Prospect Info: Owen Beck

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
SEA, WSH is killing that draft damnnnn
How’s that??

Not gonna lie, I absolute hate that we passed on Wright as his potential/ceiling as a two way center is much more than Slaf.

I'd be fine with Slaf if Wright was gone when we picked.

IMO all the typical excuses for passing on Wright are absolute BS. You don't get to be as good as Wright does at a young age without drive. He just plays a smart cerebral game and is not flashy. Management is also overweighting a weird Covid year. Wright did very well and he prob also has the best shot in the draft.

I sound like a hater. Typically I am not. I just think the risk/reward of passing on Wright makes no sense at all.
We passed on Wright…..

Then Jersey passed on Wright…..

Then ARIZONA passed on Wright….

Think we’ll be fine with Slaf who I’m CONVINCED nobody is passing on had we not selected him.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
If Beck becomes a Cirelli or Danault level player then that is pretty damn good. How easy is it to trade for that caliber of player?

The answer is that it is significantly more difficult than trading for your typical top six winger, and significantly more difficult than trading for a Sam Girard, which is Lane Hutson's reasonable upside. Beck's upside is not lower.
100% your subjective, biased opinion. Don’t state things like this as facts.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
How’s that??

We passed on Wright…..

Then Jersey passed on Wright…..

Then ARIZONA passed on Wright….

Think we’ll be fine with Slaf who I’m CONVINCED nobody is passing on had we not selected him.
Well SEA got Wright, Firkus, Nyman,Nelson, Goyette, WSH Miroshichnenko Chesley Suzdalev Persson, I consider that a pretty strong draft. Also BUF with Savoie Ostlund Kulich, Leinonen, Lindgren is a big winner

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
What if... Beck becomes the best C in the draft?:pcheer: never say never

Another prospect to claim the Habs asked the hard questions.

Their meeting was a little bit harder than others (teams),” said Beck. ” I told them I was a little bit shocked that they picked me, that you were asking the hard questions. But they said I answered them well and they were happy to have me. So I’m happy to be here.”

Expos94

May 13, 2022
I'd be happy with Slaf if lost the lottery Wright was gone by the time we picked.

Wright has all the tools to become a Bergeron/Kopitar/Zibenijad player by the time he is 23. At 18, he is better than many other star centers were at the same age.

My point is that as two way centers are much more impactful than wings, passing on Wright truly is a bet that Wright will fail more the Slaf will succeed, and there is nothing based on Wright's play to suggest that.

Sure, Slaf had an awesome Olympics, and Wright was not as good as people expected, but people expected Wright to be a franchise/borderline generational talent. Wright has all the tools to become a top center in the NHL and in 5 years time, his "kinda okay" junior season will be a distant memory.
I was hoping we d pick Wright btw . So you re preaching to the choir. But maybe we were wrong and slaf is going to be more valuable in the end . We just don't know. But I definitely would have preferred another top end center . Can MSL get Dach going? I wouldn't bet against it . Let's see what happens 🤞

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I say to myself I would have rather traded 26 (Mesar), 33 (Beck), and one of our D prospects from Norlinder, Struble, amd Fairbrother to SanJose for 11, amd then used 11 to get Dach instead of Romanov.

But, I remember after we drafted Romanov with an early 2nd that I would have rather traded the pick for some player that turned out to not be nearly as good as Romanov...

no way imo. Norlinder could be an All Star or worse then Niku, I'm not taking that risk and trading him until I am sure he's not going to break out. Not giving up Mesar, Beck and Norlinder over Romanov, a 3rd and 4th. No freaking way, not even remotely close but I have been saying since the WJC's that Hab fans were overrated Romanov. He's a solid bottom pairing D on a playoff team.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
You made similar assertions as facts in your comment, only they were uninformed.
I didn't present my opinions as facts. I said "likely". There's a difference. And again, "uninformed" is 100% your biased, subjective opinion.

Tripledeke333

Jun 25, 2021
I was hoping we d pick Wright btw . So you re preaching to the choir. But maybe we were wrong and slaf is going to be more valuable in the end . We just don't know. But I definitely would have preferred another top end center . Can MSL get Dach going? I wouldn't bet against it . Let's see what happens 🤞

I'm sure Slaf will be good, but two way centers are so sore and valuable that the risk/reward of passing on Wright makes little sense at all to me.

I would have loved it if we traded #13, #26, #33, next year's Florida 1st (and to behest ever other pick in this draft if needed), to move up to #2, #3, or #4 to select Wright as well. Now that would be a good draft.

Kirby Dach is fine but he is 21 now and his potential is lower than in once was. The sky is still the limit for Wright.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

I am a fan! Kid's got wheels. And he can fire that puck. Has made some beauty passes to set up his teammates for a goal.

One of my favorite parts is @ 6:33 when he flying through, pulls the deke, gets tripped, draws the penalty, but he didn't just stay down. He got up right away and kept the play going and his teammate ended up scoring the goal.

He comes off as someone who won't just be fast and skilled, but also tenacious. You need these guys in your line-up.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
What if... Beck becomes the best C in the draft?:pcheer: never say never

Another prospect to claim the Habs asked the hard questions.

On sheer gut feeling, he could turn out to be our best pick of the draft. Which probably means both of Slaf under performing and Beck being something akin to a #2C which would be a HUGE win for him. Very very upmost of his potential I'd imagine. Just have a good feeling about him

• Wow
Reactions: DailyKaizen

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
I wanted Firkus, BUT....

Bobrov's reasoning on picking Beck is solid, and I agree.

He's a Center with good size who does everything right... good size at 6ft, too, good speed.

Good pick, and many had him as a 1st round pick too.

Reactions: Toene and Expos94

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
It’s any board in any sport. Honestly the most disheartening thing is if you are a fan of a team where nobody comments or cares about anything. The fact that people complain about the picks and there is so much interest speaks to how much we care as Canadiens fans. I think it’s actually a positive thing (although I’m not complaining at all personally).
Very well put! We display more passion than any other fan base, sometimes overly critical, sometimes overly sympathetic but always from our hearts! Go Habs Go!!!!

Reactions: NicRattlehead

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Saw this on Twitter. Looks nice!

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 38

Ad

Upcoming events