Ovechkin top 10 player of all time?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Ovechkin rocketing up the all time list and Footnote Crosby being so irrelevant even Pens fans won't talk about him and would rather crowd GOATvechkin threads as he drops hat trick after hat trick.

Lol.

geoo9

Mar 15, 2013
rusland
Sid had Malkin all these years-such underrated top player who was excluded by top 100 of history without reason. Ovie had Backstrom who was nowhere near Malkin - especially at PO perfomance when Malkin makes impact similar to Sid if not bigger.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
About Ovy's not making his teammates better... If we count that 1 goal gives 2 assists, then, over their career:

Ovy generated 1966 points (1.73ppg) for teammates.
Crosby generated 1700 points (1.75ppg) for teammates.

So, Crosby is 1.1% better at it. Though, Ovy gave 266 points more overall, which is better.

I would like to hear from Ovy haters that Crosby generated more goals for teammates, and goals are better than assists :)

Last edited:
Reactions: enj92 and Sentinel

FinRanger

Jan 15, 2013
Not even close to top 10. Only 1.12 points per game. Don't care how many of his point totals are goals. He is very selfish player and many times makes the wrong decision to shoot.

Crosby makes the right play more often and that is why he is miles ahead in point totals and has 1.29 points per game.

And we did not even touch the defensive side of things..

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
Not even close to top 10. Only 1.12 points per game. Don't care how many of his point totals are goals. He is very selfish player and many times makes the wrong decision to shoot.

Crosby makes the right play more often and that is why he is miles ahead in point totals and has 1.29 points per game.

Point totals? Who do you think has more points?

Reactions: Sentinel

FinRanger

Jan 15, 2013
Point totals? Who do you think has more points?
Irrelevant comment. Ovechkin has played like 200 games more. So you think every player who has more points than Lemiuex is actually better than Lemiuex. Complete non sense comment from you. Get lost.

Reactions: sanscosm

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
Irrelevant comment. Ovechkin has played like 200 games more. So you think every player who has more points than Lemiuex is actually better than Lemiuex. Complete non sense comment from you. Get lost.
You cite point totals in your post. Hence the question.

I'll leave you to have this argument with yourself.

Zuluss

May 19, 2011
Crosby makes the right play more often and that is why he is miles ahead in point totals

So now being 23 career points behind is being "miles ahead" :laugh:
If you look at primary points over their careers, Ovechkin is a full 100 ahead (1049 vs. 949). It would take Crosby almost 1.5 seasons to close the gap.
So no, Crosby is not suddenly close to OV in career offensive production just because Crosby is a C and touches the puck more often on the cycle, thereby getting 2nd assists.
Ovechkin is routinely voted over players who have more points both in Hart and All-star voting, and by a large margin. And yes, that includes Crosby - just check out 14/15 or 17/18.
There are many players in the league who can collect a good amount of points. There is only one player to score you 50 goals every season - and this is Ovechkin.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sentinel

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
You literally said that Crosby is way ahead in point totals. It's like saying that a 5'11 player is taller that a 6'2 player because he played fewer games lol.

FinRanger

Jan 15, 2013
You literally said that Crosby is way ahead in point totals. It's like saying that a 5'11 player is taller that a 6'2 player because he played fewer games lol.
Why are you all acting like fools? You know what I mean. Just look at the games played. Almost 200 games more for Ovechkin

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Why are you all acting like fools? You know what I mean. Just look at the games played. Almost 200 games more for Ovechkin
You are being ridiculous. More "games played" is not a flaw, it's a benefit. You're no use to your team if you are sitting in a press box.

You can hate Ovechkin all you want, but the consensus shift is already well underway. Ovy > Sid.

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
This marks the second fewest games Ovechkin has played to reach the 40 goal mark (53 games). His fewest games to reach the 40 goal mark in his career came in the 2007-08 (52 games). Ovechkin was 22 years old at the time. Ovechkin has passed Marcel Dionne & Mario Lemieux for the 2nd most career 40+ goal seasons in NHL history (11. Most: 12- Wayne Gretzky)

Yes, yes he is. This is coming from a Penguins fan, only an idiot would not put him in top-10.

Reactions: Zuluss

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017

lol... kid, Ovechkin could be top 3 goal scoring forward all time. You do not care about goals? ha ha

FinRanger

Jan 15, 2013
lol... kid, Ovechkin could be top 3 scoring forward all time. You do not care about goals? ha ha
I care but not as much as lots of buffoons here. I care more how big of an impact certain player has for his team's success.

GreatGonzo

May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
You can’t be impactful for your team or the “better” player if you aren’t actually playing. Much like you aren’t playing you can’t contribute offensively. Ovechkin playing more games shouldn’t be held against him, because those are still more games where he contributed to his team and actually had a chance to make an impact.

GreatGonzo

May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
I care but not as much as lots of buffoons here. I care more how big of an impact certain player has for his team's success.
So his goal scoring has never made an impact on his team in a positive way? They haven’t won more games because of it? They haven’t been a top competitive team because of it? They didn’t win a Stanley cup partly due to Ovechkins goal scoring?

You say you care more about the impact and yet ignore the impact his goal scoring has had for his teams success.

FinRanger

Jan 15, 2013
So his goal scoring has never made an impact on his team in a positive way? They haven’t won more games because of it? They haven’t been a top competitive team because of it? They didn’t win a Stanley cup partly due to Ovechkins goal scoring?

You say you care more about the impact and yet ignore the impact his goal scoring has had for his teams success.

Why you make this a hyperbole? I did not say his goal scoring did not have any impact. Of course it had lot of impact. But Crosby has had bigger impact. 1.12 vs 1.29. Crosby is much better but has had worse luck with injuries. Just like Lemieux was better than Messier. Lemieux just had worse luck with missing games.

Crosby makes the optimal decision on ice more often than Ovechkin. Ovechkin spams shots. Not to say it is the worst decision in any situation but even with his great shot sometimes it is not the optimal decision. That is why Crosby has more points per game.

GreatGonzo

May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Why you make this a hyperbole? I did not say his goal scoring did not have any impact. Of course it had lot of impact. But Crosby has had bigger impact. 1.12 vs 1.29. Crosby is much better but has had worse luck with injuries. Just like Lemieux was better than Messier. Lemieux just had worse luck with missing games.

Crosby makes the optimal decision on ice more often than Ovechkin. Ovechkin spams shots. Not to say it is the worst decision in any situation but even with his great shot sometimes it is not the optimal decision. That is why Crosby has more points per game.
How did Crosby make more of an impact playing less games? Your confusing “better” with “impactful.” Crosby being better than Ovechkin has nothing to do with their impacts on their team, and Crosby certainly can’t make an impact on his own team not playing, right?

No one claimed Messier was better than Lemieux, although Messier has more cups because he played more games and was able to contribute to his team, that can be said more or less, doesn’t make him better, but Messier played more games, thus contributing more, thus having the chance of making a positive impact. Basic stuff.

Again you claim hyperbole yet make such subjective and opinionated statements like “Crosby makes better decisions.” Based on what exactly? So Ovechkin shooting the puck isn’t the best decision.....even though he’s a goal scorer.....and has one of the best shots.....and has more goals than anyone.....and yet in your expertise, it’s NOT the right decision.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Bobby Orr is in the top 4, so clearly there isn't too much of a premium on games played.

A way to think about is, looking at a modern lineup, the top 10 should have 6 forwards, a goalie, and 3 defensemen. Is Ovechkin one of the top 6 forwards of all time? After the obvious 3, off the top of my head, I'd still put at least Hull, Yzerman, and Crosby ahead of him.

Big picture, what hurts Ovechkin is that in a big playoff game, there are way too many guys I take over Ovechkin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad