Out of Town Thread - New Year's Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
Look like the folks from TSN finally lost it...

"O'Reilly excited to have OT-hero Nylander on his flank
After witnessing William Nylander's brilliance in overtime on Friday, Ryan O'Reilly will now get the privledge of playing alongside the Swede, as the Sheldon Keefe juggled things up a bit on Saturday. The team was also still marveling at Nylander's OT-winner against the Wild."

They probably left the typo on "privilege" because they couldn't contain their excitement.
I think they're just preparing their ledges to throw themselves off of when they inevitably lose in the first round.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
The return is so insane for a 3rd liner that there has to be an explanation.

First of all, Tampa identified a player they liked and thought would fit their group like a glove, as they did a few times in the past and it worked out pretty well for them. The picks are late and won't really affect their current window. They're in win-now mode with Stamkos, Hedman, Kuch getting older.

Secondly, and this is a bit of a conspiracy theory on my part : with such a return for a 3rd liner, Tampa just set the market for decent roster player (and the Meier trade barely offsets this because I believe Sharks got quite a haul for him). So from now on until deadline, all the other contenders who want to upgrade their bottom-9 will have to trade with salivating GMs who just saw Jeannot get the moon and took note. More competitive bids are coming. Considering that 2023 first-rounders are more valuable most years, some GMs may not pull the trigger on deals that wouldve been more affordable yesterday. Can't wait to see if it has an effect on the potential NYR P.Kane deal

Not a bad take. Clearly, Tampa has proven, and have won, that when they want a player and think he'Ll fit right in, they don't care what they give. Especially in picks. Because what they'Ll happen to be doing is win when they can, and go back at tanking 08-13 style, and come back in.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Tampa’s game is not exactly moneyball but it’s similar: they look for the optimal caphit and pay premium trade prices to fill depth roles if it supports them for multiple season campaigns. They pay premium wages to premium players and work diligently to support them with low-cap but skilled depth.

It’s the best way to build a team but not too many teams have so much skill that they can feel confident to trade futures for cost controlled depth… meanwhile Habs fans are so used to having little skill we have fans who refuse to entertain the notion of swapping magic beans for established skilled players!

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Tampa’s game is not exactly moneyball but it’s similar: they look for the optimal caphit and pay premium trade prices to fill depth roles if it supports them for multiple season campaigns. They pay premium wages to premium players and work diligently to support them with low-cap but skilled depth.

It’s the best way to build a team but not too many teams have so much skill that they can feel confident to trade futures for cost controlled depth… meanwhile Habs fans are so used to having little skill we have fans who refuse to entertain the notion of swapping magic beans for established skilled players!

Like for Hagel TB is not afraid to pay a premium for a contract. Jeannot is RFA next summer and right now is paid 850 000. Should not be too hard to convince him to sign 1 or 2 years for a raise that is good but not too much. They are depleting their prospects pool and will have to rebuild eventually but they are not messing around when it comes to adding guys to win cups. They are not aiming for the Martinsen type of addition ...

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
I hope they get bounced in the first round and Bergeron and Krejci retire, then Pastrnak leaves via free agency.
So you and a heap ''hope'' for this? ok lol. No clue how this pertains to what I was saying about the great deal the bruins are getting from Kreci and Bergeron though unless we are just sharing hopes,if so, I hope that the aprox 20cm gouge incurred to my peter johnson has no lingering repercussions. lol.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Like for Hagel TB is not afraid to pay a premium for a contract. Jeannot is RFA next summer and right now is paid 850 000. Should not be too hard to convince him to sign 1 or 2 years for a raise that is good but not too much. They are depleting their prospects pool and will have to rebuild eventually but they are not messing around when it comes to adding guys to win cups. They are not aiming for the Martinsen type of addition ...
Jeannot has arbitration rights and he can point at Josh Anderson at the same age range seasons as a comparable. That age range is the two seasons before Josh got his $5.5mx7 contract. Jeannot will get less than Andy, but I doubt it's under $3m, unless he takes a discount.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
McDavid with #49 against the Bruins
Genuinely makes me mad how Ken Holland is so conservative. If I were him I would have had Saros, Ekholm AND Chychrun right now. Pretty confident you win a cup by adding those 3 to the McJesus Oilers.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
McDavid with #49 against the Bruins
...and then he was brutal on the go ahead goal. He should be much better than that on the Dside of the puck. It's like he wants to do everything himself and ends up chasing the puck. Turns the puck over at the blue races back in plenty of time. Leaves his man Foligno to chase the pass Foligno is then left alone. WTF

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
50 goals for McDavid.
That’s why I think Holland is going for broke this deadline - McDavid having a career season and Western Conf is wide open for the taking.

If he doesn’t land Chychrun, I think HuGo will be the deal partners

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
They should skip this year's Awards Ceremony. It's simpler to give them all to McJesus.

Selke? McDavid.
Norris? McDavid.
Jenning? McDavid.
Vezina? McDavid.
Jack Adams? McDavid.
General Manager of the Year? McDavid.

I'm willing to let someone else win the Calder.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Getting McJesus to pump is own tires is mission impossible why even try :laugh:

Just ask him questions about the game

Beauviller & McDavid are on hat trick watch.

DXlh5hbBngeAsOY-ZCdiho8l1SP5bmib2q5JxA4rEMg.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad