronger as well as being one of the very best skaters in the draft.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
He is a 100% pure center.

He reads the ice well and is defensively responsible as well as being the top faceoff guy in the OHL. He is also really sturdy and will only get stronger as well as being one of the very best skaters in the draft.

Just sayin'. Right now we've got Suzuki and Dach, god willing we'll also get Bedard or Carlsson or Fantilli, those spots look pretty taken. Lots of room on the wing for a guy who can skate and shoot like him, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad