Out of Town Thread - New Year's Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Not good news for Makar.

Here's the collision and it isn't event that major of one.

Really a shame such a talented kid is hurt again. This wasn't a failure of the NHL and there's no rule that could've prevented this. This appears to be a failure of the team's medical staff to judge Makar's initial recovery. I'm not accusing them of negligence, but there's an obvious knowledge-gap in how a brain recovers from concussions. Makar thought he was ready, the staff agreed, but they were both wrong.

Whatever protocols are used to determine when a player is good to go needs a serious rethink. If it's impossible to judge, err on the side of more caution.

Reactions: ReHabs and Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Really a shame such a talented kid is hurt again. This wasn't a failure of the NHL and there's no rule that could've prevented this. This appears to be a failure of the team's medical staff to judge Makar's initial recovery. I'm not accusing them of negligence, but there's an obvious knowledge-gap in how a brain recovers from concussions. Makar thought he was ready, the staff agreed, but they were both wrong.

Whatever protocols are used to determine when a player is good to go needs a serious rethink. If it's impossible to judge, err on the side of more caution.
Crazy how times have changed. In 1979 game 7 Yvon Lambert was pasted helmet-less into the glass by Mike Milbury. His head hit the glass and he was clearly concussed. So how did things play out? Lambert was back the next period, still without a helmet and scores the OT GW.

Makar is as exciting as McDavid and I hope he doesn't have lingering effects. I would sit him for the rest of the year.

Reactions: Lshap

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Crazy how times have changed. In 1979 game 7 Yvon Lambert was pasted helmet-less into the glass by Mike Milbury. His head hit the glass and he was clearly concussed. So how did things play out? Lambert was back the next period, still without a helmet and scores the OT GW.

Makar is as exciting as McDavid and I hope he doesn't have lingering effects. I would sit him for the rest of the year.
Yeah, back then when a player was hit in the head, the medical evaluation was, "Looks like he got his bell rung!". Long before concussion protocols existed, players who got hit in the head were expected to play through it. Were they tougher or more stupid? Was equipment that much softer and skating that much slower? Are generations of ex-players walking around with brain damage, or did most of them recover?

Hopefully, medical technology is catching up to concussions in the same way it did with knee surgery. Right now, it still seems like a guessing game.

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Yeah, back then when a player was hit in the head, the medical evaluation was, "Looks like he got his bell rung!". Long before concussion protocols existed, players who got hit in the head were expected to play through it. Were they tougher or more stupid? Was equipment that much softer and skating that much slower? Are generations of ex-players walking around with brain damage, or did most of them recover?

Hopefully, medical technology is catching up to concussions in the same way it did with knee surgery. Right now, it still seems like a guessing game.
How many times did we hear a broadcaster say "he got his bell rung"? Crazy how only 20 years ago medical technology was this primitive when dealing with concussions.

Reactions: amethyst and Lshap

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
LTIR space opened up for Toronto to the tune of 5.6m
They are already using it so no windfall. would be a problem if he had to come back. currently they have 4.4M of LTIR space available - mainly from Murray being on LTIR. To bring Murray back they will need that 4.4M plus the 766K they get for sending Woll down. Less Murrays hit leaves them about 500K of LTIR space available

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
On the Oilers last goal Draisaitl got his 700 career point and McDavid got his 800 career point on the goal

Excited to see them exceed 2 playoff ppg this year on their way to a dazzling 2nd round exit

…who really knows with the west this year. It might be the weakest conference in NHL history

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
They are already using it so no windfall. would be a problem if he had to come back. currently they have 4.4M of LTIR space available - mainly from Murray being on LTIR. To bring Murray back they will need that 4.4M plus the 766K they get for sending Woll down. Less Murrays hit leaves them about 500K of LTIR space available
Thanks for the insight. I guess they're cap-strapped. Thank God.

Reactions: CDN24

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Can we just move Arizona to Quebec ASAP!!??
*Nope*
bettman.jpg

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Svechnikov had a 19 game goal drought before tonight…imagine the chaos if he did that in a Habs uni
Honestly he's a great player I feel like he's having a tough season though. Type of guy who has all the tools in the world but can't put it together at an elite level consistently, a bit like Eichel with VGK

DavePeak

Lane Hutson will win the Calder, Norris and Vezina
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
Yeah for some reason the Weber contract trade was first discussed in the trade proposal thread.

Also sharing here just in case

Kennedys

Jul 22, 2015
Saguenay
What's happening with the Yotes ? No regulation loss in their last 9 games (5-0-4) and they are ahead 3-2 tonight again. What the hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad