HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: 2024 Playoff Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Stupid question

Is a plenty if players drop there stick in physical play after the whistle????

They push and shove with 1 hand free

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Or you can say it took a generation 20-25 years to establish a foothold and many of those non-traditional markets are starting to spit out NHL talent.
Meh
NHL has been in California for 60 years
They were in Atlanta in the 70's & again 90's

US youth hockey has been growing, to be sure, but so has the overall us population.

It's increased by 60M (or almost 2 Canada's) in that time.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if Hockey participation as a % of population has been flat or even decreased in that time.

The pro sports contracts across the board have increased significantly. That draw + the income barrier to play hockey + the development & expansion of the USNDTP are all bigger factors in the increase of NHL talent coming out of "non traditional markets" than the existence of the yotes or bolts or panthers etc.

Celebrini played Sharks youth hockey,
Because his Canadian dad signed him up for it... As he likely would've in any city he moved to.

Golden Sealswere an NHL expansion team in the bay area in the 70's.

Sharks have been around since '91

That he played "sharks" youth hockey is largely irrelevant to his NHL pathway

Matthews Yotes youth hockey,
USNDTP product...

Robertson brothers Kings youth hockey till they moved to Detroit for Wings sponsored youth program.
Kinda like Crosby leaving Cole harbour (no NHL team) :dunno:

Talented youth athletes relocating to centers of development is a rapidly expanding aspect of all sports with professional career pathways
The tidal wave of 1st rounders coming from US system is growing year over year.
$$ explains that, see above

I can only speak of how popular & ultra competitive hockey is here in the Northeast - the MidFairfield program is the #1 program in the country and are defending Quebec Pee Wee champs and likely to win again next Feb.
Sure. But that's not a product of Bettman's actions.

CT lost its NHL team under his watch :naughty:

Hockey will never match popularity of NFL, NBA, MLB in the US but it’s made significant strides

And all 4 may well end up below soccer in popularity 100 years from now

Careful with the "never/always" lens... The sports landscape does shift over the decades, largely tied to business decisions (bad and good) by the respective leadership.

I'd absolutely agree that it's highly unlikely that hockey surpasses the other 3, but hockey's lagging relative growth is a reflection of Bettman's failures, imo, hence why I found it odd to see your post. I think the success you ascribe to him is more akin to BargainBin's cup run rather than management & leadership excellence.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
All in a tongue in cheek kind of way.

Wouldn’t mind a Canadian team winning it but in this particular case, would be totally surprising as they did nothing to shore up their goalie situation over many years. They’d prove that relying on offensive superstars can help mask many a flaw.

What I'm most impressed with about Edmonton this year is their team game. The coaching staff and leadership group has everyone buying in. They're paying the price every shift and Draisaitl/McDavid are being generational.

I'm I the only one rooting for the Oilers to win?

No. But I've always had Edmonton as a second team so I'm biased. Expos, Oilers, Cf Montreal, Canadiens, it's been a shit 30 years.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I'm watching Memorial Cup on my big screen but have the Oilers-Stars on on my smaller TV. I haven't been watchign it. I see shots are 15-6 for Dallas but Oilers lead 2-0. Has goaltending been the difference?

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh
Really? 6 shots with 9 minutes left in the 2nd? :huh:

Yeah they are playing a good puck possession game and dominating the cycle around the boards.

And I missed the start of the game, it may have not been this way in the first few minutes .

McJesus is getting double shited and getting grade A chances pretty much everytime he is on the ice.

But as a whole, the guys in dark blue are playing a rock solid team game.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
OK. Interesting given shots are 17-6 for Dallas. I'm watching it now with the Memorial Cup final in the 2nd intermission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad