Ovechkin passes Crosby for 17th all-time in points

ovie62

Jan 23, 2010
16. Teemu Selanne 1457 Points
17. Alex Ovechkin 1455 Points
18. Sidney Crosby 1452 Points

What Alex Ovechkin is accomplishing this year as a 37 year old is nothing short of amazing. I remember years ago, fans said that there was no chance Ovechkin could pass Crosby in total points. Here we are years later and Ovechkin's longevity and dominance has allowed to surpass one of the greats at scoring points. With the Capitals recent run, don't be surprised to hear Ovechkin mentioned as the MVP soon. No Backstrom, No Tom Wilson, No TJ Oshie. He is still leading the Capitals to the playoffs without any of his highly paid supporting cast.

tabness

be a playa
Apr 4, 2014
1672532998279.jpeg

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
16. Teemu Selanne 1457 Points
17. Alex Ovechkin 1455 Points
18. Sidney Crosby 1452 Points

What Alex Ovechkin is accomplishing this year as a 37 year old is nothing short of amazing. I remember years ago, fans said that there was no chance Ovechkin could pass Crosby in total points. Here we are years later and Ovechkin's longevity and dominance has allowed to surpass one of the greats at scoring points. With the Capitals recent run, don't be surprised to hear Ovechkin mentioned as the MVP soon. No Backstrom, No Tom Wilson, No TJ Oshie. He is still leading the Capitals to the playoffs without any of his highly paid supporting cast.
Jinx thread

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Just for curiosity sake, I’d love to see how many days Ovechkin has led in points during their careers. Feels like it’s been at least 80% of the time since they both stepped out onto the ice on that fateful night of October 5, 2005.

Paxton Fettel

Mar 3, 2006
Sid caught Ovy a few years ago and was supposed to blow by him leaving him in his dust according to HF experts...

Reactions: Randyne

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Just for curiosity sake, I’d love to see how many days Ovechkin has led in points during their careers. Feels like it’s been at least 80% of the time since they both stepped out onto the ice on that fateful night of October 5, 2005.
To quote myself from another thread, as of mid April 2022 (when Crosby reached 1,400 points - a few days after Ovechkin):

Who was in the lead each day?
  • Total days that have passed since October 1st, 2005: 6,036
  • Number of days Ovechkin has been in the lead: 5,058 (83.8%)
  • Number of days Crosby has been in the lead: 933 (15.5%)
  • Tied: 45 (0.7%)
The lead "situation" (ie Ovechkin ahead, Crosby ahead, or a tie) has switched more than 40 times heading into this season (and I know it's changed a few times so far this year). It's probably not necessary for a new thread to be created every time one of them pulls ahead.

Last edited:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
The best ability is availability.

You don’t get dinged for staying healthier

That’s true, but they both contributed to their teams on the score sheet the same amount of times. I wish Ovi was further ahead, but his down years pulled his career numbers down a bit.

Calderon

Mar 24, 2006
...He's played 160 less games. He'd be ~200 points ahead of they had the similar games played.
However accurate this may be, that doesn't negate the fact that it's in question: a plethora of Crosby fans touted him at Ovi's expense in terms of point production for the rest of their respective careers. Crosby simply hasn't been able to shake Ovi off, let alone leave him in the dust.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
No Backstrom, No Tom Wilson, No TJ Oshie. He is still leading the Capitals to the playoffs without any of his highly paid supporting cast.

Might have to do with the Caps sheltering Ovechkin in competition and starts. He has only 14 defensive zone starts this season at ES

Bowski

GO LEAFS GO!
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
There's already a much bigger and more popular milestone thread about these type of records. 30th career hattrick is nothing to sneeze at.

Celebrating 2 more points in 3 more games over another player on the season seems a bit capricious and arbitrary.

...wait a minute
oviposter.jpg

Nice try dude.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad